[TESTING] Vero 4K / 4K + video improvements

Thanks for that. Did you get a log for kernel 133 trying to play Blue Planet?

And I wonder what happens if you spoof the LGs EDID with the Vertex. I’m not sure of the details of the custom EDIDs, but maybe #11?

I’m going to try spoofing my Panasonic with your EDID here.

I’ll update back to leia and get a log.

Ah! So you are testing 133 with Leia and 126 with Krypton?

The new log from Leia 133.

http://paste.osmc.tv/oxotucoyey

its working for both Billy Lyn and Plannet Eartth.

Just need to work out which setting is breaking the Vero

If I’ve installed this, how easy is it to revert everything back to a pre-installation state (so I can make comparisons) ?

I wiped every thing by downloading the Stable (Krypton) image and installing from SD card

Then followed by instuctions below to get to Leia. Shouldn’t take more than 20 mins. assuming you Don’t have may addons.

In that log, I note neither vid is being played with passthrough audio. BTW:

There shouldn’t be any. The difference between them video-wise is only with limited/full range handling for SDR material.

I was hoping to get back to the default Krypton state without having to do that. :slight_smile: I’ve had to do that rather a lot lately, and it takes too long getting all the settings back the way I like them!

@grahamh , It appears that good old whitelisting is the issue.

When I clear all the entries in the white list, I can play the Planet Earth Video.
Secondly, there are now what seem to be duplicates in the whitelist.

Logs with white list below:
http://paste.osmc.tv/umefixarog

I didn’t want to change to many settings at once and also didn’t want to restore my settings from a backup as that would defeat the whole point of wiping the system clean to start afresh.

But at the GUI resolution, presumably.

Ok, thanks. I know what that is.

Vertex%20Vero4k%20(Leia)%20Planet%20Earth%20-%20no%20whitelist

Clearing the whitelist enables Vero to play back HDR files at 10bit 444 23.973 on the LG B7 OLED. I’ve double checked.

Looking at the logs

umefixarog : White list detecting wrong resolution

22:16:33.470 T:4071699040 DEBUG: Trying to find exact refresh rate
22:16:33.470 T:4071699040 DEBUG: Matched exact whitelisted Resolution 4096x2160 @ 23.98 - Full Screen (39)
22:16:33.470 T:4071699040 NOTICE: Display resolution ADJUST : 4096x2160 @ 23.98 - Full Screen (39) (weight: 1080.000)

vs. oxotucoyey : No White list - works

21:09:09.900 T:4070335072 DEBUG: Trying to find exact refresh rate
21:09:09.902 T:4070335072 DEBUG: Matched exact whitelisted Resolution 3840x2160 @ 23.98 - Full Screen (37)
21:09:09.902 T:4070335072 NOTICE: Display resolution ADJUST : 3840x2160 @ 23.98 - Full Screen (37) (weight: -0.000)

The only reason I have the whitelist is to to stop kodi from briefly switching to 25Hz before going to 50Hz every time I change TV channel (with 1080i). Thats another story.

Unless you have a specific use case, I would argue that it is better to clear the white list.

1 Like

OK, good. That’s a recent change in Leia - to make it behave like Krypton in the absence of a whitelist. Before, it wouldn’t select any resolution that wasn’t on the whitelist. But why it should mistake 4096 for 3840 someone needs to look into. Good spot.

2 posts were split to a new topic: DVB framerate detection wrong on Leia

If 4096 resolutios are not selected from the whitelist, all files a played ok.
That is the solution for now.
Can those with 2018 LG TVs give some feedback.

@mosmos what do you need from us?

Just to be sure it’s not lost (I added it as edit into my post somewhere above):

Looks like I see terrible lagging (or flickering or what is it) when playing Life Untouched HDR UHD 4K Demo | 4K Media - first 5 seconds camera goes up with tree on the right. The tree itself is flickering a lot (or banding or how the effect is called?) . Both 422 enabled/disabled in attr. I don’t think it was there before. With 422 disabled it plays on 3rd or 4th attempt while with 422 enabled it always plays.

It looks like the move is not fluent and for some reason those branches on tree are “jumping” up and down - like frames are rendered in wrong order.

Other videos are fine (I just tried few another HDR demos)

Just tried it here and I get that jiggering effect. Not massively but noticeable. It’s the same played from Vero as it is played from a USB plugged into the TV.

OK, maybe I did not notice it as I was using these “smart” smooth functions before and I turned all off now. THX Grahamh for testing all of these. You are the best guys.

If you’ve got a 2018 LG OLED TV, can you can deselect the 4096 resoultions from the whitelist and play the troublesome 4KHDR videos.
If you can confirm they can be played ok, I’m sure @sam_nazarko and @grahamh will appreciate the feedback.

Where can I find the whitelist?