Soundbar and Vero 4K

hi @sam_nazarko

should i use optical audio with these settings or better use hdmi?

alao i dont really get these 2 channels, can either hdmi or optical carry 5.1 sound to the soundbar? if yes, which one do you recommend? (optical or hdmi)

I would use HDMI personally.

2 Likes

thank you.

I’m a bit lost with these many options, my setup is basically:

vero 4k + samsung tv + soundbar

I can connect these with basically anything (hdmi and optical or hdmi and hdmi) but not sure which one would be the optimal and what would be the corresponding best setting in vero.

I know the tutorial is dealing with a lot of scenario but i didnt find one that deals with tv+soundbar.

If you/somebody could give me a guide on connections and settings that would be truly amazing as I’m not an expert in these things but would like to enjoy 5.1 sound.

thank you all!

The link I provided explains the options for your exact scenario!

I have a samsung tv with pcm and dts 2.5 support and a soundbar connected to the tv with hdmi. I have no clue what setup i need to select, despite i read the wiki two times :frowning: also i dont know whether i should select pcm or dts 2.5 on the tv as i cant see dts neo 2.5

Can you let us know what the make and model of your TV and soundbar are? :slightly_smiling_face:

yes, thanks Chillbo, so i’m using the following:
vero 4k
samsung tv UE40H7000SL (on this one only PCM and NEO 2.5 are active for some reason)
bose soundbar 700 (with a subwoofer, bose has no display where i could verify what sound format it gets)

connections i have:
vero 4k: 1 hdmi or 1 optical (hdmi goes to tv for sure for the video, can add optical to tv or soudbar)
tv: multiple hdmi with arc or 1 optical
soundbar: I have 1 hdmi and 1 optical on this

thanks so much in advance!

No. You appear to have one HDMI input and one HDMI output. You should use both.

Wrong. Send the hdmi through the soundbar. Connect the soundbar HDMI output to the ARC input on your TV.

hey @grahamh,

the soundbar has one hdmi only. I can’t send it through the soundbar. it has one hdmi and an optical only.

If it only has 1 HDMI, then the best connection would be:

Vero -> HDMI -> TV and TV (ARC) -> HDMI -> Bose

Depending on your TV, you may or may not get HD audio this way. If you chose the optical connection, you are limited to DD 5.1/DTS 5.1

1 Like

thanks @bmillham, i will connect both with hdmi as you suggested,

how should i translate this setup to kodi settings and tv sound setup? on tv i can have pcm or neo 2.5. On OSMC i have a bunch of options from hdmi to pcm from 2 channel to 5.1, from ac3 transcode etc…

PCM on the 4K and TV (no idea what NEO 2.5 is). On the 4K 5.1 and passthrough.

Re-read the original linked article, it covers all of that.

okay, i will give it a try. when last time i tried 5.1 i had no voice (spoken words) coming out from the soundbar. maybe it was my mistake

So when it says

HDMI output with Audio Return Channel (ARC)

on their website, they are mistaken?

Usually, this happens if you send 5.1 to a stereo-only device so that you hear only FL and FR channels, the other channels are lost.

hi @grahamh, believe me, this has no hdmi :slight_smile: the soundbar 300 has, but not the 700 that i have. This model has one hdmi and one optical only.

@bmillham: I tried to set both 4K and tv to PCM and the channels on the Vero 4K to 5.1, but it still has no speech sound :frowning:

Are there any other suggestion i could try? I’m going crazy with this setup, neither of the suggestions are working :frowning:

Do you have passthrough enabled?

yes, I did enable it (I didn’t change it, it was always enabled)

Also just an update how cables go:
VERO 4K - TV - with hdmi, goes to hdmi 1 slot
BOSE SOUNDBAR 700 - TV - with hdmi, goes to hdmi slot 2 (ARC)

Do you get the center channel if you listen via the TV. Start simple.

let me check this. if yes, what would it suggest?

If yes, then it’s most likely a setting on the TV preventing the audio from being passed untouched to the soundbar.