Transmission - cannot update settings.json, no download

Hello,

I installed OSMC from MyOSMC store on my Rpi4 and the rpc-whitelist in the settings.json cannot get changed. It gets overwritten every time a start Transmission.

Here is the Log

Thanks a lot,

Hi,

Aug 22 21:42:23 osmc transmission-daemon[1190]: [2023-08-22 21:42:23.924] Couldn't bind port 51413 on 185.212.227.144: Cannot assign requested address (net.c:452)

Why are you using public IP in your config? how are you editing the settings file?

Regards Tom.

Hi Tom,

Not sure what you mean with Public IP

I edit the settings.json by stopping Transmission, editing, reloading the Daemon et starting Transmission. Was that your question ?

Thanks

Hi,

This is the public ip address 185.212.227.144. I think this is why you are having issues. Why are you changing the bind address if you are trying to set the rpc-whitelist?

Regards Tom.

Hi,

This address is my VPN address.
In the past (with my previous Rpi2), I had to set the bind address to the VPN one and the rpc-whitelist to the router/home address (192.168.1.*) from which I access transmission on my laptop and to which network my Rpi is also registered, to get it to work.

Thanks

Hi,

I’m seeing the errors in the log for the vpn failing are you sure its up?

I’m not sure why you would need to bind to the VPN IP. I’m running transmission behind a vpn and I’ve not had to do this.

Regards Tom.

Hi Tom,

yes, the address of the ifconfig.me/ip was correct. The VPN is not stopped and I have edited the json file with the new IP address 90.114.17.151. Here is the new log: https://paste.osmc.tv/aqinosavan
…but still not downloading.

Do you know actually how to reset the json to the default settings. Because deinstalling Transmission does not delete the file.

Thanks,

Hi,

sudo systemctl stop transmission.service
rm /home/osmc/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json
sudo systemctl start transmission.service

Thanks Tom.

Thank you Tom. It´s now downloading !!

1- How can I now link the downloads to the VPN status ? Meaning when the VPN is down, the download stops…

2- Also, is the VPN always trying to reconnect automatically when down through the following command ?

After=network.target

under /lib/systemd/system/openvpn@.service

Thanks

Hi Tom,

thank you. I´ve implemented the AUTOSTART function and seems like it´s working fine.

How about the point #1 ?

Thanks a lot

That’s in there as well the killswitch link the the first post.

Regards Tom.

Hi Tom,

thanks. The Killswitch will only allow the Rpi to be connected to the internet via the VPN.

This is not exactly what I am looking at doing: I want to stop Transmission if the VPN is down (and only Transmission)…but want to allow my Pi to continue to connect to the internet.

Thank you

Then I suggest you start using Google to figure out how to achieve that

2 Likes