[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

Not sure if this is still being investigated or you have it sussed but i noticed that if i have a file that sits on buffering at the start and won’t play, i can start in playing on mu rpi3b+, skip forward a few minutes then it will resume as soon as i try it on the vero. If i skip back to the start on the vero it goes back to a still and doesnt play.

Logs https://paste.osmc.tv/apicosavof

This problem is still present.

Another thing I noticed about this kernel is that with 1080p content my Audio Offset is ahead by 0.050s (which is normal with my setup) but with 4K content (playback is on a 1080p display) the Audio Offset needs to be more like 0.150s - 0.175s ahead for the lip sync to be right.

1 Like

I’m sure I know how to fix this, but waiting on Sam to agree :wink:

1 Like

Ahead seems strange - normally video takes longer to process than audio so audio needs delaying. Is your AVR perhaps over-compensating before sending video to your projector?

Did you know you can set these offsets separately for each refresh rate (but sadly not for each resolution) in advancedsettings.xml?

@tor.gunnar.berland I assume your like means you see the same thing?

No, I’m using my Vero 4K+ so much that I can not afford any issues with stability (so have not installed yet). But I liked it because finally someone points out the issues regarding lip sync. In current release version this is not a problem, so I’m happy MidnightWatcher is reporting these issues. If image processing takes 150-175ms more time; the audio should be delayed similar, this is extremely critical to get right.

1 Like

Is there a known issue with AAC audio?
I get an hickup every 10 seconds or so.

I got no issues with any passthrough audio btw

In the 3.14 kernel the audio offset was universal for 1080p and 4K, so the only variable that changed in the equation was the Vero 4K.

Is the Vero converting 4K HDR to 1080p SDR before sending to the AVR in both the old and new kernels? How can I check this?

Hello,
I have the same problem (reported by some users) of several h264 videos infinitely buffering at the beginning (if I manage to go ahead in the video, it usually plays). Here’s an example of a trailer:

http://paste.osmc.io/soxukeqaze.coffee

I can’t say if it’s specific to the 4.9 kernel, but I don’t remember having this infinite buffering on the 3.14.

I did report a couple times issues of AAC and MP3 audio not playing at all through my sound bar unless I changed the output to FIXED with 5.1 speaker setting. But it looks like that might be a particular issue with my soundbar (direct to TV worked fine). So I don’t know if it’s related to your issue, but I suspect the OSMC folks would appreciate debug logs to look at.

Yeah will make some tomorrow if it isn’t a known issue.

The process is nominally the same in both 3.14 and 4.9. Vero converts 4k to 1080p if the display can’t handle 4k and converts HDR to SDR if the display can’t handle BT2020.

It can do SDR/BT2020?

That’s a contradiction in terms. It can do HD (1080p) with BT2020. SDR implies BT709.

For instance, my HDR TV doesn’t do 4k60 on one HDMI input, so I get 1080p60 with BT2020 if I play a 4k60 video on it.

The latest Panasonic 4K players can do SDR/BT2020:

"Another major perk with Panasonic’s UB820 is its ability to convert HDR to SDR while still preserving UHD’s wide color gamut (BT.2020). Here’s why that’s important. Some projectors and older TVs support a wide color gamut, but not HDR, or do a very poor job with HDR processing…

… the option to send SDR signals with BT.2020 (or Rec.709) color is now available right in the setup menu, so there’s no need to use external devices. This lets you watch HDR programs tone mapped down to near-SDR levels (the default is 350 nits, which works well for projectors), so a viewer with a projector or older, non-HDR TV can still get many of HDR’s picture quality perks by simply calibrating the display to a 2.4 gamma and either Rec.709 or BT.2020 color (the player supports both)."

Oh yes, I remember I discovered that last month. I’ve no idea what that means in technical terms, but something like the Panasonic’s selectable curves is on the roadmap.

1 Like

My Nvidia Shield TV actually outputs SDR rec.2020 by default.

EDIT: This is obviously a dumb move on Nvidia’s part. But to be fair there are some projectors that can do something useful with that type of signal. They don’t go bright enough for the extra luminance range available in HDR to be useful, but they do have a wide enough colour gamut to be able to make use of the expanded range of colours available with rec.2020.

1 Like

I have problem playing all 4k HDR .MKV files after update to 4.9 kernel (see picture). In 3.14 kernel there was no problem, all videos played normal.
4K (not HDR) .MP4 won`t play to. Stuck on loading circle.
1080P and lower are playing O.K.

Logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/utulolesic

I’ve enjoyed this test mode very much! 3d and even regular blu-rays have improved quality. Just did another update today and all seemed good except for when I tried to watch the 3d of “The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey”. Not sure if this is an issue with the new update or if this was a problem from before too, as I hadn’t tried playing that movie previously.

For some reason, the 3d would default to left_right, and the screen would be split in two vertical halves with one all black and the other squished. so i switched to 3d mode top_bottom. that made the screen proper, but then the left eye became very dark so i was only watching out of the right eye. even after switching to top_bottom, the 3d mode still showed as left_right on the 3d setup screen. when i reversed the eyes of the glasses in my projector setup, that just made the right eye very dark.

So far all other 3d’s that i’ve tried play well. Any idea what’s going on here? I’ve posted the media info here:

https://paste.osmc.tv/teneseqasu.tex

Thanks!

1 Like

Had high hopes for this test but nothing but problems for me with 3D and 4K. I’m on kernal 4.9.113-16-osmc

3D the first two movies I tried properly switched the tv to 3D but then after it wouldn’t anymore. It does say its switching to stereoscopic mode hardware based though. Even the two movies that originally worked won’t anymore. Something wasn’t right with the 3D for me either. Things were blurry when they shouldn’t have been.

4K doesn’t work at all. Same screen as the person who posted right above me. Snow and pinkish

In between both movie tries the verok froze up for a few seconds as well. Went back to main menu and went to movies and it didn;t find them. Exited to menu and tried movies again and it worked.

I get weary of posting logs. I uploaded it and it ends in ozit

https://paste.osmc.tv/xxxxxxxozit