Various issues with vero 4k+: no HDR, deep colour, frame packed 3D & CEC

Hi Sam & Graham,

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated and another step closer :slight_smile:

I finally had time to do some more testing, this time through my AVR. Some findings:

• It could not find the right resolution, and dropped back to 1280x720 max.
    • I did have a copy of the disp_cap, so copied that one as per this thread:
      Any way to persist HDMI edid data?
      With this I could switch to 1920x1080.
    • Note that before (older build), I did not have this problem. Maybe something changed in the EDID handshake towards the AVR?
  • Color on 4k HDR still seems off to me, maybe a wrong color space with different primaries? It feels a bit like PAL signal on NTSC color space if you know what I mean.
  • 3D playback is broken with the above disp_cap tweak. The projector does switch to 3D mode, but it shows me 2 halves on top of each other, with the bottom of each half corrupted. A bit like an half-OU video, but then with the bottom parts corrupted for each of the halves.
  • Finally I tried force RGB, but this did not make any difference in color rendering. (Note I stayed on 16-240 limited range all the time as recommended above). This indicates to me it is on the HDR->SDR conversion side, and not related to YCbCr vs YUV or something.
  • CEC seems to work top-down if you know what I mean. So with my projector remote I can actually control both my amplifier volume and the vero 4k menu. The other way around does not work, the vero volume control just changes the volume inside osmc.

This leaves me with the following questions:

• Any more info on the HDR->SDR tone mapping?
    • Could it be that my SDR deep color does something funky with the colourspace?
    • The fact that my menus & subtitles become gray, is that supposed to happen?
  • Any idea on why the EDID comes back empty through the AVR?
    • As a workaround, is there any more in-depth way to just use the EDID from the projector so that it also works with frame packed 3D?
  • Any ideas on the CEC volume bottom up?
  • And last but not least, anything you want me to specifically test / log / etc?
    • For example, is there a good test set in 1080p, 4k SDR, 4k HDR 10bit, 12bit, etc that I can compare? I saw different resolutions of big buck bunny, but no mention of SDR/HDR or bit depths.

Thanks!
Marijn