[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

https://paste.osmc.tv/qizemexura

^^ log from soft boot, missing tv adapters

Logs available at https://paste.osmc.tv/cekipubiwi

^^ log from hard boot, adapters back

I can also confirm watching tv, some times gives :frowning: or watching a recording some times at first play other times in skip 10secs 3 mins etc you get :frowning:

I’ve also just experienced a crash-to-login-screen, with Kodi reappearing after a while (/usr/bin/mediacenter: line 210: 4093 Segmentation fault): https://paste.osmc.tv/hukuqegane

I would not particularly worry about the crashes at the moment - Kodi v18.7 seems to have introduced some instability in that regard

Sam

I can’t see why it’s not working. Your sticks are loaded up by the OS but the OS finds only one tuner on the i2c interface. I wonder if the sticks need some extra shutting down step on re-boot to reset them. I’m guessing they stay powered by your USB hub. When you cold-boot are you also power-cycling the hub?

@sam_nazarko may have some answers.

Yeah there on a belkin powered usb hub

I know Sam previously said it wouldnt be fixed in 3.14 but 4.9 will have a fix.

yeah the OSMC is other end of house, so i turn the power off to extention remotly that has the OSMC and usb hub plug into it

Dont knwo why it finds the realteks and just the sonys dont get re detected though

OK, seeing several issues now. HDR seems to be laggy up until the point that I skip forward, sometimes the same movie is showing a black screen until I reboot, sad face on resume.

Rolling back now. Will revisit later, sorry.

Unfortunately it’s unlikely that we will be able to solve this without some debug logs, so it would be good if you could upload these.

Should be resolved in 4.9.
Can you try just one stick without a hub and see if it causes the issue?

Sam

Please see PM. After rollback all the issues are gone immediately, btw.

hi sam,

ill try at weekend, but i thought you had tested it from original thread i created

I have tested indeed. I am only using a single tuner with a powered USB hub however. Perhaps there’s a specific interaction with two. Will check.

Actually he has three.

I’ve been on this testing version for a couple of weeks now, trying to get Kodi to better manage HDR content on my non HDR TV.

I’ve noticed that when watching 4K videos, my tv in getting “black” for a second, just like when Kodi and the TV change the refresh rate between menus and different videos.

Does this happen to someone else as well?

/Söder

Are your files a blue ray video (BDMW container )?
Something similar like described here?:

It can be. I’m gonna try with the whitelisting option and also in debug mode, but I can’t find how I turn that option off?

I watch .mkv’s in x264 or hevc, and lately I didn’t noticed this problem. It was first when I started a new season of Peaky Blinders, in 4k rather then 1080p, in 25p I noticed this. 1080@25fps was no problem. Also when I watched a movie in some kind of 23.x in 4k there was no problem.

But also when I set the system to 4k@60Hz I see the screen “getting Black” for a second like it trying do find a suitable mode or something.

Right now when I paused I got a screen with some “errors” I’ve noticed right before the screen goes black/flicker.

/Söder

Yep, same for me, but with the stable kernel.

How to turn whitelisting off? You just unselect anything selected in the list and that will disable the whitelist. There is no on/off toggle. If you have one or more resolutions selected then it switches over to using the whitelist.

As to your black screen issue it sounds like you need a better hdmi cable/s or if your going through an audio device you need to look at that. When you play 25p content it will normally be output at double frame rate. If your issue is only showing up when your sending out 4k 50p and 60p then this strongly suggests a bandwidth issue.

1 Like

This may be a dumb question but I am running the 4.9 kernel on my test Vero 4K+, I finally got around to looking at the Kodi logs and see this on startup:

2020-06-23 13:58:01.962 T:4064583680 NOTICE: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
2020-06-23 13:58:01.962 T:4064583680 NOTICE: Starting Kodi (18.7). Platform: Linux ARM (Thumb) 32-bit
2020-06-23 13:58:01.962 T:4064583680 NOTICE: Using Release Kodi x32 build (version for Vero)
2020-06-23 13:58:01.962 T:4064583680 NOTICE: Kodi compiled 2020-06-10 by GCC 6.3.0 for Linux ARM (Thumb) 32-bit version 4.9.110 (264558)
2020-06-23 13:58:01.962 T:4064583680 NOTICE: Running on Open Source Media Center 2020.06-1, kernel: Linux ARM 32-bit version 4.9.113-20-osmc
2020-06-23 13:58:01.962 T:4064583680 NOTICE: FFmpeg version/source: 4.0.4-Kodi

My dumb question is why is it a 32 bit kernel vs. a 64 bit ? Sam mentioned in this thread that the Vero 4K could run 64 bit. I am running 64 bit Kodi on on other platforms and I do realize that makes some binary addos incompatible if they haven’t been compiled for 64 bit. The Kodi team is trying to move everything to 64 bit. I think I made an assumption that 4.9 would be 64 bit so I thought I’d inquire.

The kernel is Aarch64 (64-bit)
Userland stays armhf (32-bit)

Kodi isn’t ‘moving’ anything to 64-bit.
This hasn’t changed in this test build and binary add-ons should work fine.

Thanks Sam. Are there any plans to offer a 64 bit version of kodi with OSMC on the Vero 4K platform ? I overstated the Kodi move to 64 bit but there has been a slow move across platforms with Kodi 64 bit compiles being available. Windows 64 bit binaries became available with Kodi 18.