TL-WN823N wifi adaptor not detected please help!

Hi all

I’m fairly new to OSMC. I was using Raspbmc previously and purchased this wifi adapter so that I could use yatse with wifi rather than plugging an ethernet into my pi each time (I use the ethernet for other things too).

I have a raspberry pi b+ model and believe that I have the correct power adapter (purchased from pihut).

However when going into network settings I can only see options for Wired and MySQL but not wireless. I’ve switched on max usb option and installed the latest updates to OSMC.

How do I firstly get the “Wireless” option to appear and then successfully set this up!? I’ve read that this device is compatible maybe I’m doing something wrong.

Edit:

Did some digging around on this forum. Got this info from dmesg hopefully it will help

[ 3.238384] usb 1-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
[ 3.339437] usb 1-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=2357, idProduct=0109
[ 3.339468] usb 1-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 3.339483] usb 1-1.5: Product: 802.11n NIC
[ 3.339495] usb 1-1.5: Manufacturer: Realtek
[ 3.339508] usb 1-1.5: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001

It would be great to get this working! Hope someone can help me please !

Edit2: I think the driver for this is rtl8192EU. The device itself is the EU v2 of the tp link.

Seems like no-one wants to help? :frowning: patiently waiting now. Not much else I can provide at this stage.

Well a google search makes that quite likely. So you might want to check this thread for ideas

Thanks for replying! This problem is pretty frustrating especially since others seem to have no problems with this device.

Reading that thread it seems that Sam has already included this driver into osmc. Perhaps my id just needs attaching to the driver.

@sam_nazarko could you help me please !? Thanks!!

If to have Ethernet available at the pi location, why would you ever want to use WiFi? WiFi is always the weakest link. I’d return the WiFi adaptor and buy a cheap unmanaged Ethernet switch for that location. Them you don’t have to swap plugging the cable in all the time.

Alternatively, try another power supply. OSMC is more demanding than Raspbmc ever was.

Haha that would be the easy way out (to keep spending money too)

I don’t think I can return it. Also I don’t have any spare plug sockets for a switch.

I’m sure half a solution for this issue is already in place hopefully Sam reads this post whenever he has a free moment!

you and your money …

1 Like

A small 5 port ethernet switch is used to create spare sockets. They can be had for around $10.

If you want to continue to pursue WiFi, providing complete kernel logs and dmesg would likely be more useful.
grab-logs -A

I meant spare power sockets.

Here you go: http://paste.osmc.io/fafojukame

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

If the Wireless section isn’t showing, it means that OSMC doesn’t have the driver for your WiFi dongle or it doesn’t identify the device as compatible with existing WiFi modules.

RTL8192EU is a very rare WiFi chipset and only appears to be in a few dongles. There is no driver for it in OSMC currently.

You could look at this source: GitHub - jpostma/rtl8192eu: Driver for the Realtek8192eu chipset. It would need a couple of fixes to build it against 4.4, but these can be found for other Realtek drivers.

The driver seems a bit neglected, but I will see if we can add support for this dongle in the future. Unfortunately this is one of the few WiFi chipsets I don’t have, which makes it hard to test.

Thanks Sam. I thought you had added support for it already according to this: Tutorial: Compiling a working kernel driver for rtl8192eu - #19 by sam_nazarko

Perhaps I was mistaken. I’m not sure how to install drivers I’m not very good at Linux commands etc but will give it a go.

So I did…

It’s been a long time since I looked at that driver and I hadn’t heard of it for a while, so I had forgotten about it. In this case, it could be that the dongle is not recognised.

If you run sudo apt-get install usb-utils and lsusb with it plugged in, I can check.

Sam

Doesn’t seem to work:

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get install usb-utils
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package usb-utils
osmc@osmc:~$ lsusb
-bash: lsusb: command not found
osmc@osmc:~$

Any ideas?

sudo apt-get install usbutils?

That worked! Here you go:

osmc@osmc:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2357:0109
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
osmc@osmc:~$

I’ve added support for the dongle.

It will probably be in OSMC next month, and definitely in the month after.

Amazing!! Thank you so much! Will keep an eye out and will continue to support osmc. :smile:

If you are interested in testing the driver early, let me know.

Defo! Just let me know when you want it tested / how to test it.

Edit /etc/apt/sources.list
Change http://apt.osmc.tv jessie main to http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
Do sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

It workssssss omg!! You’re a genius mate! Thought I’d have to wait 2 months didn’t think you’d be this quick! Did a couple of reboots to see if it was still alive. All seems good so far, hopefully it will keep working. Thank you :slight_smile: