[TESTING] Vero V: IPT colour space conversion

Overall picture levels closer to native DV on my LG OLED C3 when playing DV Profile 5 stuff.

Certainly much improved compared to the previous version.

1 Like

Itā€™s a rip. I could do but it would have to be recorded with my phone so not sure how useful to you. If I can find a hdr10 of same sequence, Iā€™ll upload both as a comparison

Youā€™re right, phone footage wonā€™t tell us much. Are you able to clip, say, 30 seconds off that rip so we can play it through OSMC and a TV for ourselves?

Unfortunately, my ancient laptop isnā€™t up to the job of video editing. Can I pm you the release details of the item?

If you have ffmpeg (or if using Windows can download the Windows binary from the site and copy ffmpeg.exe into the same folder as your videos) installed then something like :

ffmpeg -i "inputfile.ext" -c copy -t 00:01:00 "outputfile.ext"

will clip the first minute of inputfile and output it as outputfile keeping the original audio and video codecs.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve PMed you. Just for info, Iā€™ve tested this with the clips reachable from the list on Kodiā€™s site, including the ones Dolby publish. Comparisons with the same titles as HDR10 or DV profile 8 are pretty good here. But thatā€™s a limited sample set.

Actually, a video editor is not the best way to do it as it will likely mess with the metadata. Steveā€™s ffmpeg command will do it better. Can be run on Windoze or on your Vero after sudo apt-get install ffmpeg.

Throws an error:

osmc@osmc:/media/MyPassport/HD4/The Kitchen (2023)$ ffmpeg -i "inputfile.ext" -c copy -t 00:01:00 "outputfile.ext"
ffmpeg version 4.3.6-0+deb11u1 Copyright (c) 2000-2023 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 10 (Debian 10.2.1-6)
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --extra-version=0+deb11u1 --toolchain=hardened --libdir=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf --incdir=/usr/include/arm-linux-gnueabihf --arch=arm --enable-gpl --disable-stripping --enable-avresample --disable-filter=resample --enable-gnutls --enable-ladspa --enable-libaom --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libcdio --enable-libcodec2 --enable-libdav1d --enable-libflite --enable-libfontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libjack --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libmysofa --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopenmpt --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-librabbitmq --enable-librsvg --enable-librubberband --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libsrt --enable-libssh --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx265 --enable-libxml2 --enable-libxvid --enable-libzmq --enable-libzvbi --enable-lv2 --enable-omx --enable-openal --enable-opencl --enable-opengl --enable-sdl2 --enable-pocketsphinx --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libdrm --enable-libiec61883 --enable-chromaprint --enable-frei0r --enable-libx264 --enable-shared
  libavutil      56. 51.100 / 56. 51.100
  libavcodec     58. 91.100 / 58. 91.100
  libavformat    58. 45.100 / 58. 45.100
  libavdevice    58. 10.100 / 58. 10.100
  libavfilter     7. 85.100 /  7. 85.100
  libavresample   4.  0.  0 /  4.  0.  0
  libswscale      5.  7.100 /  5.  7.100
  libswresample   3.  7.100 /  3.  7.100
  libpostproc    55.  7.100 / 55.  7.100
inputfile.ext: No such file or directory

You need to substitute the actual file name (ends in .mkv?) for inputfile.ext .

1 Like

For me the Netflix splashscreen DV5 looks the same as watching direct from Netfix in DV

1 Like

inputfile.ext and outputfile.ext are just placeholders - you need to replace them with the filename of your source video and the filename you want the clipped version to be.

So whatever the main video filename is in your folder called ā€˜The Kitchen (2023)ā€™ is would replace inputfile.ext in my example, and then you need to think of a new filename for the output file - like ā€˜TestClip.mkvā€™ or add ā€˜.clip.mkvā€™ to the original filename to create a new one.

1 Like

Does your TV have same calibration for the 2 settings?

Yes, both go through Denon Amp into the TV so they have the same settings TV side

Thanks, Steve. Weā€™ve sorted this out in DMs. Itā€™s a rather strange clip. Mediainfo doesnā€™t think itā€™s DV and Windows MediaPlayer doesnā€™t play it (I have the Windows DV extension). But it plays nicely on Vero V. The Netflix logo looks right on my Panasonic.

Others could test it from here

I have updated the instructions as this is now supported in the staging repository.

Thanks to those that have tested and provided sufficient feedback to bring it to a level where we can ready it for the next update

Cheers

Sam

3 Likes

Iā€™ve not been following this closely unfortunately, Iā€™ve updated but went to play a dv file and got green and purple. Do I need to enable it somewhere?

Iā€™d suggest posting some logs so we can check that you updated your system correctly.

Did you enable the staging repository as advised in the instructions?

Yeah I did that, will look into some logs tomorrow hopefully, getting a bit late for my fried brain. Great work on making this possible, the video in question was Halo ep4 if anyone else wants to testā€¦

The file wonā€™t matter ā€“ the logs should let us know whether your system is updated properly.

Many thanks

Sam

Whatā€™s the bottleneck that prevents this from working on Vero 4K+?

The HDMI registers are different. In theory it should be possible to tonemap to SDR, but doing anything further would be an uphill battle.