[Testing] X11(simple desktop) + Chromium(web browser) in a simple installer for Stretch

Thank you for your works!
The installer runs fine now. The kodi add-on still complained about not being compatible and the install date was still in the past. So I deinstalled it and run the installer again, made a reboot of the machine … but now it is gone… :smiley: :smiley:
So, just to be clear: the X11 launcher add-on is gone now.

in 18.x installer shouldn’t have compatible issue, unless i wrote wrong python version

The install date of the kodi add-on was still beginning of May, so I assume, the installer didn’t replaced the existing add-on. Therefore, I uninstalled the add-on manually. But it wasn’t reinstalled by the installer!? :upside_down_face:

try this:

nano ~/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.x11-launcher/addon.xml

change to this:

there was a typ0 in version number 2.1.0 to 2.2.0 should make it 18.x compatible, restart and hope fully the addon is there, but i know since before that if the “not compatible” been added to addons db, there might be problems. Sorry

Will change and update github with the new zip

This directory is not here, I’m afraid:

~/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.x11-launcher

Hopefully the last update on the 414th post in this thread will work now.

So what I’ve done:

rm install_x11.*
wget https://github.com/zjoasan/x11-osmc/raw/Leia/install_x11.sh
[..]
sh ./install_x11.sh
[..]
osmc@vero7even:~$ ll .kodi/addons | grep plugin
drwxr-xr-x 3 osmc osmc 4096 Feb 10 21:51 plugin.program.remote.control.browser
drwxr-xr-x 4 osmc osmc 4096 Apr  6 22:37 plugin.video.netflix
osmc@vero7even:~$ 

I am not sure what is wrong… :upside_down_face:

@nsk7even As I told @MichaelP in PM, this “editing multiple files” back to v.18.9 has been hard without testing it locally before uploading it to github. I hope to get my second pi3 tomorrow afternoon, and hopefully have a working and locally tested version for all of the 18.9 users, by this time tomorrow.

Would it help to provide access to my box to you?

Thank you for offering, but remotely I can’t check a screen for visual problems, like is X starting properly, is the chromium icon in start menu etc. etc. And of course, now that my service point has closed, my postal app still informs me that my package is at the last sorting center before deliverance to my service point, so it’s should be here at 2pm tomorrow. So no box tonight :frowning:

Got some feedback via pm, that might let me resolve the installation bit. But still feels weird to publish untested scripts and tampered zip files. Still seems to be an issue with chromium.

ok, no problem - feel free to request access to my box, if you think it may help.
I used your updated version like you told me via PM and now the plugin directory was created, yeyy!
Currently I have no access to the display, will check this tomorrow in the UI…

//Edit: it worked

Finally had some alone time in front of the TV(since my 19 year old broke my HDMI->DVI adaptor cable, i needed the family tv), “secondary pi3” reimaged, as 18.9. Will run the script tomorrow, almost 2 am here now. Will start playing with the script in coming days, hopefully getting a bit closer to plan/Dreamed v.2 of this addon/software installation mashup.

Hints/Dreams for V.2:

• Appswitching(kodi/desktop)
  • Small Wayland based desktop
  • A “user provided” list of default apps to be installed
  • Accelerated Chromium

Fixing chromium issue on Buster, both 18 an 19 version in the next few minutes.

For those that allready installed and dont have a working chromium, run this in prompt:

sudo apt-get install chromium-sandbox

Hi Joakim, you are amazing! It works like charm! Do you have some technical background? Just a few words?

Now I’ve just to fix two minor issues.

1.) Disabling your remote control query (would be easy I guess)
2.) Configuring ‘Uni Remote’ correctly. Basically it works - but the left click/double click is odd. I have to ‘drag’ the clickable item first followed by a second short click and what is even more annoying… out of the box the remote sends only alphanumerical characters - no special characters like ,.-;:_!"§$%&/()=? . I guess I’m using a wrong code standard.

By the way did you buy the Pro Version of Unified RC- is it worth to do so?

Best regards from Hamburg
Michael

I did go pro directly, not that I needed it. I liked the software and thought it worth my money. I’m not using it as much as I thought I would, but I have installed a Unified RC server on my pc server to. There is a lot of “not needed stuff”, but it’s fun to show off for friends sometimes.

Short background(life story in a few sentenses):
Since 10 years of age (back in 1983) I’ve always had a computer at home and a burning desire to learn more. Studied to be a childcare worker, during military service I got involved in educating the officers civil employed secretaries in word 2.0. Fell in love with the feeling when I saw the “lightbulb light up above their head”. We had an instructional video for them to watch with labs for them to do, well some of them didn’t even dare to touch the keyboard, since they could destroy these expansive computers. I handled them like I was thought to handle kids that were exited, afraid and eager to try new stuff. Reassured them “Anything you can do, I can reverse, no harm would fall on you”. The officer that was in charge of the education program, thought I had an future in education, so I pursued it for a number of years. teaching adults basic dos/basic/html/“build your own pc” to MS certification courses to teaching 17 year old’s how to manage a MS 2003 server. Got a diagnose and medication that changed my life, short story I’ve got a lot of “free time on my hands”, so I got involved into OSMC to get back to my Linux roots and hopefully provide some people enjoyment, by taking boring tasks as installing a desktop or Netflix and automate it as much as possible.

Ops, got to be more then a few lines, but that’s it in a nut shell =)

Edit: Got so exited to tell my story, so I forgot about your questions:

1. nano ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart, remove line 4 and save
  2. Haven’t look into that, will try later.

Sent you a PM

Thanks for 1. - saves me some minutes :slight_smile:
For 2. I’ve also connected Unified RC to my Win10 PC - There it works like expected with double click and special characters! So I’ve to dig into my OSMC.

Thanks a lot and have a good evening
Michael

Hi folks,
thanks for providing this install script and addon! Just started to switch from LibreELEC to OSMC on my RPi 4. Having a web browser is the one thing I always missed with all the Kodi incarnations - glad that this now is possible!
On my TV, the LXDE desktop and Chromium were difficult to use and read from my typical watching distance (My screen is not really huge). So I tried around a bit and can here give a tipp how to scale everything to more useful sizes for such szenarios without fiddeling too much around in individual settings.
Step 1: Change DPI. For me, this worked:
Open ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf and in the [GTK] section add the line

iXft/DPI=200000

The number seems strange - but if you read around, it is the product of dpi and the horizontal number of pixels. If you want the details, read this. So with Full HD my number is ~100 dpi. The larger the dpi, the more everything is scaled up, the larger everything gets, i.e. better for larger viewing distances. Chromium respects this setting and scales everything up. Also, the LXDE dialogs get larger. The only thing that remains small is the taskbar at the bottom. So, follows
Step 2: Change taskbar settings
Right-click somewhere on the taskbar and choose “Panel Settings”. Here I changed the following things:

• Tab “Geometry”
    • Width: 100%
    • Height: 64 pixels
    • Icon Size: 64 pixels
  • Tab “Appearance”
    • Background: System Theme (the image does not scale well)

Also, I added a Chromium start icon to the desktop, is easier to navigate to.

And that’s it basically! Hope it helps others as well.

Here’s a question of mine on Chromium: It seems that there exist versions of Chromium that use the hardware acceleration of RPi 4 for videos. I followed this tutorial to enable hardware acceleration, but when I then watch a video and use the dev tools to check, it shows that the video is handled by FFmpeg and is rendered in software, leading to a less than enjoyable result. So my guess is that I need the rpi-chromium-mod package from the Raspberry OS distribution, but I’ve no idea how to include this without breaking my system - just not enough of a Linux guy for this… anyone succeeded here?
Thanks for any hint!

If it’s not too much to ask, would you mind do a PR or issue at GitHub, would like to implement this by default, or at least do some presets to chose from during installation, or the coming settings page for the addon. I was hoping to do a user choice of resolution. But DPI scaling sounds like a easier solution.

When it comes to accelerated chromium, I have to revisit, but I don’t have hardware for rpi4.

Sound Setting for Screen recording

Anyone here knows how to record screen with sound using a raspberry pi 4 and HDMI output to TV? I used SimpleScreenRecorder but it does not record sound. I am wondering the relationship of hdmi output and sound driver. It looks like osmc does not have any audio input mechanism so it does not support screen recording.

From Simple Screen Recorder
Using pulse

Pulseaudioconnect: could not connect: reason connection refused, it is possible your system doesn't use pulseaudio,

Using ALSA

ALSA: can't open pcm device
Error something went wrong during initialization

Using aplay -l

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: vc4hdmi0 [vc4-hdmi-0], device 0: MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: vc4hdmi1 [vc4-hdmi-1], device 0: MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

According to the programmer of SimpleScreenRecorder

IIRC the raspberry pi does not have an audio input, so I'm not sure what you were trying to record in the first place.

When you connect it to a TV, the default audio interface changes to HDMI, which may have different behavior.

Thank you