[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

Reporting a Deinterlacing Bug:

25i H264 broadcast TV channels here in Aust when streamed from my TvH server result in a black screen after a short while - with audio still playing in the background

Kodi Log:

dmesg:

Good morning, I got a message that says: “Updates have been downloaded, but Kodi will need to exit to install them. Would you like to exit and install the updates now?”
I have version 4.9 of the Kernel installed, do I have to give YES an update, or NO?
Thank you

Sorry for my English, I translate with google translate.

Why wouldn’t you update? If you are unsure how to assist in testing development software, I’m not sure running development software is the right path for you.

1 Like

ok, sorry

Can we get a sample of a problematic file?

Sam

Same here! I hadn’t got round to reporting it.

This looks like the same issue I reported last month. Here is a reproducer.

I can reproduce this when streaming over WiFi. It feels like if the connection drops the receiving vero can’t get a grip on the stream again.

I am not sure, where can i find it?

The connection is not dropping because I can still hear audio without interruption.

The TV screen just goes Black with no video output - it’s a v4.9 Kernel video deinterlacing issue it seems.

Does not matter what (interlaced) TV channel I view. All of them have the same problem.
No issues with TvH streams on numerous other Kodi devices.

Same problem here.
It is very intermittent on my system, it won’t do it for a few days then it will happen ten times in ten minutes.

I recently changed to this kernel but I also changed my set up at home with a new tv (LG Oled E9 ) and a new avr receiver (Denon AVR X-3600h). So i don’t really know what behaviour is normal or not but I noticed a couple of things.

The first thing I noticed is that when I start a video the sound starts almost immediately but the picture stays black. I then get a short signal loss (this message appears on the tv) and then the picture appears and plays fine. When I stop the Video, sound and picture stop immediately but the screen stays black for a second or two , again shortly loses signal and then returns to the OSMC gui. I do not know if this behaviour is normal when connected through the HDMI of the AVR or not but it’s pretty annoying.

Secondly, but i think this was mentioned before and being worked on, I ripped some old dvd series with Handbrake to mp4 and there not playing. the time starts running in the upper right corner but nothing happens.

Media info:
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42 (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size : 161 MiB
Duration : 24 min 36s
Overall bit rate mode : Variabel
Overall bit rate : 917 kb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2018-11-23 16:23:21
Tagged date : UTC 2018-11-23 16:23:21
Writing application : HandBrake 1.0.7 2017040900

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L4
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Ja
Format settings, Reference frames : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 750 kb/s
Width : 716 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29,970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressief
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.073
Stream size : 132 MiB (82%)
Writing library : x264 core 148 r2708 86b7198
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=300 / keyint_min=30 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=30 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=22.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=20000 / vbv_bufsize=25000 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.601 NTSC
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.601
Codec configuration box : avcC

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Bit rate mode : Variabel
Bit rate : 160 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 kanalen
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48,0 kHz
Frame rate : 46,875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 28,2 MiB (17%)
Title : Stereo / Stereo
Language : Engels
Default : Ja
Alternate group : 1

Thirdly I noticed today that when I watch a serie it no longer downloads the subtitles with the video. With Films it is no problem. First I thought this was a permission issue on my NAS but everything seems fine on that side. I changed the subtitles location to a different folder and there I noticed that when I downloaded a subtitle from a serie it downloaded but it gave the file a number like “2394.en.srt” . I tested as well with a movie and here the subtitle was renamed as it should be namely “the movie name.srt”

here are my logs:
https://paste.osmc.tv/ateviyezub

The black screen is your equipment switching its refresh rate and this is normal. If the playback starting before the display finishes switching is an issue for you then you can go to settings>system>display>delay after change of refresh rate> and set this to whatever time your equipment needs. On my system it is about 2.5 seconds.

Ok thanks! I will try that.

This works for “normal video” when I delay it for about 5 seconds but for HDR the delay is different on the LG so it still not perfect.

On my cheaper non-OLED LG and Denon AVR-X1400H the delay is the same 2.5 seconds regardless of HD vs 4K, or SDR vs HDR. You might want to check your AVR and TV to make sure there is some extra Video processing stuff turned on (as there tends to be by default).

As for your subtitle issue you would need to start a new thread as I don’t think that has anything to do with the 4.9 update. I’m not sure what is going on there but if your playing the file through something other than a direct file path (ie zeroconf, UPnP, etc) I think your looking at a limitation or bug in the Kodi subtitle add-on your using.

Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s not the file path because everything is NFS mounted with fstab. Besides only the Series are affected not the Movies. I also tried two different Addons, Opensubs and Podnapisi, and both result in the same problem.

That said, I do agree it probably has nothing to do with the 4.9 update because I checked my files and found out that I downloaded subtitles correctly up to last sunday 17th of may and I have been running this 4.9 update way before that. It just caught my attention today. So I just need to find out what changed after that. I know I played around with some skins and skin settings. It could be they changed a setting somehow. Maybe tomorrow I will do a fresh install and find out.

Are you using tvdb? There seems to be an issue that just cropped up that is messing with file names and it requires an update to the add-on to fix. You can read more about it on the Kodi forum.

Yes I’m using tvdb. I will check the forum. Thank you.

Not sure if already reported , but I am running last release in the 4.9 kernel and now time to time when playing a movie , I only get audio , no image, remains black.
If I stop and play again same video it works fine.