[TESTING] Kodi v19 builds for Vero 4K / 4K +

A new log with that whitelist setting would help.

Thanks for all the great work you’re doing

There is a problem with 25fps and 50fps playback on the Vero 4k+. It doesn’t appear on the new rpi4 version nor on Leia. Leia worked perfectly without any whitelisting so does the rpi4.

25fps judder is the most obvious, 50fps is less so but still obvious using test files

It’s also not TV dependent since I’ve tried the Vero4k on 2 different TVs with the same issue

It’s also not a network problem since local files have the same issue

I installed a new build, used the OSMC skin with no additional addons and just the minimal of settings, such as setting the display and setting the player to change res on start/stop and it made no difference

I’ve investigated the discap alterations as suggested since my main TV (Sony Bravia 4K) has never reported 1080p25 as being available (same as on Leia and rpi4) and added in missing 1080p25 but it didn’t help even with de-whitelisting

I’ve whitelisted every option I can think of and fixed the stutter by de-whitelisting 1080p25 and 50 and playing 25p at 2160p25 but then interlaced TV was a problem

From my observations, using no whitelisting, it seems to only affect progressive files and not interlaced

I’ll recreate the problem and send over some logs later today

This is a new build from the April image then updated to the latest version. I think it’s the 1st August build based on the system info screen

These are the logs

https://paste.osmc.tv/efunituvuz

I hope I got that right, not uploaded logs before. Let me know if it’s not.

this is the test file, 25fps

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4
Format settings : CABAC / 3 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 3 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 10 min 0 s
Bit rate : 707 kb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.014
Stream size : 50.6 MiB (76%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Commercial name : Dolby Digital
Codec ID : A_AC3
Duration : 10 min 0 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 224 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 16.0 MiB (24%)
Title : AC-3 Dolby Digital 224 Kbit/s
Language : English
Service kind : Complete Main
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Sometimes the judder starts after a few plays but on this occasion it started on thge first playback

Incidentally, I tried mp4 and mkv, 8bit and 10bit, AVC and HEVC and even HDR and all files had the same judder issue.

1 Like

We need some more debug log messages. So please turn on the component specific debug log messages for “video” and “a/v sync timings”. Then play the test clip for about 10 seconds. Then post the new logs.

Many thanks

https://paste.osmc.tv/imecapiriz

I think I’ve got that right

Juddered on first play

Incidentally also judders if I play a 4k25p file and not just limited to 1080p

I think we will need a sample to see if we can reproduce this. Can you upload one to videosam.pl, please?

I get this error when trying to upload

Error uploading sample. Please try again later

That’s still being migrated. I can bring that up later this evening with any luck.

Sam

What is the difference in the setting for HDR between Auto and Passthrough?

Passthrough will send HDR to your display even if it doesn’t support it. May be useful if you have an HDR TV and an AVR that doesn’t recognise HDR. YMMV.

“Forced” might be a better name?

1 Like

The label is ‘Force passthrough’. Not clear enough?

2 Likes

Thanks!

I upgraded my stock Vero 4K+ from Leia to Matrix last night, which was skinned with Aeon Silva Nox, using Seren, Trakt and a few minor addons, and it was a total no-go. I was getting dozens and dozens of apps that could not upgrade, Aeon Nox said it was the wrong version etc etc.

I then flashed the latest build onto a USB drive via the PC install program, rebooted and did a clean install, immediately followed by all the updates.

Once I’d been reminded to use Expert menus (which had defaulted back to Standard) I got everything re-installed and up and running quite quickly. I was disappointed with the incredibly jerky/semi-unresponsive interface but I eventually realised this was because it was still scanning in 9000 songs and several hundred TV shows from my drive. (The scanning details were not visible as Aeon Flux overwrites the top bar when it does something and it never returns.)

Since the scan completed I am more than happy with the latest development build - no issues so far and not one single error in the log after running for 2 hours which is something v18 could only dream of.

Thank you for all your work.

1 Like

Thanks for all your help so far

I have some further information that might be helpful

The files affected are TV Shows off disk or recorded by TV Headend. We have no PVR setup, we have SkyQ but the TV Headend files are downloaded to the media server. They are either already in 25fps, encoded keeping the interlacing, bobbed to 50fpps or deinterlaced to 25fps. Only progressive are affected. We have hundreds of such progressive 25fps files and this issue is a showstopper for us. Some of these files are years old and played on various Kodi version going back many years and over the last 3 years on Vero 4k+. And the judder test file I was using was from a commercially produced set of test files.

I double checked again and on the same TV, same AV, same test file (25fps 1080p).

The file plays without judder on … Vero 4k+ Leia (we have 3 boxes), OSMC Matrix rpi4, Libreelec 10 on rpi4 and infuse 7 on Apple TV 4k

But on Vero 4K+ Matrix fresh build and fully up to date there is serious judder (also affects 50fps to a lesser degree and 4k25p)

Previously I’ve tried the dispcap alterations, whitelisting, used local files. All of the other devices have no alterations and are fresh installs with minimal changes just to run the tests apart from infuse which is just an app.

So either this Vero 4k+ and/or power supply (2018/19 purchase) only exhibits the fault under OSMC 19, or, OSMC 19 is causing the issue and the Vero 4k+ and power supply is ok, or, I am doing something wrong.

Next I reinstalled OSMC 18.9 on this box and restored the backup and can confirm that those test files play without judder.

Next I installed OSMC 19 on another of our Vero 4k+ boxes. Same as before, just display setting to 1080p60 and res change start/stop plus link to test files. Those same test files juddered.

Please share the file with us as well as some debug logs under v19 reproducing the problem.

Thanks Sam,

Debug logs were uploaded yesterday. Check my previous posts.

Can’t upload to your sample site. ‘Error uploading sample. Please try again later’

Can you upload the sample on an alternative site for now?

Thanks

Sam

any news on the AAC and refresh rate switching front?

Since the last couple of updates it came to me that there is a slight delay between downloading and actual installing the update. It seems that when pressing manual update via my osmc, scan for updates, after a short while the downloading starts but then the window which mention that an update can be installed doesn’t pop-up right away, but i need to press the button to go to the previous screen before it pop-up. Is this only at my system? In the end i still get all the updates installed.

https://paste.osmc.tv/omojuxucon