Vero 1 died after June update (due to borked kernel, update available)

I had the same problem, but Sam solution worked and now it looks like it’s fine.

Thanks

Excellent to hear

If anyone is still experiencing an issue, do let me know

Sam

It’s now showing Linux osmc 4.4.0-2-osmc #1 SMP Sun Jun 19 20:30:36 UTC 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
so I think I am all good now.

I still cannot get to any prompt using a keyboard holding CTRL after connecting power. Tried a regular PC USB keyboard today, but no luck. Either I just get constant reboots with screens filled with text, sometimes it hangs completely at the OSMC splash screen.

Is my system completely corrupted, or is there something else I can do besides wiping everything?
Thanks.

Does the keyboard ‘light up’, e.g. does caps lock toggle work?

Yes, caps lock toggle works. The LED goes on and off.

Same problem here. Keyboard attached, but I’m only able to get into the emergency mode. Same procedure there?

Sometimes it boots a little longer, but then I get a sad face. Tried to SSH into the Vero at the sad face and were able to login, but it rebooted before I could complete the update. I get a lot of different behavior at each restart. Emergency mode seems to be most stable. I have run the commands there, but I get some error messages. It says something about -y can’t be used without —force-yes and 4.4.0-2-osmc… couldn’t be authenticated.

Same problem here, keeps on chrashing and rebooting.
Can’t complete the updates.

Maybe there is a way to let it stop trying to start kodi.
I think we need some help here.

So after a few other attemps it looks like the Vero has stop crashing an rebooting.
I have a stable IP stack and can Ssh to it.
But running the commands it gives an error:

osmc@vero:~$ The following packages have unmet dependencies:
osmc@vero:~$ vero-kernel-osmc : Depends: vero-image-4.4.0-2-osmc but it is not installed

Any one a idea ?

After a few more retries I were able to get to the login screen. When logged in I managed to run the commands, but one by one. The updating begun and after rebooting I’m back into osmc. Problem resolved.

So I reverted back to the april kernel by copying the old version on the fat partion to the zImage file .
All is working now but I didn’t dare to do the update again.

I don’t think updating will cause you issues.

Sam

I still have not managed to get to any login prompt after +15 attempts. Is there no way out for me Sam? Do I have to re-image the SD card?

Try adding rescue to uEnv.txt. Then you may be able to set up networking and install the updated kernel.

@DBMandrake: In the future, we should add a new target to /proc/cmdline which allows us to load everything but Kodi (just grep it in /proc/cmdline in the mediacenter watchdog script).

Sam

I added rescue to uEnv.txt and got a rescue console.

But now I don’t know what to do next? How do I set up networking and install the kernel?

I got the network up via manual setup with ifconfig and route add to the gateway. But what next? I cannot run sudo apt-get. It says sudo is not found? apt-get without sudo also is not found?

Sam got a little confused - it should be recovery not rescue that you want to add in uEnv.txt.

rescue is an initramfs console which has very limited commands available and does not even mount the root filesystem, (hence no apt-get) recovery is more of a full recovery environment, and does mount the root and /boot filesystems read/write for you…

apt-get and dpkg should work in recovery mode (no sudo needed) although you will not have networking unless you manually bring it up with ifconfig and route add etc.

Another option to bringing up the network manually is you could download the vero-image-x.x.x.x.deb package on a PC and copy it to the fat partition on the sd card.

After booting to recovery you could install it with dpkg -i /boot/packagename.deb

If you can get networking working in recovery mode however, you could just do:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -f dist-upgrade

I’m still not having any luck!

I kept getting kernel panics long before I could get to a console. On the one or two occasions when I did manage to get to a console, apt-get update kept failing because of segfaults in xz or bzip2 until eventually the kernel panicked again.

I added recovery to uEnv.txt and at least I can now consistently get a console, but that doesn’t help much. Every time I try to run apt-get update I either get hash mismatch errors, or it just spontaneously reboots and I have to start again.

I’m going to try @leurb’s approach of manually replacing the kernel image next.

EDIT: Still no luck. I’ll try manually downloading and installing the .deb tomorrow. If that also fails I’ll probably have to re-image the sd card.

Im having the same problems with kernal panics and then freezes, does updating with the may update work? I dont have a usb keyboard so everything has to be done via memory card and then transfer in to my OSMC. I can try and take a screen shot of my tv but it flashes fairly quick.
Some times it screen splashes and sometimes it just gives me a black screen.

SSH is your friend.