[TESTING] Kodi 17 (Krypton) Beta Builds for all platforms

Used the commands at the top of the thread to update my ATV to Krypton.

Everything works more or less as expected. The problems I have are:

1. Slower, as in much MUCH slower, menu responses. With the old install menu selections, say move up or down the list, were instant. With the current install half the time I hit the button again, only to have the selection move twice a couple seconds later.

2. Airplay is significantly less reliable. While it happened once or twice over many months of use with the Kodi install, I have to restart the mediacenter more than once a day since the upgrade. Also, it takes many seconds to start playing. Before it was the ā€œstandardā€ two seconds or so.

3. Network access is slower. When I SSH into the box it takes a long time to authorize, everything seems slower. According to ā€œtopā€ there is 83~87% idle, with music streaming to the box. Almost no change if I stop streaming. Copying video files to the box, however, doesnā€™t seem to be affected - 11~12 MBps according to terracopy, same as before.

AirPlay remains untouched in this Kodi version; but the slower performance is probably causing this.

Possibly a DNS lookup being slow. The kernel hasnā€™t been changed and the userland is the same. Does stopping Kodi bring back better network performance?

Unfortunately, Kryptonā€™s just a bit heavy for some old devices like AppleTV. Iā€™ll see what I can do to keep it alive, but at this point it is becoming a bit of a challenge.

I appreciate that someone with an AppleTV is finally testing and giving feedback for Krypton. Thanks!

I too was seeing this issue, one of the many reasons I selfishly downgraded back to Jarvis for without doing logs.

Kodi Beta 6 will land shortly.
I should have a resolution by then.

Thanks for the quick reply Sam.

DNS was my first guess too. But no other devices have that problem, and it was not an issue before the upgrade. It could be a coincidence, but ā€¦

I didnā€™t test with kodi off. I shall do it right now ā€¦ Done.

With kodi off, atvclient is the biggest CPU hog at 2.3% and I am connected instantly.
With kodi on, after letting it settle for a couple/few minutes - I see 0% idle right after start - I get connected in about five second the first time, and there is a small, but definite, hesitation for the second and subsequent connections.

All the while one SSH session was connected and running top.

Also, I REALLY appreciate all the hard work you are putting into keeping these dinosaurs from going to the shredder.

Okay,

I will see if I can improve the performance. What skin are you using? Can you try with confluence to see if this helps.

November is always a very busy month. Iā€™ll see if I can get some time to look at this on the weekend

I am using whatever skin is the default. I will try confluence as soon as I get home to try it out.

Estuary I think ā€“ thatā€™s possibly too heavy for the aTV.

I had changed to OSMC skin. I canā€™t try confluence as itā€™s not present, and when I try to ā€œget moreā€ it just returns to the interface configuration screen.

Also, I just noticed that none of the plug-ins work, as they are listed as disabled.

Thanks again. In advance.

You can manually download and install the skin for now.

I am sure someone can download the skin and manually install it. I just seem not to be smart enough to find a place to download it from. :frowning:

Would confluence be a better/lighter choice than the skin that is the default in OSMC Kodi?

Not sure ā€“ thatā€™s why it needs testing :slight_smile:

I donā€™t think weā€™re going to find many other AppleTV testers until Krypton reaches final. Hopefully some other users show up before then.

Even though I have made the transition to the Vero 2, I hope to do some ATV1 testing eventually.
I need to run another ethernet cable to the TV or find someone with a spare hub lying around, before I can do that.

Yesterday I updated my OSMC raspberrypi from kodi 16 to the 17 beta all good.
Today I was looking to add a skin that needed addons and went to ā€œdownload add-onsā€ it then pops up saying could not connect to repository. Install from Repository gives the same result.

How do I proceed?
Is there somewhere I can check a default list?

I know it has internet access as its done all the movie and tv show scrapeing.

Please read the thread, the problem and solution are already covered here and on other threads too. It will be fixed automatically in a future update or there is a well documented workaround above.

Reading 234 posts isnā€™t very easy and when you do CTRL - F to highlight the word repository it goes into a forum search which you then have to bounce your way down till you reach the issue, anyway got it sortedā€¦

Due to a malconfigured URL in/usr/share/kodi/addons/repository.xbmc.org/addon.xml, had to replace http://download.osmc.tv/kodi/addons/jarvis/krypton.xml.gz with http://download.osmc.tv/kodi/addons/krypton/addons.xml.gz and so on.

Tick 'search this topic" and you stay within this thread

You have chosen to move to a beta development version, if you donā€™t want to search proactively for fixes to issues then you would maybe be safer staying with the stable version of OSMC/Kodi and waiting for the upgrade inn due course.

:joy:

Glad to see AppleTV works with KODI 17. I tried to load it and it failed.
Do I need a special file or the general one for AppleTV KODI 17?
The errors I got were to do with a duplicate file location.

I saw in posting above that I may have an old version of code:
dpkg -l | grep mediacenter-osmc | awk ā€˜{ print $3 }ā€™
16.1.0-24

Thanks for the support. Kodi 16 OSMC on AppleTV is amazing!

Thanks so much!