Turn Off 0.10.3+matrix.1 and OSMC 2023.01-1

I yesterday got an update of my OSMC installation to the 2023.01-1 release. Everything else seems to work, except the add-on Turn Off (version 0.10.3+matrix.1) is no longer able to switch the display off.

My setup is a Raspberry Pi 3 and a 1920×1080 computer display on HDMI. Before this version, the Turn Off selection “No Signal on Raspberry Pi (using vcgencmd)” switched the display to power save, but no longer. I’ve tried the other methods available, but to no avail. Either they do nothing, or they seem to turn so much stuff off the machine can never be woken from power save. I suspect USB (where my remote control & keyboard are) gets switched off.

Anyone else seeing this, have you found solutions? Are there other solutions to making the display go to power save when idle?

Which version are you coming from? Could it be that your previous version was quite old?

Maybe crosscheck this thread

1 Like

We haven’t changed much in the 2023.01 update from the last, so as @fzinken suggests, you may have updated or reinstalled from quite an older version.

Keep an eye on that thread

Sam

I had gone with all suggested OSMC updates, so whatever was the latest version before this update was what I had (unfortunately I hadn’t marked down what it was, sorry). I believe the latest update happened at least a few weeks back?

Unfortunately, the current solution from that thread depends on using external hardware, not a directly connected display. I’m having a hard time believing there is no longer any available method to switch HDMI output off in the Raspberry Pi environment?

Not really, did you read the last posts in that thread?

That would be strange as there was no major change with the last update.
Can you upload and share logs via MyOSMC?

Not really, did you read the last posts in that thread?

Have now read them, alas, not much help there.

Can you upload and share logs via MyOSMC?

Sure can, but I’d need some advice on exactly what events I need to log, and how? Just let the device sit on its own until the screen saver tries to activate?

About what I’ve tried: for example, vcgencmd just doesn’t seem to do anything to the display power:

$ vcgencmd display_power 0
display_power=1

And I suspect the oldish computer display I am using (BenQ 1920×1080 ET-0019-N, with VGA/DVI/HDMI inputs) doesn’t support CEC as that’s more of a television/consumer electronics thing. For example, after installing v4l-utils, trying the command:

$ cec-ctl --to 0 --standby
Driver Info:
Driver Name : vc4_hdmi
Adapter Name : vc4
Capabilities : 0x0000010e
Logical Addresses
Transmit
Passthrough
Connector Info
Driver version : 5.10.78
Available Logical Addresses: 1
DRM Connector Info : card 0, connector 32
Physical Address : 1.0.0.0
Logical Address Mask : 0x0002
CEC Version : 1.4
Vendor ID : 0x001582 (Pulse-Eight)
OSD Name : ‘’
Logical Addresses : 1 (Allow Fallback to Unregistered)

Logical Address          : 1 (Recording Device 1)
        Primary Device Type    : Record
        Logical Address Type   : Record

Transmit from Recording Device 1 to TV (1 to 0):
STANDBY (0x36)
Sequence: 194368 Tx Timestamp: 110183.390s
Tx, Not Acknowledged (4), Max Retries

I also tried to install cec-client, but neither did that do any good:

$ echo ‘standby 0’ | cec-client -s -d 1
opening a connection to the CEC adapter…
ERROR: [ 46] CLinuxCECAdapterCommunication::Open - ioctl CEC_S_MODE failed - errno=16
ERROR: [ 46] could not open a connection (try 1)
ERROR: [ 1046] CLinuxCECAdapterCommunication::Open - ioctl CEC_S_MODE failed - errno=16
ERROR: [ 1046] could not open a connection (try 2)
ERROR: [ 2046] CLinuxCECAdapterCommunication::Open - ioctl CEC_S_MODE failed - errno=16
ERROR: [ 2047] could not open a connection (try 3)
ERROR: [ 3047] CLinuxCECAdapterCommunication::Open - ioctl CEC_S_MODE failed - errno=16
ERROR: [ 3047] could not open a connection (try 4)
ERROR: [ 4047] CLinuxCECAdapterCommunication::Open - ioctl CEC_S_MODE failed - errno=16
ERROR: [ 4047] could not open a connection (try 5)
ERROR: [ 5047] CLinuxCECAdapterCommunication::Open - ioctl CEC_S_MODE failed - errno=16
ERROR: [ 5047] could not open a connection (try 6)
ERROR: [ 6048] CLinuxCECAdapterCommunication::Open - ioctl CEC_S_MODE failed - errno=16
ERROR: [ 6048] could not open a connection (try 7)
ERROR: [ 7048] CLinuxCECAdapterCommunication::Open - ioctl CEC_S_MODE failed - errno=16
ERROR: [ 7048] could not open a connection (try 8)
ERROR: [ 8049] CLinuxCECAdapterCommunication::Open - ioctl CEC_S_MODE failed - errno=16
ERROR: [ 8049] could not open a connection (try 9)
ERROR: [ 9049] CLinuxCECAdapterCommunication::Open - ioctl CEC_S_MODE failed - errno=16
ERROR: [ 9049] could not open a connection (try 10)
^C [I got tired here and pressed ctrl/c]
signal caught: 2 - exiting
unable to open the device on port Linux
ERROR: [ 10050] could not start CEC communications

Also trying to install xset did not seem to help here (it’s part of x11-xserver-utils, does Kodi even run under X on OSMC?) and vbetool has no installation candidate (although it’s referred to by another package?)

There is no CEC on your 14 yr old computer monitor your using. Any option that involves CEC will not work. Disabling the display via vcgencmd is no longer supported and it was expected that it broke with the first OSMC release with Kodi 19 which brought in a new video stack. That screensaver your using also appears to have stopped getting updated two years ago. The solution proposed using “setterm -term linux -blank force < /dev/tty0” requires Kodi not be running so obviously this isn’t an option that can be integrated into a Kodi add-on.

No

I had the same experience. I have always updated osmc and only in this last one did vcgencmd stop working.
If I switched to the old video driver it did work but then I couldn’t play h264 videos.

Maybe there is a new way to switch off hdmi in the new video driver?

1 Like

Yeah, but it can be edited to do whatever I can imagine on the command line. Any suggestions, I’m sure there has to be some way to accomplish this?

Nothing special to log, just upload via MyOSMC - Log Uploader so that we understand what the last upgrade changed

If I had something to offer I would have posted it. If upgrading your display to one that includes CEC isn’t an option, then reinstalling an older version of OSMC and not updating may be the path of least resistance. I looked around and tried a few things but without result.

1 Like

I have been trying all kinds of ways to turn off hdmi and none seem to work. There is one that might be promising and that is vbetool. It doesn’t have an installation candidate in this osmc for the rpi version but maybe we can build it from source or add a repo that has it.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Error during update 2023-01