Vero 4K and playing files from shared folder on Windows desktop

I have just purchased a Vero 4k and the ONLY reason I did is to play 4K video from a shared folder on a desktop PC in another room WITH the external subtitle files. Both the Vero 4K and the PC have a wired connection to the Virgin Media Super Hub 3. I want to know how to set this up on my Windows PC. I was told by Vero support themselves that this can be done quickly and easily. Is there a walkthrough anywhere on how to do this? Many thanks

This is a good starting point, let us know if you have more questions

1 Like

Seems way more effort to get this working than I was thinking… I noticed an authentication issue in the logs:

nt-4K_Video.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited status=32
Jun 24 00:07:19 osmc systemd[1]: Failed to mount /mnt/4K_Video.
Jun 24 00:07:19 osmc systemd[1]: mnt-4K_Video.mount: Unit entered failed state.
Jun 24 00:07:19 osmc kernel: Status code returned 0xc000006d NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Logs.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

So, in summary:

• activate the logging
  • reboot the OSMC device
  • reproduce the issue
  • upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A
  • publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

I didnt particularly want to post details regarding my network on a public forum. I skimmed the log and did not see anything amazingly compromising, but what would I know really about stuff like that?

I forwarded the log to the support email.

Well, if we can’t see the errors, it’s going to hard to know what’s happening. We don’t know if you are using fstab or Kodi to mount, or even if you are using SMB or NFS. There should be nothing in the logs that are private information. Your internal IP addresses are useless to anyone.

You could PM any mod the link to your logs if you are that worried about it.

Thanks – the logs you sent are only fstab and system journal, so it’s not clear what the issue is.
I can see you’ve used fstab:

//192.168.0.150/4KVideo /mnt/4K_Video cifs x-systemd.automount,noauto,rw,iocharset=utf8,username=my_username,password=my_password,uid=osmc,gid=osmc,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770 0 0

This is a good choice, particularly for streaming high bitrate content.

You seem to know how to use SSH, could you show us the output of mount -av so we can see what the error is?

I will be travelling on Monday so my responses will be a bit slower, but I’ll make sure we get this working for you.

Cheers

Sam

Is this what’s really in your fstab, or did you sanitize it?

username=my_username,password=my_password

if that’s what is really in your fstab that’s probably incorrect. my_username and my_password need to be the real thing.

I’m sure he sanitised it.

Hi. I last posted after Midnight and after checking again today with fresh eyes, I saw that I had missed a section, so the fault was entirely with my not following the steps properly so apologies for that.

Although initially elated when it worked immediately on trying again today, I found a weird issue that most files I tried play video, subtitles and music just fine, most of the spoken audio is not there. I can hear f/x and background noise (like chatter from crowds) but the actual conversations of people are missing. I thought this is unlikely to do with streaming from my Windows PC, but just I’d ask. I tried about 4 files and 3 had this issue, while one was fine. I know this is not to do with the files as they play on my PC and from my TV just fine. Playing the Vero’s audio settings made no improvement either. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks again for all your assistance.

You get this playing, say, 5.1 sound on a stereo system. Set the number of channels in kodi to the number of speakers you actually have.

I have 7.1 speakers and that is the setting chosen within the Vero. Thanks

Please can you take a photo of your audio settings?

If you are using passthrough though, speakers in Kodi should be set to 2.0 so the data is sent unmolested to your AVR.

Only necessary for optical: 7.1 is fine if all passthrough formats are enabled properly.

I had a horrible feeling that this would end up being something related to ARC. I configured passthrough on my TV to play 4K video as my AV is 1080p, but I did not want to use the rubbish TV speakers. For some reason though on certain inputs there was no sound, so just a couple of days ago I also added an optical cable. So if I remove the cable but keep everything else the same, it should work with 7.1 speaker setup? Incidentally, Sam specifically mentioned ‘optical’ - what if I directly connected the TV to the AV via old school red and white left/right cables into the audio input? I doubt that would make a difference, but thought I’d ask. Thanks

What is the make/model of your TV? It could be telling vero it can only do stereo and ignoring the other channels. For full 7.1 with 4k video I suspect your only option is an HDMI splitter on the output of vero to take video to the TV, audio to the AVR.

An optical cable from vero to AVR or TV to AVR should give you 5.1.

Old-school RCA cables will work from the vero audio jack or from the TV output (headphones) but of course only stereo.

My TV is a late 2017 model - the Panasonic EX750b. FYI the optical audio cable goes from the TV to the AV. Does an optical cable only support 5.1 or something? If I can get a full 5.1 experience that would do me for now as long as that is compressing the 7.1 into 5.1 and not just ditching the speaking track or whatever.

I would not be able to get 3,840 resolution with a splitter would I? Had a look at the more inexpensive ones and they appear to mostly be about 2k or 1080p.

I’d welcome further suggestions.

S/PDIF via optical can only carry stereo PCM, Dolby Digital (AC3) or DTS, so not more than 5.1. Set the channels to 2.0, enable DD and DTS passthrough but not EAC3, TrueHD or DTS-HD. Also enable AC3 transcoding. That will give you 5.1 and your AVR will upmix the rear channels to sides and rear.

To do any better, you would need a splitter (or an AVR) that does 4k.

1 Like

Please excuse my newbie questions (seem to be repeating that a lot!), but does this need to be done on the Vero or on the AV (which the way is a Sony STR-DH820 bought 6 or 7 years ago). If by following these instructions I drop down the audio channels as per your instructions, what will happen to the last two tracks? Will they merge with other signals, as I assume the audio just won’t disappear. Will that mean that only 5.1 speakers will play audio, or that all speakers will play but there will only be 5.1 streams?