[TESTING] 4K HDR playback with banding & flickering fixes

Hi,

Around a month ago it looks like we resolved the HDR flickering issue, but some banding was visible. We’ve been making some progress thanks to extensive testing, but this still required manual intervention to get this to work properly. This should now no longer be the case.

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we potentially release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

With any luck, HDR playback no longer exhibits flickering or banding. We need to make sure this doesn’t cause problems for situations where a user is not playing HDR content.

Cheers

Sam

2 Likes

Still banding here with Linux vero4k 3.14.29-75-osmc #1 SMP Wed Mar 28 16:01:14 UTC 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Please post a debug log and output of: sudo systemctl status hdr.service. It can take a couple of seconds for banding to disappear because we have to poke it from user-space (although that will be addressed shortly)

Cheers

Sam

Ah – I know what it is – you need an uptime of 1min currently.

Like Sam said, wait up until 1 min and you should see the change (hopefully)

I’ll tweak this and re-build so it works more instantly.

It seems to look good indeed, it was always really good to see with Martorius his test file, but that is only a few seconds long :slight_smile:

Thanks for testing.

Please can you try updating again? It should work from the start now.

Looks fine for me, just as setting round1 manually (I removed the Kodi Callback script before testing).

1 Like

No need to run “echo “444,10bit” | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr” anymore, right?

Bitdepth and the actual banding patch are two different things. If you needed to set bitdepth before applying the actual patch, you have to continue doing so.

Hehe yeah I usually just pause it while testing :slight_smile:

It seems to not work anymore, unless I pause the movie.
When I pause it, you instantly see it changing for the better.

Can anyone else confirm this, ideally with a debug log?

1 out of 5 worked right away without banding, the rest didn’t change within 15sec.
I can enable debugging tomorrow though, going to bed now…

No problem.
I’m probably being too conservative in how frequently I poke the reg. I’ll flip it back and push it shortly

If you can update again tomorrow that will be good

Thanks for testing

Will test and report soon

Something is not working the way it should:
Only in very rare cases the banding disappears by using the new timer method.
But if I start the new hdr service manual by using “sudo systemctl start hdr” the banding always disappears immediately. I therefore checked by using “systemctl list-timers” if the service is triggered within the given frequency by the timer and indeed it is.
So what’s going wrong here?
I changed the timer/service in order to switch between round0 and round1 everytime the service gets triggered, but this did not solve the issue. Then I tried to reduce the trigger frequency to 1s but this did not help either. I’m out of ideas now.

Thanks for your testing.

Try update again and reboot.

If you still have no joy I have a workaround – but I’d be surprised if any further changes beyond this are necessary.

As explained, this is a temporary fix. I did have a better fix, but this is now deferred to the SoC vendor as they have further improvements which will address the problem in a better manner. This requires a microcode update however (binary blob)

Sam

I did update again, but it still does only work in very rare cases (as Theetjuh already had written).
The only way it works reliable is to start the service manually after playback has been started.