Tried on a pi1 worked ok... pi 3 is awful

borrowed an original PI installed osmc, worked ok even the interface itself was slow. So bought a PI 3. Videos hang and lose sound, it is unusable. So where do I begin to troubleshoot, are there logs somewhere that might give a clue? It is a wired connection so no wifi/bluetooth issues. Thoughts/pointers ( to faqs or walktrhoughs, all welcome) please folks,

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. Please see How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC for advice on how to help us.

Do you by any chance get a rainbow displayed on your TV when using your Pi3?

If so, that indicates a powerissue. Your powersupply might have been good enough for the pi1, but the pi3 uses alot more power (still low consumption, but is way higher than the pi1)

thank you… logs uploaded to http://paste.osmc.io/adugusugip.

Power is supplied by a powered usb hub which is doing nothing else.

How to reproduce, power on , play a video. the debug info shows around 9 fps.

peripherals. A logitech wireless keyboard with a little dongle thingy.

sample media :-

General
Complete name : \192.168.0.1\tv\The Night Manager\The Night Manager S01E03 (6 March 2016) HDTV 720p.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size : 995 MiB
Duration : 58mn 5s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 2 395 Kbps
Collection : The Night Manager
Season : 1
Album : The Night Manager
Album/Performer : BBC TV
Part : 3
Part/Position : 1
Track name : Episode 3
Track name/Position : 3
Grouping : Drama,Thriller
Performer : BBC One
Composer : BBC iPlayer
Genre : Drama
ContentType : TV Show
Description : While he continues to recuperate in Roper’s villa, Pine starts to dig up secrets.
Recorded date : UTC 2016-03-06 21:00:00
Tagged date : UTC 2016-03-06 23:08:51
Writing application : Lavf55.33.100
Copyright : 2016 British Broadcasting Corporation, all rights reserved
Cover : Yes
Lyrics : While he continues to recuperate in Roper’s villa, Pine starts to dig up secrets about the other members of the household. Meanwhile, Burr and Steadman seize on an opportunity to recruit a new asset. / / EPISODE / BBC One - The Night Manager, Episode 3 / / SERIES / BBC One - The Night Manager
Comment : While he continues to recuperate in Roper’s villa, Pine starts to dig up secrets.
Part_ID : s01e03
TVNetworkName : BBC One

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 58mn 5s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 2 296 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 3 500 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.100
Stream size : 954 MiB (96%)

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 58mn 4s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 93.5 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Frame rate : 46.875 fps (1024 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 38.8 MiB (4%)
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 1

But how much juice does the usb hub psu supply?

Edit your advancedsettings.xml and try dropping that to 1.0

Also, try it on a fresh install.
Before any addons have been installed.

Did you reinstall or just plug the mmc card from the Pi 1 to the pi 3?
(assuming you used a convertor)

Always do fresh install if you go from one pie to another.

The /boot/ settings are not the same and are by default made during installation.
I suggest you make a backup of the files you keep in /home/osmc.
which you can copy back after you reinstall.

all installs were fresh, I have just popped out and bought a 5v 2.4a powersupply., behaviour is the same. I have tried an openelec version on a crappy old 4gb noname card and that seems marginally better.

The logs state otherwise.

1 Like

really…? I ran the downloaded windows installer and installed a new osmc image for pi 2/3. I will format the card and test again.

looked at my posts and I come across as a bit snappy, so just to make it clear, I am grateful for the support here, I want to get this to work and am happy to try any suggestion :wink: new logs at http://paste.osmc.io/epizunisax another thought, my network is configured for jumbo frames ( mtu 9000 ) . the pi 3 is not jumbo capable ( 10/100 ) could this cause problems?

Can you try putting a problematic video on a usb drive/stick and plug it directly in to the rpi3 and play it.

let us know what happens.

Power requirements increased significantly between Pi 1 and Pi 3.

6-7 fps, so not much difference. I have also tested the network speed and there is no real difference in copying from the NAS -> PI and from my computer -> PI ( ca 10mb/s )

I’m not certain that the fps count is accurate on pi. How does it look?

The frame count in the debug overlay is the overlay frame count and not the video fps if I remember correctly. I think it’s limited to 10 fps by default, there’s a setting to change it

it looks fine, but it stalls from time to time, so just for fun ( I have an odd view of what is fun ) I attached an old usb->sata dongle. and copied some files there, This seems to work pretty well. So I guess I will install samba and mount that disk on my nas and copy files there. little clunky but it seems to work, thanks for all the suggestions and help.!