[SOLVED] Latest Update Causes Disconnect from TV Every Time I Play Something

Hi All -
I’ve had a perfectly stable system for months but did the update today and now am having a strange issue.

When I start up OSMC on my RPi3 the system boots fine. I have everything running through a Sony receiver to my TV. No issues at all.

Problems start when I actually play something. All of the sudden, my TV loses connection to the receiver and acts like nothing is plugged in. Typically within 5 seconds or so video comes up but on at least one occasion I was unable to get the item to actually come on the TV despite audio playing through the receiver speakers and Yatse clearly showing that the item was playing.

Again, entirely new. Was something changed that could have caused this? I’m in the air about buying an Nvidia Shield and this may push me over the line but wanted to check to see if anyone has any thoughts. Not sure what would help (would a log perhaps from Kodi? Some other log from OSMC? a video recording of what’s going on?)

Thanks in advance.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Try disabling Adjust Refresh Rate under Settings → Playback.

Seems to have done the trick. Thanks Sam, as always.

I’m having the same problem, but having difficulty locating the settings -> playback option in the osmc menus you mention @sam_nazarko. Any additional pointers?

Settings -> Player -> Video

1 Like

I think this is about the 5th time this has come up with this new release.
Maybe it is worth adding info about it to the announcement- explaining the symptom and cure and even why it effects some people and not others

I don’t think there’s any great mystery about the reason for the change - it gives you improved playback quality. On a Vero 4K or Pi 4 the Kodi UI isn’t optimised to run at 4K, so it has to run at 1080p. That means, if you don’t enable Adjust Refresh Rate, all 4K videos will be downscaled to 1080p. Obviously you can’t play 4K videos on a Pi 2 or 3, but there’s a second issue: on any platform, without enabling Adjust Refresh Rate, all videos will be frame-rate-converted to the UI refresh rate, which can give jerky playback - enabling it matches the output refresh rate to the frame rate of the video. The (minor) price you pay is that the screen will go black for a few seconds whenever there’s a mode switch. You don’t need to lose any of the video while that’s happening - if you set an appropriate delay in “Settings / System / Display / Delay after change of refresh rate”, then Kodi will change mode, then wait the specified amount of time before starting playback.

1 Like

For someone without a 4K screen and not trying to play 4K content, is it an advantage or not to have it set?

Yes, there is a disadvantage for any scenario: Video is not output at its source framerate which introduces judder and even severe stutter when you e.g. playback a 50fps file with 60fps output set. The only way to have proper source playback is with framerate switching enabled… As our device is aimed at offering good playback quality it makes sense to enable this setting by default, we agreed. If users would like to choose no HDMI handshake gaps (black screen between the framerate changes) over better playback quality, this can very well be done by disabling the setting once again :slightly_smiling_face:

What I’m suggesting is that the announcement posting makes it clear that there has been a change in behaviour in a way that makes it clear for those users that do read that stuff before upgrading or soon after when something strange happens after an upgrade.

Problem with mine was there was at least one video tested that just wouldn’t play. The minor delay/black screen isn’t what made me come to the forum, it was a video that just wouldn’t display at all (see original post, Yatse showed video playing, audio was working, no video at all). I can turn the refresh rate back on and provide a log if that is helpful.