Vero 4K+ crashed

@sam_nazarko Hi — as I mentioned over on the Vero V thread, I’m still getting hangs when trying to do anything intensive, like rescan the Jellyfin library.

I tried a complete reinstall of OSMC, to clear out the cruft; all I’ve done since is install the Arctic Zephyr: Reloaded skin and the Jellyfin (not Jellycon) plugin.

When the Jellyfin plugin tried to rescan the libraries, it scanned all of the TV shows and about 66% of the movies before hanging. After cycling the power, it stayed at “please stand by” for a minute or two before continuing to boot, so it looks heat-related. I’m not convinced the skin is to blame, as most of the fancy stuff comes from optional addons that I haven’t installed; these are the only extra ones it’s brought in:

Debug logs are here; I’ve redacted the URL to my Jellyfin server and my personal domain, but they’re otherwise unmolested.

https://paste.osmc.tv/isoloposaj

(Edit: a thought — could the 4K+ just be full of dust? Is it easy to open it up and clean? It’s not like there’s any warranty left on something bought in 2019…)

Thanks!

You could open the device. You might find that the heatsink needs re-seating.

It would be useful if you monitored the temperatures under System Info → Hardware. If your device is over-heating, then you should see a solid red light on the front of the device. If you don’t see that, I’d be surprised if the device is over-heating.

Have you actually tried changing the skin as a test?

What I can see however, is that Kodi is crashing due to a problematic add-on or script. I’d hazard a guess that you wouldn’t experience this on a fresh installation of OSMC.

Thanks — is there a guide to opening it? There don’t seem to be any screws, and I don’t want to go in with picks and spudgers and end up with something I can’t put back together again :grin:

I do get the solid red light on the front of the device; after trying to update the library from Jellyfin, it stayed on for a few minutes after cycling the power

I’ve tried it with Amber and Arcic Zephyr: Reloaded. I don’t really find any of the other skins particularly usable, so a solution of “use the default skin” won’t work for me. I can try switching to the OSMC skin and resyncing the library, though — if that keeps it alive long enough for the sync to complete, I can probably switch back afterwards.

Where would I find the crash cause in the log? I can see a couple of “Oops: PREEMPT SMP” entries in the systemd log, but nothing stands out in the Kodi logs.

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t experience video playback on a fresh installation of OSMC either, as all my media is in my local Jellyfin server, so not using the Jellyfin addon won’t work for me either. This same setup does work just fine in Kodi on my Mac, though — so I’m not sure what the difference is if it’s the same addons…

If you can’t even use another skin temporarily for testing, I think it’s going to be an uphill battle getting this resolved…

It was never suggested as a solution but as a test.

It would also be good to get temperatures as suggested.

I opened the Vero and the thermal pad on the heatsink was not fully centred on the CPU (though this might have happened as I opened it) so I put it back in position.

I then reinstalled OSMC and just installed the Jellyfin plugin, using the OSMC skin, and was able to complete a library rescan without the CPU temperature getting much above 65°C, and no crashes.

I’m not sure whether the skin change or reseating the thermal pad is what’s fixed it — I’ll need to reinstall Arctic Zephyr: Reloaded and see what happens if I nuke and rescan the library — but at least I have a path forward if it is down to the skin.

Thanks for your help!

I suspect you may find it is the skin.

I’ve heard it is why quite intense. Fortunately it should be tolerated better on Vero V. We have a robust cooling system (passive) on V and it has been well tolerated by our testers.

Cool (pun intended) — thanks!