Vero 4K+ crashed

Hello all,

I received and installed the new Vero I received, happy to discover.

After have spent some hours to know why I can’t show 3D MVC (even after downgrade of the OSMC version to 18.6.0-13, it didn’t run until it was ok… I don’t know why), everything’s fine, I’m happy.

But in one week, two times I found the OSMC not available, with the front “Cross” lighted on red. No SSH access, no video output, nothing. I need to remove power on and plug it again. It doesn’t happen when I’m showing a movie, only during idle time, and to always.

Do you have any idea about what I should do ? Is there logs I can share ?

Thank you

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Thank you for your quick answer, but I probably wasn’t clear in my previous message : “reproduce the issue” will be difficult, as I don’t know when and why it happens. I can switch on logs, but I’m afraid about the fact it will be verrrrryyyyy long if the bug doesn’t happen again before some days.

Thank you.

Than maybe not activate debug logs and just upload logs after it happened. The logs will include the previous log also.

Thank you for your help : here you are, the log I just export. The crash came about 20m minutes before, I think : http://paste.osmc.io/oxawitibon.xml

Thank you again :slight_smile:

@Sinisan If you add this to advancedsettings.xml, debug logging will be enabled but you won’t get the annoying text on-screen.

<advancedsettings>
        <loglevel>1</loglevel>
        <debug>
                <showloginfo>false</showloginfo>
        </debug>
</advancedsettings>

From what we see without debug logging, the only thing happening just before the crash is some failed hits on thetvdb.com which seems unlikely to be the cause but may be related.

Could you please try to get debug logs using the trick above?

Quitting due to POSIX signal is a kind of “clean shutdown”.
Could be overheating. Suggest you may try the OSMC skin for a couple of days to see if the crash goes away with that.

1 Like

If the device is overheating, it won’t shutdown cleanly.
Something (perhaps an add-on or system timer) is triggering a shut down on the device. If the device was overheating, it wouldn’t be possible to power it back up again immediately.

Hello all,

this morning, the Vero 4K+ was stopped, with the red plus light on the front. I unplugged it and it restarted (about 9h15 this morning 23/10), but I don’t know from when it crashed (perhaps the 21/10).

Here’s the log : https://paste.osmc.tv/raw/aqeqotilux

If you have any idea (I’ll update to October version of 4.9 test build, but the problem is perhaps different)

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

You would need to change deb http://apt.osmc.tv videoimprovevero main to deb http://apt.osmc.tv videoimprovevero49 main when you want to update.

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:
How/where to change this ?

Thank you

In /etc/apt/sources.list where you originally edited it.

Sure, sorry, I need to wake up :slight_smile:
Thank you

I trust that this is now resolved?

Sam

Hello Sam,

I don’t know, as the crash is really not systematic. I upgraded to October version of 4.9 test build, but what you saw in this log https://paste.osmc.tv/raw/aqeqotilux was concerned by the update ?

thank you for your kind attention,

I’ll keep you in touch.

I’m having the same problem with mine — it will hang completely, with no response to the remote or attempts to ssh in. Only pulling the power works, and it boots straight away after reconnecting power. The red cross only illuminates some of the time. If the TV is on, the picture either freezes, goes in and out of sync (I assume — TV goes to “no signal” and then back again) or, one time, skewed at a 45° angle!

It seems to be particularly prevalent when trying to resync the library because Emby’s Kodi plugin has once again lost track of what’s on the server — so it’s doing a fair bit of work at those times, but doesn’t feel particularly hot to the touch. However, I’ve often come home (back in the days when you could actually go outside) to find it either hung, or automatically rebooted (which means it loses HDMI sync as the TV and amp were off at the time, meaning I have to SSH in and reboot).

I have a debug log, but when I try to use grab-logs -A it responds with

Logs successfully uploaded.
Logs available at https://paste.osmc.tv/<html>

This isn’t terribly helpful :grin:

I get the same message when uploading via the GUI. If I try saving the logs to a card, it says “saved successfully” but then, when I pull the card, I get a message saying “unsafe card removal” and there are no files on the card. Although, judging by grab-logs --help, it’s just saving it to /boot — which isn’t on an SD card — and not to what’s in the Micro SD slot. If that’s what the menu item does as well, it might be worth rewording it to avoid this confusion…

Hopefully Dropbox - uploadlog.txt - Simplify your life is the right debug log file. (Please let me know when I can delete it so it’s not cluttering my Dropbox forever, though…)

Has this only happened since moving to 4.9?

If the red LED is coming on, the device has likely overheated.
Can you make sure it’s not obstructed or sitting on any sources of heat, like on top of an AVR.

If the red LED is coming on, the device has likely overheated.
Can you make sure it’s not obstructed or sitting on any sources of heat, like on top of an AVR.

Thanks — I put it on a metal pan lid to act as a heatsink and reran the library scan, and it seemed to help. Not an ideal solution, looks-wise, though!

It’s sitting in the open on top of an IKEA TV table, with plenty of space around it, so I’m not sure why it would overheat. I didn’t get any dust coming out when I sprayed it with an air duster, so I don’t think it’s clogged. I’ll see if elevating it by putting some spacers under the feet helps long-term.

How old is your device?

Sam

I bought it in March 2019.