Vero 1 died after June update (due to borked kernel, update available)

Thanks, but I get reboots when using the apt-get command. I can never get it to finish without the device spontaneously rebooting. Guess I have to try to manually download the correct kernel and install. Can you or someone please send a link where I can find the appropriate kernel .deb file? Thanks.

Not if the kernel panics before the network is up…

@carson83 I recommend buying a USB keyboard. They’re not expensive and very useful in situations like this.

If the device spontaneously reboots it won’t be possible to install the kernel deb.

It’s possible to roll back to an older known good kernel by copying a file on the fat partition.

Put the SD card in your PC and look at the files named like vmlinuz-x.x.x-x-osmc. These are the current and previously installed kernels that are still installed but not active. To make one the active kernel delete zImage and copy the vmlinuz-x.x.x-osmc kernel and then rename the copied file to zImage. (Make sure capitalisation is correct - capital I)

zImage is the kernel that actually boots. Then safely remove the card and try to boot the vero from it. I would also remove rescue or recovery from uEnv.txt as it will probably boot normally with an older kernel.

Using this technique you can revert to an older kernel. I would try the oldest version kernel you see first. If you then run a full update you should get upgraded to the latest fixed kernel.

1 Like

Thanks DBMandrake your solution worked without problems. Had tried Sam’s solution but no go. Yours worked like a charm!

1 Like

Thanks. This procedure worked great!