Tv Headend Client skipping frames playing 1080 50fps h264 on Vero4K+ after May update

Hello,
After the May update i observed the TV Headend client skipping frames, around 500 frames every 30 seconds, when playing live tv in FullHD (1080) at 50 fps. The video decoder is am-h264 (HW).
The other SD (720x576) channels at 50FPS using am-mpeg2(HW) play well, no frame skipping at all.

The server is on the local network, on a RPI3B+ with LE 9.0.1 (which plays all channels locally without any problems).

Does anyone has any thoughts on what may be the problem with the osmc and how to debug it?

My hardware is Vero4K+ with osmc’s may update.

Hi,

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

@Tom_Doyle thanks for guidance

here is the log url with the issue reproduced

https://paste.osmc.tv/dukeqazahe

i guess that these lines demonstrate the problem

May 21 23:58:42 osmc kernel: vidioc_qbuf skip: index:3372:3371
May 21 23:58:42 osmc kernel: vidioc_qbuf skip: index:3377:3376

What is the next step ? :slight_smile:

I just tested the LIVE TV from my laptop, playing simultaneously the same channel, using the browser player from TV Headend web interface and it works without any issues. Therefore i can conclude that the server and network are OK and the problem is localised within Vero4k+.

You’ve played back a recording from local storage to rule out a network issue, right?

Not sure how to make a local record from live TV, because the server is on another machine, but, playing from network another movie with a higher bit rate works.
I hope that the example is relevant enaugh.

Just made another test which is interesting. I’ve managed to record couple minutes of TV.
Remote HD recoding plays well, but Live TV still skips frames.

I am working on some improvements.
It will take a few days.

Sam

1 Like

Not sure if the same root cause but I don’t want to create a new topic yet - I have similar problem (stuttering) with 60 fps 1080p youtube videos. It’s in my opinion some regression introduced with the latest update as this is something I observed after the update.
If you want to create a new topic for that or deliver logs let me know.

The YouTube addon has nothing to do with TvHeadend. So yes, create a new, appropriately titled thread and include useful debug information including description of the issue in as much detail as possible and debug enabled logs that demonstrate the issue. Thanks

Updated OSMC yesterday and now I’m facing the same Live TV stuttering problems. Running OSMC on a RPI3 with TVH server and HTSP client.

logs, please.

1 Like

Do we have any news here? :slightly_smiling_face:

There are some fixes that will be made available soon, but I am not sure if it will definitely improve your situation

Cheers

Sam

Hey guys,
I’m just reporting back.
This issue appeared after May update and now, after July update, it disappeared ( magic :wink: ).
Everything is playing smooth right now.

Thank you @sam_nazarko, @gckjk, @grahamh, @Tom_Doyle :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to hear this.

@jahutchi – spanner in the works by the looks of it…

Indeed the plot thickens LiveTV Video Stuttering after May Update