[TESTING] Linux 4.14 kernel for Raspberry Pi

We’d like to move away from Linux 4.9 to Linux 4.14 in the next OSMC update for Raspberry Pi.

We need to test this kernel to make sure that things work as expected, and those using additional hardware (such as I2S DACs) don’t experience any regressions.

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Thanks

Sam

1 Like

Is there a way to rollback to the old kernel?

Yes – but why do you need to do this?

Just wanted to know just in case.

Downgrading is easy, but hopefully you won’t need to do it. Let us know how you get on.

Upgrade done on Pi1 with Hifiberry DAC+ and all working as before.

Upgraded Pi 3 having an IQ Audio Pi-DigiAMP+. No problems noted in the hour since upgrade. Using Airplay from iOS 10.3.3.

Excellent. Many thanks for testing I2S DACS

A pleasure. Many thanks to you for such excellent software.

1 Like

All fine so far. Thx for the great software and support :slight_smile:

I am experiencing some audio drops out while watching live tv on DVB streams using MMAL using OMX i do not notice any drops out

Could be linked to quaity of the streams but it did not appear before the upgrade.

MMAL hasn’t been changed in this kernel update

Sam

Hi Sam yes MMAL has not changed but there must have been some changes to dvb support with the kernel upgrade.

Anyway its more a watch out because i believe my signal could be improved but as i live in a flat it’s not up to me.

Upgraded Pi 3 with ALLO Boss 1.2.
Using Airplay from iOS 9.3.5.
OK no problem.
Works as before.

It might be worth noting that if you are using the 8812au driver, it won’t work with connman when upgrading to 4.14. It does work with kernel 4.9.

Here is what connmand says:
connmand[345]: wlan0 runs an unsupported 802.11 driver

Here is the module info that works.
RTL871X: rtl8812au v4.3.20_16317.20160108

A workaround could be to kill connman and go to something like wicd, but if there is an easy fix that would be awesome. If not, at least it should be noted that this 802.11 driver will break and presumably others might as well, before pushing the kernel to stable.

Hi!

rbp1, latest Kodi 18

Everything turned painfully slow after 4.14.x kernel update from 4.9.x. Sometimes I cannot even ssh and rbp1 looks frozen. Sometimes I manage to make a complete boot up, but everything is so slow that it turns unusable. No evident log errors, just slowliness and sometimes strong freezing.

Any hints to rollback to 4.9.x kernel to check if the new kernel is the culprit or just a bad
install?

UPDATE: I managed the rollback to the previous kernel with:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure rbp1-image-4.9.29-17-osmc

and everything returned to normal, so I guess that rbp1 not loving this 4.14.15-4

Martin

A debug log from the Pi 1 experiencing this problem would be helpful. Can you reinstall the kernel and try and reproduce this?

Cheers

Sam

I test with ALLO DIGIONE on PI3 and it’s OK. It now works. I only added the following 2 lines in config.txt:
dtoverlay = allo-digione
dtparam = audio = off

thanks for support. HELLO

Confirmed - I also have troubles with 8812au driver under 4.14: the interface shows up as available, but scanning is not possible. No problem at all with kernel 4.9.

Antonio

For kernel 4.14 we have version 4.2 from 2013 and somehow for kernel 4.9 we have version 4.3. Doing some looking to find out where that might have happened and where the source is pulled from.
filename: /lib/modules/4.14.15-5-osmc/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8812au.ko
version: v4.2.2_7502.20130517
author: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
description: Realtek Wireless Lan Driver
license: GPL
srcversion: 660219EB7C7F3C4915178EF

filename: /lib/modules/4.9.29-15-osmc/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8812au.ko
version: v4.3.20_16317.20160108
author: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
description: Realtek Wireless Lan Driver
license: GPL
srcversion: CC81A6B9E25737F7D9857C6