[TESTING] Kodi v21 release builds

From the top of my head, it wasn’t building, so I excluded it. I can check shortly.

Thanks for the report.

if it helps, this was the build-script I was using.

osmc@osmc5:/mnt/v1/build$ cat build-projectm.sh 
#!/bin/bash

cd visualization.projectm

#git pull

mkdir build
cd build

cmake -DADDONS_TO_BUILD=visualization.projectm  \
  -DADDON_EXTRA_ARGS="-DAPP_RENDER_SYSTEM=gles" \
  -DADDON_SRC_PREFIX=../.. \
  -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug \
  -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../../xbmc/kodi-build/addons \
  -DPACKAGE_ZIP=1 \
  ../../xbmc/cmake/addons

make
osmc@osmc5:/mnt/v1/build$

I haven’t tried to do a a build against the omega branch of OSMC, but appearently I had been building the Omega branch of projectm, which would explain why I see the version 21 in my addons.

osmc@osmc5:/mnt/v1/build/visualization.projectm$ git status
On branch Omega
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/Omega'.

nothing to commit, working tree clean
osmc@osmc5:/mnt/v1/build/visualization.projectm$

what git branch for osmc would I use for compiling against osmc Omega? is that what the master branch is on? or is it a different branch?

I did a git pull for osmc, and for projectm, and rebuilt projectm, zipped it up and installed it, and the latest [Omega] projectm code builds and installs and runs. (has version 21.0.1 now)

I may still be building against an older osmc though, because I didn’t update my symlink for it. I recall needing to do something special for that originally.

osmc@osmc5:/mnt/v1/build$ ls -l xbmc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 osmc osmc 94 Mar 1 18:20 xbmc → /mnt/v1/build/osmc/package/mediacenter-osmc/src/xbmc-4868e9c709bf9ccaa6e301b18acb9c5b7adaa1d9/

Hi @randallspicher

Thanks for your patience.
I’ve checked my notes.

I don’t believe we’ve ever included the ProjectM visualisation by default. It certainly was not present for Kodi v20.

I am doing a test build now to see if it’s feasible to include this in Kodi v21 by default. I’ll let you know shortly.

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

Looks like there is still a build problem – the same one I experienced at the end of last year: Visualizations - #13 by sam_nazarko

I am looking in to it.

I think my solution for kodi 20 was to build using the Omega branch of projectm.
and that still builds for me on the vero5 (which is now running Omega). but I use a symlink for xbmc,
xbmc -> /mnt/v1/build/osmc/package/mediacenter-osmc/src/xbmc-4868e9c709bf9ccaa6e301b18acb9c5b7adaa1d9/
and I do not recall where that ocid in the path comes from. is that directly from remote/master branch in the osmc git? I think I pulled the latest to build against…

It is also possible I installed some additional dev lib on the vero5 that I build on. The resulting zip from my build installs and runs fine on my 2nd [pristine] vero5 though.

if it helps, here’s a list of all the -dev packages I have installed on my build vero5.

smc@osmc5:/mnt/v1/build/osmc/package/mediacenter-osmc/src$ apt list --installed | grep -iP "\-dev"

WARNING: apt-real does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

autotools-dev/oldstable,oldstable,now 20180224.1+nmu1 all [installed,automatic]
dpkg-dev/oldstable,oldstable,now 1.20.13 all [installed,automatic]
libc-dev-bin/unknown,unknown,now 2.31-113 armhf [installed,automatic]
libc6-dev/unknown,unknown,now 2.31-113 armhf [installed,automatic]
libcrypt-dev/oldstable,now 1:4.4.18-4 armhf [installed,automatic]
libegl-dev/oldstable,now 1.3.2-1 armhf [installed,automatic]
libgcc-10-dev/oldstable,now 10.2.1-6 armhf [installed,automatic]
libgl-dev/oldstable,now 1.3.2-1 armhf [installed,automatic]
libgles-dev/oldstable,now 1.3.2-1 armhf [installed]
libglx-dev/oldstable,now 1.3.2-1 armhf [installed,automatic]
libnsl-dev/oldstable,now 1.3.0-2 armhf [installed,automatic]
libpthread-stubs0-dev/oldstable,now 0.4-1 armhf [installed,automatic]
libstdc++-10-dev/oldstable,now 10.2.1-6 armhf [installed,automatic]
libtirpc-dev/oldstable,oldstable-security,now 1.3.1-1+deb11u1 armhf [installed,automatic]
libvisual-0.4-dev/oldstable,now 0.4.0-17 armhf [installed]
libx11-dev/oldstable,oldstable-security,now 2:1.7.2-1+deb11u2 armhf [installed,automatic]
libxau-dev/oldstable,now 1:1.0.9-1 armhf [installed,automatic]
libxcb1-dev/oldstable,now 1.14-3 armhf [installed,automatic]
libxdmcp-dev/oldstable,now 1:1.1.2-3 armhf [installed,automatic]
linux-libc-dev/oldstable,oldstable-security,now 5.10.218-1 armhf [installed,automatic]
vero5-device-osmc/unknown,unknown,now 1.0.3 armhf [installed]
x11proto-dev/oldstable,oldstable,now 2020.1-1 all [installed,automatic]
xtrans-dev/oldstable,oldstable,now 1.4.0-1 all [installed,automatic]
osmc@osmc5:/mnt/v1/build/osmc/package/mediacenter-osmc/src$ 

I am able to build the projectm addon on the vero5 with those.

This thread is about Kodi v21.
Building the Omega (v21) version of the add-on appears broken. It was also broken for Nexus (v20).

I built it and it works in both Omega and Nexus. (the Omega projectm branch runs in Nexus as well as Omega)

You are building out of tree. It does not work when building in tree.

Thought I give the v21 a try on my backup Vero 4k +

Trying to play live tv streams on a Vero 4k + is ending in a quick black screen (expected), then a sad face and the media centrer restarting (except for h265 streams).
Backing up the userdata and starting fresh did not change anything.

Is there a setting that can be changed to prevent the crash?

The logs can be found here: https://paste.osmc.tv/veqobejixi
I replaced the media domain and paths.

In case the log file does not provide enough information and if it would help, I could prepare a temporary test endpoint with some streams to investigate.

Please let me know if this is the right place for this message.

Hi,

Thanks for the report.

Can you report the problem with other videos or is it only IPTV streams?
I don’t have access to IPTV here; but if it could be reproduced with a TVHeadend instance for example that would be useful to know.

Hi,

Only h264 IPTV streams, from what I was able to test so far and some of the IPTV recordings done outside of kodi (raw download from the catchup endpoint that the provider previously had).

I now have the test endpoint ready and I am happy for the osmc team to use it for testing.
What would be a good way to share the link with you?

I’d like to update Kodi v21 to top of tree first to see if that helps

I have updated to top of tree Kodi v21. There is still no v21.1 release yet, but there are a number of improvements.

I noticed an option, maybe it was there before, for “versions”.
Is Kodi doing something new to the library to handle different versions of the same movie (theatrical v, director’s cut)?

Thanks for the update

Sadly it did not change the crashing behaviour. Just tested v21 on a Pi3 B+ that is usually used headless for audio only, no issues there. Obviously the Pi3 will not play h265 streams.

Yes.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_versions

Huh… I’ve been doing this in my library already but manually.
I hope their implementation is intuitive.
I’ll find out next time I do a multi-version title.

I didn’t see a way to specify versions for playlist on full BD folders with seamless branching.
I’ll have to play around with that, because that would be awesome for the Clue (1985) UHD!