A few weeks ago, I purchased a Shield TV 2019 tube version, but it has been giving me a lot of problems. If it works, it works very snappy and smooth, but mostly it has been giving me problems with 4K HDR with HD audio videofiles, which sometimes makes the Shield UI be very slow and unresponsive with choppy playback where the video has to catch up to the audio, even after I increased kodi’s video cache and readfactor and it’s connected through ethernet on a 1Gb/s cable. Other issues are that when the problems with 4K HDR files occur, the Shield remote randomly stops working while sometimes my TV’s remote with CEC does still work, or that kodi crashes back to the main menu of the shield, or that the entire Shield has to be restarted.
I’m getting pretty fed up with this since I just can’t get it to work smoothly 99-100% of the time. I can still return it free of charge, so I was thinking of switching to the Vero 4K+. Ofcourse, I would then lose the Android TV os and its apps, which isn’t that much of an issue since those apps are also available on my LG tv and I’d gladly exchange that for a smooth and working Kodi.
What I would want in a media player device:
- completely smooth playback of video files up to 4K HDR10 on Kodi
- passthrough of HD audio like TrueHD (Atmos) or DTS-HD/X
- a fast and snappy UI which doesn’t lag, freeze up or crash
- wake on hdmi CEC, so when I select the correct hdmi input on my LG TV, the Vero automatically starts (so no 2nd remote is necessary and so the Vero can be completely out of sight in a cupboard)
- Being able to map more buttons (like red/green/yellow/blue) with CEC to functions like play/pause/etc
Could someone confirm to me that the Vero 4K+ would do what I want? And this is probably not the place to ask here, but is it known that the Shield is kind of buggy/laggy when it comes to 4K HDR playback or losing connection with its remote? I doubt it has to do with my local network since it’s consistently around 900-1000 Mb/s. I just wouldn’t want to switch it out for the Vero 4K+ to find out it gives me the same problems.