[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

Your logs are empty. Reboot twice and try again.

Sorry, i correct it.

https://paste.osmc.tv/ijikozahij

Thanks for reporting. This is very similar to the one @Lagoon reported. In both cases the video stream is corrupt and then the hardware decoder turns off video output. We’re investigating this issue.

It would be nice to have a wakeup function even if the device was shut down completely. For me it is not a good solution to climp behind the AV rack to pull out and reinsert the power plug after a power loss or after accidentally use of the shutdown command instead of suspend. In my personal case I want to use the device with my harmony ultimate with Bluetooth profile. So I would prefer Bluetooth wake up over IR wakeup. If there is a way to get both working it would be nice to see in one of the following releases.
For the moment I am looking for getting HDR UHD color and gammut mapping right. I recognized, that Kodi now has a pixel shader based setting under system/display with the possibility to costomize the effect with a slider. I got very nice results under windows and want to check if the vero4k+ is also capable of this with newest Kodi leia.
The result is not comparable with the work MadVR does on my dsplayer based windows system but does a good work in a more simple way.

I saw in another post, that someone already asked for a dynamic hdr function in another thread. Was very sad to read that you did not see the extreme potential of this. I would recommend that you dive in the work not only of the MadVR team. Take a look at the measurement tool and the algorithms Anna Landes and Florian Auté developed for contrast optimization of media centers with different screens and projectors. Eventually it could be very helpful for future releases to contact them and let them tell you a bit about what their software is able to do. Just a tip.

2 Likes

We are keeping an eye on MadVR. Whether we can achieve that sort of complexity with vero4k’s cpu power I wouldn’t like to say.

1 Like

Ok – it’s on the list.

3 Likes

If a Vero android device would not be able to do image processing of a complexity that can easily force an RTX2080 to its knees is not the question. But I can imagine, that it could be able to do some quality up and downscaling and a little bit of gamma optimization eventually with some predefined gamma curves or some custom settings to define target screen Nits or a slider that helps to customize the optimal within picture contrast ratio…

1 Like

Nobody’s saying we can’t do some tonecurves. What’s unlikely is we can make them dynamic.

As long as the result looks good this is a good way. What about premeasuring videofiles with another pc and making the Vero use the optional data files. Wouldn’t this be a compromiss?

Too late, I just want to know how I can access the file / etc / apt / sources.list to update, because now I can´t play 3D MVC movies.

Hi ActionA,
i need to load this module to make UART communication works

sudo rmmod ftdi_sio
rmmod: ERROR: Module ftdi_sio is not currently loaded

[    3.759400] usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=6001
[    3.759408] usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[    3.759412] usb 1-1.4: Product: FT232R USB UART
[    3.759416] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: FTDI
[    3.759419] usb 1-1.4: SerialNumber: A9AXQ02M
[    3.762955] usb 1-1.4: Unsupported device

Thanks much

That’s understandable. I’d love be to be able to adjust tone curves on a per title basis (specifically 4K HDR titles being converted to SDR) so that it always plays that specific video using the tone curve that was set for it.

Just so I’m not missing anything, are you refering to the ‘Tone mapping’ setting which I think has been there at least since 18.0? Or is there something new in Matrix?

Because I used a special MadVR and dsplayer based Kodi build (I think 17.4?!) , I did not have this tone mapping feature. Today I installed a 18.6 version for my Bigscreen Virtual Reality streaming cinema and found tone mapping.
In the Vero 4k+ the tone mapping is missing. So I have to wait for upcoming solutions.

Hey Sam, I happen to have both the devel, and the 4.9 kernal repos turned on for one my veros.

deb http://apt.osmc.tv/ stretch-devel main
deb http://apt.osmc.tv/ videoimprovevero main

So, I’ve ended up with 4.9 kernel as well as Kodi 18.7.

Am I risking major breakage with both of these repos turned on at the same time? (have not seen any problems after the 18.7 update, but if its a risk that the devel branch kodi upates may conflict with the 4.9 changes, I’ll want to disable it)

Shouldn’t be a problem - 18.7 is the future for both repos.

No breakage - but you will lose 3D for now with 18.7

Yesterday I tried to play some test files. To mount my NAS folders I use NFS over the GUI. Playing the jellyfish 400 mkv I found the file stuttering in the first part. I read, that this could be fixed with using autofs instead of the GUI. Because none of my normal contend stutters including 60HZ 4k files, I decided not to install autofs for the moment. I transfered the file to Veros internal ssd folder and played again. I was wondering to see it stutter a little, too . Is that normal? I would be surprised if a file can play fluid through my gigabit lan with autofs and not from internal storage?!

I’ve found that the 400, and even the 300Mb/s jellyfish video stutters when played from internal flash memory. The 250Mb/s one is fine. This isn’t something you need to worry about, though - 250Mb/s is roughly double the maximum permitted bit-rate of a UHD blu ray disc, so you’ll never encounter bit-rates like that in anything except a benchmark test.