TVHeadEnd recordings: No free adapter or Time missed?

Hi,

I need some help to troubleshoot my Vero 4K+ setup.

First of all - a listing of the hardware used:

Router: Netgear genie C6250EMR (ISP provided router)
Tuner: HDHomeRun EXPAND HDHR3-4DC (4 tuners)
Switch: Linksys LGS105 (not enough ports in the router - so 5 port gigabit switch needed)
NAS: Synology DS107 (to store the recordings. NFS share created)

Vero 4K+ with standard Kodi setup, and TVHeadEnd service enabled.

The problem: Some scheduled recordings end up being either partial or missed completely.

For instance I have an example of a recording - scheduled to last an hour.
I end up with a recording of 15 minutes or so - and then the recording stops.
Nevertheless in TVHeadEnd it is reported as begin “complete” - under finished recordings

Another recording (see image - Unthinkable) - gets partially recorded - ends up in TVHeadEnd under failed recordings.
Reason: No free adapter.

Yet other planned recordings - never gets recorded.
In failed recordings in TVHeadEnd - it says: Time missed.
The Vero 4K+ is on 24/7 - so why would it miss the scheduled recording?

What do I do to troubleshoot this?

Here is a (useful I hope) log from the setup - to shed some light upon the issue.

I should mention - that this is not my own setup - it is at my brothers place, so there can be a slight delay,
if you need me to carry our additional steps, or need further information.

Log file

Is the adapter being used to play another channel?

Hi Sam,

No - the adapter was not playing another channel.

Just to rule out - capacity problems.

Is the Vero powerful enough to run as TVHeadEnd server - AND - be used for playing content at the same time?

E.g. 4 concurrent recordings (HDHomerun with 4 tuners) - and playing back a stored recording from the NAS. Would that be a problem?

That should work.

Ok Sam - thanks for clearing that up.

Monday - august 5th - I intend to go to my brothers place - and redo the whole setup.

I hope that fixes the problem at hand.
If not - is there a TVHeadEnd log-file I can look into for troubleshooting? (assuming the error has to do with TVHeadEnd).

Regarding the network - could the ISP router be a bottleneck? (people often seem to be dissatisfied with their performance, and tend to set the ISP router in bridge mode, and then use their own router with better specs).

I assume all devices are in the same LAN, or? If so you only use the switch function of the router so performance should not matter unless you talk about WiFi performance

Good point fzinken. Yes all tevices are in the same LAN!

Vero is the only device used for playback - so we can’t blame WiFi.

Last but not least.
I’m aware that the NAS (Synology DS107) is ancient in this world - but it has a Gigabit network interface, and I assume that is plenty for this kind of operation. (even if you had 4 recordings and 1 playback going at the same time?)

Investigating further on the matter.

This can’t be good - continuity error:

Bad/poor antenna cable?
Vero in close proximity to router and digital tuner?

Think I have found the culprit…
Checking signal status for each tuner - and therefore started a recording per tuner.

Turns out that the Synology NAS seems to be the bottleneck after all…
CPU maxes out - with only 2 concurrent recordings… and everything clogs up

That’s annoying – but at least you found the culprit. You could run the server on the Vero.

Sam

Yeah for sure annoying - but at least root cause has been found (I hope) :wink:

I’m not sure I follow you on the server part - regarding the Vero.

Can you elaborate on that Sam?

Well I assume @sam_nazarko was thinking that you run the TVHeadend Server on the NAS while I assume you are running it on the Vero as you write in your first report.

So basically you are saying the NAS max out the CPU when several files are written to it in parallel?
That shouldn’t happen especially if you use NFS.

That was my initial thought - but as I asked specifically in post #4 for possible capacity problems - running TVHeadEnd server - AND - using the Vero as playback device.
And Sam replied with a “That should work” - I would assume he already knows, that I’m running TVHeadEnd on the Vero.

And yes the NAS max out the CPU - when there is two concurrent recordings - using NFS.

This monday (august 5th) - I will do a new setup from scratch - the NAS will be factory reset to rule out any (old) misconfiguration.

that would be really strange unless the software raid is messing up.

Maybe a stupid question - but would there be software raid in play - on a one-bay NAS?

should not, I didn’t looked up your NAS so just made general comment

Thought so :wink:

I owned a Syno DS-107+ which I replaced by a DS-214se when Synology stopped updating the 107-series … and that was in year 2014.
I appriciate using HW as long as possible … but here it has reached the edge of what is possible and what make sense to invest time. Time to invest in a new and fast HW. The old NAS could still serve as backup device in the intranet.

Yeah - I tend to agree Jim.
I might be a bit to optimistic regarding the capabilities of the DS107
Might give a last shot though (and then bring a new NAS with me - when I go se my brother next week) :wink: