Vero 4k CPU temperatures high

Hi, lately my Vero 4k has been running quite hot, CPU near 100c and over. Quite often also crashing saying temperature something… Not sure if it started after latest osmc update. Now on Eminence 2.0 skin and watching CPU temp at System info at 95c. Ambient temp around 23c. I read there’s been other similar cases with Mimic but I dont use that.

I’ve also noticed the device is warmer since last update. The dhd_dpc daemon is constantly taking > 50% CPU which could account for this. @sam_nazarko is working on a solution for this.
Can you login to your device via SSH and verify you also see this?

I can. Can you give me the command line? I’m not that good with linux commands.

Just run “top” and you should see how much CPU it consumes (should be in top 3).

Confirmed. 55.5% dhd_dpc.

Same here. Big chance the constant usage of CPU is heating up your device more than before.

Ok. Thanks for quick reply. I quess I just have to wait till Sam gets to the bottom of this. Do you know what is irq/248-sd+, also using over 23%?

I think it’s related. Sam said something about problems with interrupts.

Since I don’t use WiFi on my Vero 4K, that daemon isn’t running, and I don’t have the temperature issues you are having. This is a really good indicator that it’s not something else heating up the system, too.

Should be fixed in:

To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Cheers

Sam

What do you see in My OSMC?
When you say the Vero is broken: can you elaborate on the other symptoms?

Sam

Seeems to have fixed it for me. Only process with > 1% CPU is kodi.bin once again. Thanks again for the quick fixes!!!

On a + note, just watched some 720p/AAC content on Amazon and it plays once again without stuttering and sync issues. 1080p/E-ACC-passthrough on Netflix was a bit to much for the box.

So far so good. Temperature is lower and no more cpu usage like before. Thanks for quick fix!

Didn’t help abit here, idle temp at 70 degrees and kodi has a minimum of 10% cpu all the time.

When playing some dsd files it reaches 100 degrees with cpu between 80 and 100%.
When playing some multichannel flac files it reaches 97 degrees with cpu between 70 and 85%.
When playing some stereo flac files it reaches 88 degrees with cpu between 20 and 30%.

That is totally normal. The fix was for a problem where the dhd driver took high CPU.

Just doing a full diagnose as Sam thought this maybe fixed my high cpu issues with playing music.

I don’t think your device will turn itself off now. Please let us know if that’s the case

Sam

It is much cooler now, then the ambient was around 30 degrees inside, now around 20.
Since it doesn’t reach the 110 as earlier, it doesn’t crash no more ofc.

Okay. Can you send me a file that’s particularly taxing on CPU? I’ll see what can be done

Cheers

Sam