Vero 4k+ craps out in middle of movie

https://paste.osmc.tv/sozocudiqa

Watching a 2160p movie and Vero 4k+ craps out at random places and I get the unhappy face.

To be honest, I was very excited about this device BUT
this device is giving me more headaches than any other device.

Hi

Firstly, you should enable Adjust Refresh Rate so you can watch your movies at 4K and at the correct refresh rate.

Unfortunately you don’t have debug logging enabled, so it’s hard to pinpoint what the problem is. If you can reproduce it reliably, then I’d recommend enabling debug logging and uploading new logs.

This should then allow us to identify the issue.

Here is a new log.
I replicated the problem and again received the unhappy face

https://paste.osmc.tv/rupitalena

For future versions of the Vero 4k+ I would recommend a physical ON/OFF or RESET button on the device. Unpligging the power to reboot the device is getting annoying.

You seem to be doing a lot of skipping about the movie. Do you get this problem if just watching from the beginning? Just trying to narrow things down.

Originally it crashed when just watching the movie
Then it crashed when I rebooted the V$K+ and then tried to FF to where the movie crashed.

This time, to replicate, I did the skipping around specifically to get it to crash.
Alternatively, do you want me to watch 2 hour movie in the hope that it crashes on its own?

BTW - is it possible to have debugging mode on always
but without all the text in the top left quarter.

Yes, add <loglevel>1</loglevel> to the <advancedsettings> section of .kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

Assuming that in your case just Kodi freezes you could login via SSH and reboot from there means you can do it remotely.

Do you really truly think that SSH means anything for 98% of the population ?
So in your world you have a computer available when you are relaxing watching a show.

Well so far it seemed that Vero customers don’t represent the typical 98% population. But yeah maybe we should reconsider the device for a broader audience.

Unfortunately, Yes

Set Kodi to 1080 instead of 2160 and that should solve your problem.

We recommend people with 4K TV’s set their user interface (UI) to 1080p. Kodi’s UI is not optimized for 4K yet and this can put unnecessary demands on your device and can lead to a suboptimal picture quality, as well as potentially cause other issues.

The settings we recommend are as follows…

Settings>System>Display>Resolution> 1920x1080p
Settings>System>Display>Whitelist> (empty) *
Settings>Player>Videos>Adjust display refresh rate> On start/stop

Some televisions may also need, or benefit from, the following being set…

System>Display>Force 4:2:2 colour subsampling> (enable)

With the above settings your UI will be output in Full HD and your 4K content will be output in 4K. *Information regarding the whitelist can be found here. If you have any doubt, feel free to upload some logs so we can verify that your settings are indeed correct.

Which means it probably has a TrueHD track.
If this is the case, your problem will be gone in the next update in a few days

Cheers

Sam

Yes - there is a TrueHD audio track in the mkv file.

I admit that I have a low G-IQ (Geek IQ).
Note: Being a “Geek”, person with high G-IQ, is a good thing (not insult)

bmillham TY for the settings help.

Yet again a crash. Watching a movie and press STOP and the signal is lost.
this mkv file does not have TrueHD

https://paste.osmc.tv/awadelojeq

Can you reliably reproduce the crash?

If so I’d suggest enabling debugging logging.

Here is one more symptom that has happened twice over the last 4 days.

When watching a video on Vero 4k+, I switched to TV while video was playing and then ended while watching TV, when I went back to Vero 4K+ all I saw was a blue screen. As I pushed navigation buttons I could hear the clicks but could not see any graphics - other than the blue screen.

Yet again, the only way to resolve the problem is to unplug power and plug in again.

Here is one more crash while just moving cursor over folders - not playing anything

https://paste.osmc.tv/ufalogelun

It looks like you have an external drive connected. Is that drive self powered, or is it powered via the Vero using USB?

1 Like

The USB drive is an SSD drive in enclosure powered by USB port.
I often play movies off that drive with no problems.

If the drive is powered via USB it may be drawing to much power. This could cause the instability that you’ve had. If you have a powered USB hub available it would be worth trying it.

Ha ha ha - so the Vero team put together a device
that can’t support an SSD via USB?
That is quite bad hardware development.

but … I doubt that is the issue because I often watch 2160p movies off the drive.
the crashing is intermittent.