[TESTING] Kodi v21 release builds

Overview

The next version of Kodi v21 (codename Omega) has been released. We’ve worked hard to get this ready for OSMC on all supported platforms.

Supported platforms

This release supports:

• Vero 4K
  • Vero 4K +
  • Vero V
  • Raspberry Pi 2
  • Raspberry Pi 3
  • Raspberry Pi 4
  • Raspberry Pi 400

How to update

If you’re running a stable version of OSMC, then you should be able to update from a compatible platform without issue. Please make sure that you system is up to date first by going to My OSMC → Updates and initiating an update check; installing any outstanding updates.

Updating via the command line

To install the update which brings the new version of Kodi:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Run the following command to add the staging repository:
    echo 'deb http://apt.osmc.tv bullseye-devel main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list

Go to My OSMC → Updates again, and initiate an update check. Install the updates when prompted.

Tracking releases

There will inevitably be outstanding issues, so we plan to push some further test builds over the coming days as we receive feedback. Please keep in mind that the above command will need to be re-run every 14 days.

Known issues

Currently, we are aware of the following issues:

• TBC

Frequently asked questions

Q: I’ve installed the update and now I only have a black screen or a sad face loop, how do I fix this?
A: It’s possible that your Kodi userdata is causing an issue with the new version. The first recommendation would be to move it away and allow Kodi to generate a new userdata directory. This can be done by executing the following commands after accessing the command line:

sudo systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/.kodi-backup
sudo systemctl start mediacenter

Before attempting this, you may wish to try a more conservative approach, and delete ‘Addons.db’ only, as reports from users suggest that add-on migration is the problem

Q: I only see a black screen / hang on migrating add-ons, what should I do?
A: If you encounter this problem and a consider amount of time (more than half an hour) has passed, you should log in to the system and execute the above instructions from the previous question.

Q: I am using a shared library? Has the database version changed?
A: Yes. You should check that your other Kodi clients can be upgraded to this newer version of Kodi to keep your database synchronised across all devices.

Q: Are add-ons supported by Kodi Nexus supported in Kodi Omega?

A: Not necessarily. We suggest checking first before upgrading.

Q: I can’t find my add-ons anymore
A: To ensure compatibility where possible, Kodi disables any non-official add-ons by default when a new major version is released. You should be able to enable them manually under Settings. Note that this does not necessarily mean they be compatible with the new version of Kodi.

Q: Will my current skin work with Kodi Omega
A: Every Kodi version involves changes to the skinning engine. It’s advised to check with the developer of the skin you are using. The official OSMC skin and official Kodi Estuary skins are supported and maintained for Kodi Omega.

Q: My add-ons are not working, what can I do?
A: You should notify the developer of this add-on and ask them if there is a version compatible with the new version of Kodi. Unfortunately OSMC cannot do anything about this.

Q: How can I downgrade?
A: Unfortunately, downgrading is not trivial. However we will maintain Nexus images on our website for some time for your to re-install OSMC. If you discover a bug or issue, we are more interested in fixing it, as there will be users in a similar position, rather than having users downgrade.

Q: I don’t see all of my skin’s menus. What can I do to resolve this?
A: Please wait a few moments for the skin menus to be rebuilt. This may take a while to update if you have a number of add-ons on your system. If the issue persists, you should check that your skin is indeed compatible.

Q: CEC has stopped working, what can I do?
A: Power off your TV and device at the mains for 60 seconds, including your AV receiver if you have one. This usually resolves CEC issues.

Q: My question is not answered and I am experiencing an issue, what can I do?
A: Please start a new forum post, with detailed information so that we can assist you with your problem.

Changelog

• 29/05/2024: Initial release
  • 04/06/2024: updated to Omega latest; some fixes for downstream fixes; some fixes for Vero playback issues.
  • 05/06/2024: fix HW acceleration being disabled by default on Pi; added missing patches.
  • 22/07/2024: Update to top of Kodi v21 upstream

Let me know how you get on

Cheers

Sam

3 Likes

You appear to be overriding some of the out-of-box strings.po msgids in osmc-strings.po, and replacing some of the default strings used by the new versions feature.
for example, default kodi omega has this in the out-of-box strings.po

#. Add video version dialog title
#: xbmc/video/dialogs/GUIDialogVideoManagerVersions.cpp
#: addons/skin.estuary/xml/DialogVideoManager.xml
msgctxt “#40014
msgid “Add version”
msgstr “”

but in your strings-osmc.po, you appear to be going into some of the reserved range (40000+) for string IDs, and you are overriding it with this:

msgctxt “#40014
msgid “Italian”
msgstr “”

as well as a number of other default string values, which is making some of the dialogs non-nonsensical.

(version maintenance dialog says “Italian” instead of “Add Version” in OSMC … plus some other wacky text in some places.)

1 Like

Thanks. As Kodi introduces new strings we usually have to push ours further down. We did this recently, but it seems the changes were lost. I will check it again.

Can you try updating with this: https://paste.osmc.tv/raw/awizenuziy strings-osmc.po and see if it helps?

Cheers

Sam

I’m afraid you’re going to need to move more than a handful. They claiming a pretty big block:
# 40000 to 40800 are reserved for Video Versions feature
and are currently using all the IDs from 40000 to 40038, and another block from 40200+, and another from 40400+, and I imagine that will grow further in the future once people start using the feature a lot and request more functionality and select options to be added in.

it seems to me there ought to be a range reserved for use cases such as OSMC extensions, where core kodi, skins, scripts, and addons shouldn’t touch. (I imagine projects like LibreElec have similar needs) But the wiki only mentions some blocks in the 30000-39999 ranges as reserved for particular uses.

• strings 30000 thru 30999 reserved for plugins and plugin settings
  • strings 31000 thru 31999 reserved for skins
  • strings 32000 thru 32999 reserved for scripts
  • strings 33000 thru 33999 reserved for common strings used in add-ons

I haven’t seen anything documented anywhere else (other than comments in the core strings.po) about what Ids should be used for what…

You could try jumping to the 50000 range, but probably a new kodi feature will come along and start using that block as well in the next release…

Makes sense – I last did the strings rebase around October 2023 before versions was merged. I’ll get this updated shortly

Sam

@sam_nazarko
Many thanks for your hard work on this.

I have now updated 1x Vero 5 and 1x Vero 4k+ .
Aside from issues with skin support that was to be expected - I am using ‘xonfluence’ - all is running smoothly.
The skin issues were resolved by trawling through the Kodi skin support pages!
As far as I can tell everything is working well.
I am not really challenging Kodi as I mainly only run the YouTube plugin and video files saved via my Satellite receiver to my NAS.

1 Like

No issues here as well, played some various audio clips without issues, so looking good :+1:

1 Like

Other then the strings.po issue screwing up text for video versions functions, I have not seen any issues.

1 Like

I should have an update for that shortly. There’s room in the 38xxx block so I’ll use that.

I’ll also bring us to top of Omega which will include some audio (as well as other) audio improvements, and some video playback improvements we’ve resolved downstream.

I’m getting very low fps after installing this update.
logs: qeduxisese

Playback was fine before update. Horrible after update.

I moved your post as you were running the testing branch and installed the Kodi v21 test build and not the Kodi v20.5 update.

I have updated to the top of Kodi Omega branch which brings in a number of fixes. I’ve also worked on fixing the string issues reported by @randallspicher. But some string issues might persist, so please check. I didn’t have time to check thoroughly so just went for the obvious ones.

You can update the same way as above.

Cheers

Sam

You have hardware acceleration disabled.
If you enable it, the problem should be solved.

Also make sure your prime render method is set to direct to plane.

you were running the testing branch and installed the Kodi v21 test build

Oh my, I vaguely recall having switched to the testing channel because the main one didn’t support the Rpi4 yet. I must’ve been running test builds ever since :slight_smile:

You have hardware acceleration disabled.

I did not change this setting. So either the update disabled it, or I was running fine without it. I suspect the former.

If you enable it, the problem should be solved.

Also make sure your prime render method is set to direct to plane.

During troubleshooting I actually tried both these things separately without result. But combining them both did the trick.
I can watch TV again. Thank you so much!

It is entirely possible the update changed these settings. We are looking into that now that your report has made us aware of it.

Your welcome. Thanks for letting us know the issue was resolved.

Hi there,

FWIW I can confirm that HW acceleration gets disabled after the above update (obviously, the recommended steps fix it).

1 Like

Hmmm it is still enabled here with an Vero V :thinking:

The settings in question are Raspberry Pi specific.

1 Like