[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

I’ll try using a different power supply. Thanks, Sam!

Hello,

I have the same issue with the last 4.9 kernel.
Some video are stuck at buffering phase. The behaviour seems like a corrupted video file, but I can garentee that there is no corruption. And my power supply seems fine.

1 Like

Then you must provide logs! Simply guessing the issue would be a waste of keystrokes.

1 Like

I don’t own a Vero at the moment, so no worries and thanks. Am I right in thinking that stick has a dual tuner, as in dual dvb-t2? Thought it might be easier having one stick over two OSMC sticks split with aerial going into my TV.

Is this for beneth or me? I already provided 2 logs. 1st one (post 428) was for the 4.9 kernel where the video doesn’t work, and 2nd log (post 434) on 3.14 kernel where the exact same video works.

Posting the logs again. Go to post 428 if you want media info and short clip of video.
4.9 kernel, video stuck at buffer - https://paste.osmc.tv/uzikarenod
3.14 kernel, video plays fine - https://paste.osmc.tv/qekebaruve

Hope it’s clear. Thanks.

Thanks, it’s clear. We know that there’s a problem and are currently investigating it …

1 Like

The following video turns black at 5 seconds (sound keeps working), whereas it worked fine on 3.14.

It was captured from my HDHomeRun from DVB-T. I have a Vero 4k +.

Then it probably wasn’t for you.

2 Likes

Thanks @tanio99

@Lagoon I had this problem last night. Did it twice while watching a recording of Gogglebox but had been fine the rest of the day.
Stopping and starting playback got rid of the black screen.
I will try and get some logs but it seems to be completely random when it happens.

I don’t have a log yet, but i’m curious if somebody else did experienced the same. I’ve not enabled other logging, as it appears only after a reboot, before kodi starts.

It happend 3 times already (can’t reproduce yet), but when i want to start a movie i’ve seen already, or wan to continue, kodi circle starts running and go back to the movie selection screen, without playing the movie. Then when i try a multiple times, it still doesn’t work and i finally reboot, then i see the first boot up screen, followed by a second screen were it seems to rebuild a partition, ———>>>>>>> it looked like vero-nand, but it’s too fast to read. This is not always the case, but it could be related to the running circle behavior, although i can’t proof it.

I can’t find it yet in a log.

After that kodi starts and all is working fine, the movie starts at once.

It happend yesterday as well.

Iperf3 etc is still okay, no other issues whatsoever.

What kind of logging would be possible, to let running, as i can’t reproduce it to say when you do this and that, then it happens.

Is there a check of the system which could be performed somehow?

19-4 https://paste.osmc.tv/evolixelak

20-4 https://paste.osmc.tv/ahodehogut

Just a grab-logs -A, not having logging enabled.

could it be that SuperBlock is being rewritten after a issue as mentioned?

Yes, one stick, two DVB-T2 tuners, so you can watch a channel from one multiplex and record program from different multiplex. Only one USB slot taken, only one antenna cable in.

1 Like

This video (4k) starts dropping frames as crazy starting at 10 seconds. Just seeking backward or forward solves the issue.

I watched the full movie (nearly 3 hours) and it happened exactly 3 times, each time just after the image turned black for one second (the black image is part of the movie, it’s a transition between scenes/chapters).

I’m not certain it didn’t happen in 3.14 though.

I’m using a MySQL database to keep my 3 vero devices in sync. Any advice on the best way to upgrade each device without messing up the database?

This isn’t a major Kodi upgrade, so the database structure remains the same.

Thanks for that. That does sound easier. I’ll keep a eye out for future release.

I’m going from 17.6 to 18.6. I thought there were a lot changes from Krypton to Leia?

Then yes, db will update. But are you sure you want 3 devices on a testing branch? There will be breakage along the way, this is the nature of development.

That was my worry. I can’t do just one. It will mess up the database. I guess I’ll wait a bit longer then. I don’t want to create a mess.