Things have gotten really messed up

I’m not even sure where to start on this :frowning:

A couple of moths ago (maybe a bit further back) my OSMC/RPI/HDD sys started acting up. It would do unscheduled, unexpected restarts. I lost use of the MyOSMC app (something abt settings service no longer available). I did try a reinstall of media-center, but nothing changed. So, I decided, once again to flatten and start from scratch :frowning: I expected it to be straightforward, but it has been anything but…

I can get OSMC installed on the uSD card and it seems to work fine from there. Then I try to xfer teh system to the HDD (using instructions found here: Configuring the drive | Using an external drive. However, when I do a sudo reboot things really go haywire. I get a series of msgs of the sort ("…" is a placeholder for the left 5+ chars that seem to be off the screen…):

....ink: applet not found
....ng user specified rootdelay of 5 seconds
....ng root file system device
....e2fsck: No such file or directory while trying to open
....bly non-existent device
....us file system corruption found. We will do our best to repair this now.

....k 1.43.7 (16-Oct-2017)
(repeats lines 4 & 5 from above)
NG: OSMC cannot repair the filesystem and serious corruption may exist...... (ya think?  :(

then finishes with...

....:mounting on /real_root failed: Invalid argument
ERROR: OSMC cannot mount  of ext4 filesystem (maybe this is key because I created an ext4 partition on the HDD I was trying to install)
OSMC initramfs Rescue Console.
For help and support...yada...yada...yada...which is why I'm back here...

I have a 2nd RPI3, 2nd HDD, uSD that I have tried. I even swapped out the USB-SATA interface I thought might be the issue. And each time ended up with the same results as above. P/S is a 5A unit and working fine.

Needless to say, this has gotten to be “above my pay grade”. Any insight, suggestions, etc. greatly appreciated. Thx.

Cheers…

Use the official OSMC method instead

Interesting. Did not realize that existed. The 1st time I set up an HDD and the past few times I had to flatten and rebuild, I went with the instructions in the link in my previous posting. I wonder if more recent versions of OSMC no longer work with that process. I figured it must be s/w since I essentially eliminated all the h/w as source issue.

So, in the OSMC install options page I see 4 “run” options:

o from an SD card
o from a USB stick
o from an NFS share
o from internal storage (this one is disabled so cannot be selected, tho, seems the HDD connected to USB might be considered internal storage)

I would guess “from a USB stick” also means USB HDD, and would be the right option. True?

I suppose I saw the “install options” and didn’t quite sort out the “where would you like to run OSMC from?” part of it. Also, the date at the bottom shows 2015. Is that the most recent?

Thx for the help and fast response…cheers…

Yes – you will still need an SD card for booting though.

You can choose the version of OSMC you want to run in the first dialogue

Understood abt still needing the uSD card. Never thought otherwise.

Actually, I was referring to the date of the install s/w, not the OSMC OS.

That’s just a copyright header, not the version

So, then can I assume that the downloader/installer I get from the website is most likely the most recent.

Just wanted to say extend a “BIG” thanks for the help. Getting OSMC onto the HDD was buttery smooth. Don’t know why I hadn’t seen that before (maybe because I hadn’t had to flatten/rebuild in quite some time) and may explain why my system seemed to go a bit haywire.

Thought I was going to have another question regarding accessing Samba shares. However, after shutting down the Win 10 sys last night and rebooting this morning, everything abt Samba seems to be working fine (also have a Fedora 32 sys that can get to the OSMC without any problems). There seems to be some minor things regarding having both an ipaddr and hostname show up identifying the same shares connection to the OSMC sys, but I’ll have to play with it for a while and see if it settles out OK.

Again, appreciate the support. Great to have my OSMC sys back up and running (had seriously considered going to LibreElec, but glad I decided to stay with OSMC :slight_smile: Now it’s on to getting tvheadend back into shape…

Cheers…