TVheadend only reproduces HD channels

I’ve installed tvheadend succesfully, but when I use it with Kodi with the “Live TV” function, it only reproduces correctly HD channels, the SD channels are like radio stations, only audio, no video.

However, if I access TVheadend from my iPhone app or some PC I can see any channel correctly. Also, I can see any SD channel if I reproduce it through airplay from my iPhone to osmc

Any solution?

have you purchased and installed the codecs?

Is it necesary? I think that with raspbmc on rasp1 I was able to see SD channels, but I really can remember that.

However, if I can see the SD channels on other devices and with airplay on kodi, I think that that’s not the problem

sd is probably mpeg2 but what do I know??

ok, where could I buy the codec for rasp2?

http://www.raspberrypi.com/license-keys/

HD can be both mpeg2 and mpeg4, mpeg4 is just better bandwith usage(lower)…

i use tvheadend, and works fin with channels here… i have bought both codecs

HarryL, I have an HDHR EXTEND (from SiliconDust) that should receive and display HD channels. I have TVHeadend setup (thanks to you and @kphammond9) and am now able to veiw live TV on my RPi 2 with OSMC RC2. The problem is, all of my channels are displayed in 4:3 aspect ratio, not the 16:9 that they are broadcast in (i have a PC running WinMC with some different tuner cards watching the same channels on a different TV… they are displayed in the 16:9 format). In addition, the resolution is HORRIBLE (a lot of tiling, as if not fully decompressed when displayed). However, i have only purchased the MPEG-2 license, not the VC-1 license. I did a little digging and it looks like the VC-1 codec may be used by broadcast networks. So, i’ve purchased the codec license, but the key has not arrived yet. So, my question is, can the aspect ratio be affected by the codec? If not, is there a setting in the TVHeadend server that i’m missing? Or, is there something in OSMC that i need to set up?

Thanks,
Mike

Update: I received and installed the VC-1 license and there’s no difference… still 4:3 aspect ratio and horrible resolution.

In a different forum, there has been good coverage of the formats used in UK for freeview - SD uses mpeg2 and HD uses H 624(?), but no VC1.
My set-top freeview box sometimes switches to 4:3 for some of the repeats of older programmes, as this was the way they were recorded (very odd when it changes to 16:9 fo the Ads, and then back again)
HTH
Derek

Hi @Gmoney

The HDHR EXTEND can transcode as far as i know…

are you sure you are using TVheadend and dvb_hdhomerun tuner driver for linux with your HDHR EXTEND tuner? not DLNA?

A tuner do not change the signal, just deliver the data in this case MPEG4 signal… are you using tvheadend pvr addon?

So, i’m not exactly sure what you’re asking, but what i can say is that i followed your instructions on how to install TVheadend, including the dvb_hdhomerun “wrapper” for OSMC (which uses a linux kernel), so i think the proper answer to your question is “yes”. However, i’m a little confused by the DLNA question… are you saying that the HDHR box might see the RPi2+OSMC as a DLNA client?

I have not taken any extra steps to enable/install the pvr addon (would i download that from the app store?). That is, unless your instructions included installing the pvr addon and i didn’t realize it. The instructions i’m referring to are in the thread located at OSMC RC Unable to install TVHEADEND

The HDHR EXTEND has hardware transcoding. That tells me that if the signal coming from the broadcaster uses one type of compression, and the device requesting the stream wants another, the HDHR will transcode (decompress using one codec and [re]compress using a different codec). So, it depends on what TVheadend is “requesting”, correct?

I’m in the US and am hooked to a us-cable-irc feed (at least that’s what the HDHR is reporting when i use the hdhomerun_config tool on the command line). My 16:9 channels look like they are 4:3 and the older programs that are broadcast in 4:3 look like 3:4, that is, taller than they are wide. So something is getting translated incorrectly.

Also, i did receive the VC-1 license and tried it out. There is absolutely no change in the picture; neither the aspect ratio nor the resolution. So there’s something else going on here… just don’t know what.

In my case, it’s/was my TV that sees the 4:3 signal and adds bars, but in denmark the last few year they only send all content in 16:9 and from the broadcaster add the bars if content is 4:3… i think at least ;-)…i have not seen any problem anywhere like this for some time…

@Gmoney have you try’d
http://kodi.tv/addon-spotlight-hdhomerun-live-tv/

an addon for your tuner(not mine)…