[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

Just doing one won’t really mess up the database. When you first run a Kodi 18 on that db it will make a copy of your Kodi 17 db and then upgrade that. Any machines that are still using 17 will continue exactly as they are. The issue becomes that you are then running two seperate db so they both will require their own library scans and watched status from one will not populate to the other. Unless there is some particular reason to be running the older version you could just install the current stable version on all three and just add testing to the one machine that you need 3D on.

True. Ok thanks for advice everyone.

Question. If I’m looking for the most stable way to run 3D right now, is there a fairly stable build that allows me to enable that now? Seeing a lot of issues left to iron out in 4.9, and while I really appreciate all the work you guys are doing I’m not sure I want to deal with playback issues etc.

So I finally found some time to install 4.9 on my Vero4k+. I can confirm that Hauppauge DualHD USB tuner is working for me out of the box.
It’s only a couple of minutes since I installed it, so I didn’t have much time to really test, but first impression from the build is great, congratulations and thanks for your great work.

1 Like

There is an older 3D test build designed to run on 3.14, but I’m not sure it’s actually more stable than installing 4.9 would be.

See 3D Frame Packed output

Gotcha. Thanks

Both 3D and the 4.9 kernel are not stable and still in testing - now both in one here. So, you won’t find a stable 3D release anywhere just yet.

1 Like

That’s great! Thanks for letting me know. I assume the Vero could handle recording two things at once and watching something?

Never tried yet, but as the hardest part is AFAIK decoding the HD DVBT2 stream, vero should be able to handle two recordings and watching something else simultaneously as long as you don’t do video transcoding of the recording on the vero, but record directly the datastream from the tuner. But it may also depend on many other factors, e.g. how CPU intensive is the movie you are watching, the destination for the recording etc.

1 Like

Hi Everyone,
I’m not able to communicate on USB-Serial interface. I assume it changed after the update:
if I connect any microcontroller with USB (Wemos, Arduino, NodeMCU, etc) it doesn’t appear listed under /dev/ttyUSBx or /dev/ttyACMx

Things I’ve tried: different USB cable (works elsewhere), update, reboot, different port, no USB hub

Journalctl says:

osmc kernel: usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 27
osmc kernel: usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 28 using xhci-hcd
osmc kernel: usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1a86, idProduct=7523
osmc kernel: usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
osmc kernel: usb 1-1: Product: USB2.0-Serial
osmc kernel: usb 1-1: Unsupported device

Can this happen because of the update?

I think, there are no drivers in current build for USB serial adapters like arduino, ftdi etc.

What CONFIG_ options are needed?

Oh, and I’m on Vero4k+
I’m using a Wemos D1 mini (ESP8266, but essentially is the same as an Arduino in USB Serial (UART) point of view)

But previously was working, it was possible to flash a lot of different boards via USB (and the serial adapter is on the board)

@sam_nazarko that I don’t know :thinking:

I have a problem with live Tv on the Vero 4k+.
During watching the TV turns black while the sound is still continuing. I can call up all menus, they show up as usual. I have to restart the stream to get the TV screen back. The black screen appears out of nowhere. Here is the log: https://paste.osmc.tv/adituyiluv.vhdl
The error appears at something like 21:05, 21:15, 21:38, 21:43.

movies, etc. are streaming without problems.

Was this a problem with 3.14?

Maybe you could get dmesg from 3.14 and 4.9 and I can find out the differences.

Sam

I uploaded my logs here
But as I’m on 4.9, not sure how could I revert to 3.14 without reinstalling.
However I’ve spotted something in APT term.log

Log started: 2020-04-05  20:44:01

Selecting previously unselected package vero364-image-4.9.113-10-osmc:arm64.
Preparing to unpack …/vero364-image-4.9.113-10-osmc_10_arm64.deb …
Examining /etc/kernel/preinst.d/
Done.
Unpacking vero364-image-4.9.113-10-osmc:arm64 (10) …
Preparing to unpack …/vero3-mediacenter-osmc_18.6.0-7_armhf.deb …
Unpacking vero3-mediacenter-osmc (18.6.0-7) over (18.6.0-6) …
Preparing to unpack …/vero364-kernel-osmc_3.9.165_arm64.deb …
Unpacking vero364-kernel-osmc:arm64 (3.9.165) over (3.9.164) …
Setting up vero364-image-4.9.113-10-osmc:arm64 (10) …
Running depmod.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 4.9.113-10-osmc /boot/vmlinuz-4.9.113-10-osmc
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal-osmc 4.9.113-10-osmc /boot/vmlinuz-4.9.113-10-osmc
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/inform-updater 4.9.113-10-osmc /boot/vmlinuz-4.9.113-10-osmc
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/upload-to-emmc 4.9.113-10-osmc /boot/vmlinuz-4.9.113-10-osmc
9+1 records in
9+1 records out
10258432 bytes (10 MB, 9.8 MiB) copied, 0.265803 s, 38.6 MB/s
/bin/dd: error writing ‘/dev/dtb’: Cannot allocate memory
0+1 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes copied, 0.00247999 s, 0.0 kB/s
Could not upload DTB to eMMC
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/upload-to-emmc exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/vero364-image-4.9.113-10-osmc.postinst line 381.
dpkg: error processing package vero364-image-4.9.113-10-osmc:arm64 (–configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60) …
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of vero364-kernel-osmc:arm64:
vero364-kernel-osmc:arm64 depends on vero364-image-4.9.113-10-osmc; however:
Package vero364-image-4.9.113-10-osmc:arm64 is not configured yet.

No, only since Kernel 4.9. I think lagoon has the same „problem“ (Post 406). It’s been since the past two updates.
With 3.14 the only bug was the picture stops for a second and played again without problems.

I have the same problem and it has only been since the 4.9 update.
It is very intermittent though and never happens when I’ve got debugging enabled

Yes, I have the same problem, and the video I posted reproduces the issue for me. Worked fine in 3.14.