Update got stuck 96%

Hallo!

The December Update got stuck on my Rpi3 at 96% installing python-dbus and now I dont know what to do. Should I reset it? Or wait?
Any clue?

Thanks Alex

Update: I did a hard reset. And the Pi booted up ok. The Version of OSMC is 2017.12-1 and the Kernel is: 4.9.29-10-osmc
How can I check if there are unmet dependencies?

I had to do
sudo dpkg --configure -a

after that
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
just showed the things that now can be removed with
sudo apt autoremove

Cheers!
Alex

Now I am not sure if all the packages can be safely removed?
Here is the list of them:

Die folgenden Pakete wurden automatisch installiert und werden nicht mehr benötigt:
armv7-libcrossguid-osmc bluez libapt-inst1.5 libbind9-90 libdns100 libgif4 libgnutls-deb0-28 libhogweed2 libicu52 libisc95 libisccc90 libisccfg90 libjasper1
liblwres90 libmicrohttpd10 libmysqlclient18 libnettle4 libntdb1 libplist2 libpng12-0 libpsl0 libssl1.0.0 libwebp5 libwebpdemux1 libwebpmux1 libxtables10
python-dbus-dev

Can anyone give a hint if any of these could be necessary at all?

Thanks!
Alex

They are safe to remove

The current kernel on a Pi3 should be 4.9.29-13. That kernel version is from the previous version of OSMC.

Probably best to run grab-logs -A and post the URL.

I will run logs tomorrow. But shouldn’t that kernel show up in

?

Thanks!
Alex

Clearly something isn’t right. You should be on kernel 4.9.29-13 after a dist-upgrade.

Logs should show what has gone wrong with the upgrade

Hallo and thanks for your help so far!

Here are the logs:
https://paste.osmc.tv/zuzerivovu

I hope it will get something clear!

Cheers Alex

Try and post the output of a manual dist-upgrade.

Paketlisten werden gelesen… Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen… Fertig
Paketaktualisierung (Upgrade) wird berechnet… Fertig
Die folgenden Pakete wurden automatisch installiert und werden nicht mehr benötigt:
armv7-libcrossguid-osmc bluez libapt-inst1.5 libbind9-90 libdns100 libgif4 libgnutls-deb0-28 libhogweed2 libicu52 libisc95 libisccc90 libisccfg90 libjasper1
liblwres90 libmicrohttpd10 libmysqlclient18 libnettle4 libntdb1 libplist2 libpng12-0 libpsl0 libssl1.0.0 libwebp5 libwebpdemux1 libwebpmux1 libxtables10
python-dbus-dev
Verwenden Sie »sudo apt autoremove«, um sie zu entfernen.
0 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 0 nicht aktualisiert.

Thats nothing to do except autoremove those packages… :frowning:

Now I did the autoremove:

Paketlisten werden gelesen… Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen… Fertig
Paketaktualisierung (Upgrade) wird berechnet… Fertig
0 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 0 nicht aktualisiert.

That is strange.

Thanks for your help!
As I said the upgrade stopped at 96%. I waited very long about 15 minutes but the RPi was getting hot. So I did a hard reset and then did:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Then it went on and completed the changes. All seems well except that dillthedog said it should be kernel 4.9.29-13 instead of 4.9.29-10-osmc.
I am asking myself if perhaps the kernel integration did not work, so the kernel could be present but not active?
Is there something like grub on the device I can refresh?
Alex

The kernel 4.9.29-13 package has been installed:

ii  rbp2-image-4.9.29-10-osmc            10                             armhf        Linux kernel binary image for version 4.9.29-10-osmc
ii  rbp2-image-4.9.29-13-osmc            13                             armhf        Linux kernel binary image for version 4.9.29-13-osmc

but it looks like the full kernel installation process did not work. For example, there’s no mention in the log of any /etc/kernel/postinst.d scripts having run (or why not).

Perhaps @sam_nazarko can advise further.

Well, that sounds like a solution. Can I run the kernel install scripts manually?

Just run:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall rbp2-kernel-osmc
sudo apt-get install --reinstall rbp2-image-4.9.29-13-osmc

Hallo Sam Nazarko,

yep! :slightly_smiling_face:

uname -r
4.9.29-13-osmc
Thanks that should be it!
Alex

Glad this has worked for you. Let’s keep an eye on things and make sure they update properly with future updates.

Sam

Thanks for that, I appreciate!

I hope the SD card is not dying! No idea why it got stuck at the end of updating…

But I can save the configs on my NAS so a new install is not that much work. I am very happy with OSMC! :slight_smile:

Alex