[SOLVED] Vero won't boot

Hi,

I wondered yesterday why I’ve never seen my vero update it self, so I went to the update tab and clicked the manual update, about 120 updates were available and it started installing them.

It got stuck how ever at “Setting up armv7-network-osmc (1.5.9) …” and after it had been stuck there for about 1.5 hour I first tried pulling the ethernet cable and when nothing happened, the power plug.
I know this is a bad thing to do while it’s installing packages, but really had no other options.

So now it wont boot and just stops as you can see on the picture.

From the logs I think I’ve found what went wrong during the update. The package manager expected user input for a connman file, but that was … well pretty difficult to know.
From the logs:

Setting up armv7-network-osmc (1.5.9) ...

Configuration file '/etc/connman.conf'
==> File on system created by you or by a script.
==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
  D     : show the differences between the versions
  Z     : start a shell to examine the situation
The default action is to keep your current version.
*** connman.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? 

All log output: http://paste.osmc.io/fiqefigeni

So, how do I get my Vero up and running again?

You could always as a last resort take out the SD card and re-load the software on it using the installer from Download - OSMC . The Vero can’t be “bricked”.

Maybe someone else can help you in a more technical manner to maybe get in un-stucked however without having to reload the software.

I’m not sure how I get access to the SD card in the Vero. Don’t wanna ruin the case. If I did, yes, I’ll just have re-flashed the software.

I tried loggin in through SSH and running a manual update there, the problem still persists though.

Update log: http://paste.osmc.io/uvepilihul.coffee

If you still can access it via SSH nothing is lost at all.
Try (I always suggest to run this in a screen session)

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo reboot

For your question how to get the SD card out please check the wiki https://osmc.tv/wiki/vero/frequently-asked-questions/

After pulling the plug at that time you may want to run this from a SSH session to try fixing anything that is broken
sudo apt-get -f install

Alright, I’ve updated the topic title.

No packages (or newer debian versions) were available, so dist-upgrade didn’t do much.

@shadow
I already did a reinstall of those packages which didn’t get installed in the first update (sudo dpkg --configure -a)
Still tried your suggested command though, but no packages were upgraded or reinstalled.

Going through the logs again, this seems a bit odd.

Setting up vero-image-4.1.7-2-osmc (2) ...

Hmm. There is a symbolic link /lib/modules/4.1.7-2-osmc/build
However, I can not read it: No such file or directory
Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/4.1.7-2-osmc/build

Hmm. The package shipped with a symbolic link /lib/modules/4.1.7-2-osmc/source
However, I can not read the target: No such file or directory
Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/4.1.7-2-osmc/source

Running depmod.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 4.1.7-2-osmc /boot/vmlinuz-4.1.7-2-osmc
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/inform-updater 4.1.7-2-osmc /boot/vmlinuz-4.1.7-2-osmc
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/process-vmlinuz-vero 4.1.7-2-osmc /boot/vmlinuz-4.1.7-2-osmc

Manual update from SSH

Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u1) ...
/sbin/ldconfig.real: /opt/vero/lib/libOpenVG.so is not a symbolic link

Exactly the same problem for me. Seems that OSMC hasn’t updated for months (even though auto update was on). Doing a manual update got it stuck at the exact same point. After a few hours I SSHed in and killed the dpkg process, and now bootup fails at the same point.

After running sudo dpkg --configure -a it found I had conflicts with sshd_config as well as connman.conf (which I guess couldn’t be solved non-interactively by the installer).

Running kodi from the command line results in kodi starting but promptly crashing (although it mostly seems to be complaining about not being able to mount my NFS shares).

I’ll keep poking around a bit more. How do I trigger an OSMC manual update from the command line?

Christopher

I think you already did, with the dpkg --configure

It seems like the updater from within OSMC is just executing apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

But great to know I’m not the only one having this problem :slight_smile:

You need to be using dist-upgrade rather than just upgrade.

The “Hm” messages are not errors and none of the other ones in your post are, so that’s OK.

Many months ago, @DBMandrake and I reworked the updater to ensure you never receive a prompt like this. However, to get this new updater, you need to be up to date. We now mark ConnMan and SSH files as conffiles and always keep the user’s local version in future.

If you run a full update and dist-upgrade, you should find yourself on the latest version and should be able to update normally in the future

Your SD card can be removed easily at any time if you ever need to.

S

dist-upgrade gives me

Reading package lists… Done
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Calculating upgrade… The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
armv7-libafpclient-osmc libflac8 libx11-6 libx11-data libxau6 libxcb1 libxdmcp6 vero-image-3.14.14-6-osmc vero-image-3.14.37-3-osmc
Use ‘apt-get autoremove’ to remove them.
Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

I also tried sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install vero-mediacenter-osmc --reinstall which came recommended on another thread to reinstall OSMC, but no joy.

I’m starting to wonder if there is some issue with the SD card.
dmesg always reports
[ 4.741616] FAT-fs (mmcblk0p1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
even after a clean reboot.

I think it may just be time to backup the kodi settings and do a resinstall.

Yes, I tried that, but everything is up to date.

Just ran the update again
http://paste.osmc.io/oyeduluduh.pl

In both scenarios here APT does think it’s up to date. Things should just work now.

Try fsck /dev/mmcblk0p1 to repair your /boot partition

Unfortunately still the same.

fsck is reporting about a difference between the boot sector and its backup.
I’m given the options

1. Copy original to backup
  2. Copy backup to original

Tried the second one first, but both options leaves the filesystem unchanged.

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo fsck /dev/mmcblk0p1
fsck from util-linux 2.25.2
fsck.fat 3.0.27 (2014-11-12)
0x41: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
1) Remove dirty bit
2) No action
? 2
There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
This is mostly harmless. Differences: (offset:original/backup)
 65:01/00
1) Copy original to backup
2) Copy backup to original
3) No action
? 1
Leaving filesystem unchanged.
/dev/mmcblk0p1: 16 files, 53981/489976 clusters

After another few hours of trying force reinstalling a number of packages with no joy, I bit the bullet, backed up the Kodi settings and reinstalled the SD card from scratch. Everything now working fine.
Not sure what went wrong here, perhaps the gap between updates was just too far.

Where is the kodi settings located, just the “.kodi” folder in the home directory?

Yes. I think you can get away with just backing up the userdata folder, but I took the lot.

Great, thanks. How did you re-flash the vero?
I tried using dd and the .img, but that method doesn’t seem to work. Atleast I got “bad superblock” while trying to mount the root partition afterwards.

Just use the installer from Download - OSMC
Don’t use any dd or other imaging solutions