[TESTING] Kodi 17 (Krypton) Beta Builds for all platforms

• libsmbclient has not been changed since April
  • samba has not been changed since April
  • Kodi’s SMBFile routines have not been patched / changed in this time either.

I would suggest:

• Check your .smb directory in OSMC and see if it looks how you would expect.

There weren’t any OSMC updates released yesterday (unless you are using the experimental ‘staging’ repository), so I’m not sure from what version you upgraded from and which packages got updated. This is all in the logs however. The only package I can think of that got pushed to the Krypton (not staging) repository recently would have been a skin update. What’s your /etc/apt/sources.list look like?

SMB browsing via workgroups has always been touch and go, partially because of Kodi relying on a very old Samba implementation. But if there is any significant regression you can be sure that there will be many reports about this (as we had last time).

The actual problem is a ‘lack of change’. Kodi still targets Samba 3.x, and Debian Jessie uses 4.x version.

I have never recommended share browsing in Kodi and never will, because it relies on hostname resolution which can vary in reliability depending on the user’s network connection. A static IP approach is always a better bet.

If however, you believe there is a regression in connecting to shares from sources.xml to an SMB share directly, then please upload a full log. The above issue reported looks like SMB browsing is not enabled for all shares, but only specific ones. Please clarify your issue: is it with browsing shares, or connecting to them?

The quickest way to confirm if this is indeed a regression with a recent version is to grab an older one from the website.

Both

Browsing: When trying to browse my smb workfgroup from inside Kodi trying to later add a path (to functionally store a path in the combination souces.xml and passwords.xml config files) I see no shares. This is working as intended for me in OSMC Jarvis, not on OSMC Krypton BETAS.

Connecting: My source, preconfigured in sources.xml and password.xml is detected by Kodi but it shows that can’t negotiate get granted to access showing a “permission” problem in log. Over Kodi it shows a permanent dialog asking for the smb password of that share (despite the password.xml is pre populated with the password).

I’ll post full logs later.

A log for this is needed then. There don’t seem to be any changes in Kodi upstream from a quick glance however, so it would be appreciated if you could reinstall the October version of OSMC and confirm things still work as expected. Browsing has always been temperamental, and I strongly recommend adding sources by IP address only. Otherwise there can be too many variables: does DNS resolution work; did the remote host register with DNS correctly etc…

Okay – that sounds problematic. It would be good to see the logs, and if you can do a quick command line check to make sure you can connect OK, that would help.

Also would be good to know if downloading October version runs OK.

I understand, but here we are talking of the same network config for the last 5 years and for me it is behaving well in combination with XBMC/Kodi since RaspBMC. So for me it’s very strange not that I cannot browse shares only; It even doesn’t show the list of Samba hostnames which is the first level that always shows the browsing. Seems weird for me.[quote=“sam_nazarko, post:167, topic:19585”]
Okay – that sounds problematic. It would be good to see the logs, and if you can do a quick command line check to make sure you can connect OK, that would help.

Also would be good to know if downloading October version runs OK.
[/quote]

Ok, I’ll catch you with full logs later, now i’m far from terminals and kodis. Sorry for ask but with October you mean to try an OSMC Jarvis with October update or Krypton with October new goodies?

OK – you must grant that some networks are not the same, so I make a broad statement with this. If it worked before with reasonable accuracy, it should still do so, but it seems like something has changed. Logs can hopefully show us what.

Yes, just a fresh Jarvis OSMC from Download - OSMC. The October images will be available on the download page soon.

I will update Krypton to Beta 5 shortly.

Hi, I am trying to update to The most Regent release but I geht errors with The skin package:

osmc@osmc-Preston:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Calculating upgrade… The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
rbp2-image-4.4.16-6-osmc
Use ‘apt-get autoremove’ to remove it.
Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
rbp2-image-4.4.27-2-osmc
The following packages will be upgraded:
armv7-libsqlite-osmc armv7-splash-osmc base-files-osmc mediacenter-addon-osmc mediacenter-skin-osmc rbp-bootloader-osmc rbp-userland-osmc rbp2-kernel-osmc rbp2-libcec-osmc
9 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 8638 kB/38.6 MB of archives.
After this operation, 70.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Get:1 http://apt.osmc.tv/ krypton/main mediacenter-skin-osmc all 4.2.0-1 [8638 kB]
Fetched 8655 kB in 3s (2634 kB/s)
E: Failed to fetch http://apt.osmc.tv/pool/main/m/mediacenter-skin-osmc/mediacenter-skin-osmc_4.2.0-1_all.deb Size mismatch

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

Of course I ran apt-get update … And help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Eriol

Try running

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

In an hour. I’ve rebuilt the skin package as I saw a user with this error earlier.

The Kodi release remains unchanged however, and the version of libCEC currently included (4.0.0) will not be compatible after upgrade. New builds of Kodi (Beta 5) will arrive in a few hours. So I would recommend just updating the skin for now, which can be done with:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mediacenter-skin-osmc

Sam

That worked fine. Thank you.

Cheers
Spart

@sam_nazarko

Before I recount my beta-install experience and status quo, one quick question: are we still on Beta 3?

I just turned on my Pi2 and had a update notification, however this thread still has “Kodi Krypton Beta 3” at the first post.

Also, upon this lat update I did lose CEC functionality, which seems to go with your last post here.

Possibly the October update, which was released yesterday.

The latest version is still Beta 3. Beta 5 will come later today. Then the top post will be updated as well.

Can’t wait to test CEC 4.0.0 :smiley:

Thank you, Sam.

Regarding my update process: I migrated from the last stable RPi2 OSMC version to the official beta build 3 days ago.

I got an endless :frowning: loop, which I was able to circumvent by moving ~/.kodi. A few experiments later and taking into account some other reports on this thread, I ended up erasing my old Addons databases (versions 20 and 26), restarting OSMC with the old ~/.kodi folder, and got everything up and running. I’m afraid I don’t have logs for the whole process, but would suggest that the Addonsdb migration process might need some looking into.

Everything else seems OK, generally speaking. The only noticeable fault I’ve experienced is that some video files that played fine in the stable version will now stutter; some rare instances always give me trouble, a few others will only throw up hiccups after a first skip/seek, but the vast majority works A-OK.

I’m not sold on the new skin, though, but I’ll give feedback on that in the proper thread.

Logs needed to work on that

Much appreciated: we need as much feedback as possible.

Heh, some early upgraders seem to suggest that libCEC 4.0.0 is completely broken. We will soon see :slight_smile:

This did not work for me; I still get

osmc@osmc-Preston:~$ sudo apt-get install mediacenter-skin-osmc
Paketlisten werden gelesen… Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen… Fertig
Die folgenden Pakete werden aktualisiert (Upgrade):
mediacenter-skin-osmc
1 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 9 nicht aktualisiert.
Es müssen 8.638 kB an Archiven heruntergeladen werden.
Nach dieser Operation werden 4.792 kB Plattenplatz zusätzlich benutzt.
Holen: 1 http://apt.osmc.tv/ krypton/main mediacenter-skin-osmc all 4.2.0-1 [8.638 kB]
Es wurden 8.655 kB in 3 s geholt (2.799 kB/s).
E: Fehlschlag beim Holen von http://apt.osmc.tv/pool/main/m/mediacenter-skin-osmc/mediacenter-skin-osmc_4.2.0-1_all.deb Größe stimmt nicht überein

E: Einige Archive konnten nicht heruntergeladen werden; vielleicht »apt-get update« ausführen oder mit »–fix-missing« probieren?
osmc@osmc-Preston:~$

Did you run sudo apt-get update first?

I have updated the test builds to Kodi Beta 5. Key improvements:

• Various upstream improvements
  • OSMC skin is available for testing
  • USB automounting should now work as expected
  • Fix for hardware video decoding on Vero 2
  • New libCEC 4.0.0 library
  • Fixed Krypton add-on repository so that add-ons from the Kodi repository can now be downloaded and updated properly
  • All builds will show the correct version ‘Beta 5’, to avoid confusion re. what version you are actually on.

Note: that there are some issues with updating built-in add-ons in this version. This is acknowledged by Team Kodi and expected to be fixed in Beta 6.

Your feedback is appreciated, and needed! You can update to the latest version by following the instructions on the first post here.

Thanks

Sam

Yes, I did. Always do before update or install …

I am not getting that problem here, but it was an issue earlier for some users. You may have a caching proxy on your ISP.

I do not know what’s wrong here or what I am doing wrong. I used the test builds before, and the repo is probably still there. I changed to the betas following your guide in 1st post, and normally I can install all daily updates.

Still get

The following packages will be upgraded:
armv7-libsqlite-osmc armv7-splash-osmc
base-files-osmc mediacenter-addon-osmc
mediacenter-skin-osmc rbp-bootloader-osmc
rbp-userland-osmc rbp2-kernel-osmc
rbp2-libcec-osmc rbp2-mediacenter-osmc
10 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 8638 kB/73.7 MB of archives.
After this operation, 70.6 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Get:1 http://apt.osmc.tv/ krypton/main mediacenter-skin-osmc all 4.2.0-1 [8638 kB]
Fetched 8655 kB in 4s (1895 kB/s)
E: Failed to fetch http://apt.osmc.tv/pool/main/m/mediacenter-skin-osmc/mediacenter-skin-osmc_4.2.0-1_all.deb Size mismatch

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
osmc@osmc-Preston:~$