Vero 4k crashes, red light

Hi,

I had a crash, late last night. Light was red. Manually restarted it around 1am. This morning I noticed a message saying “Error updating. Please report this on the OSMC forum”

The log can be found below:

https://paste.osmc.tv/gobimobijo

Start-Date: 2018-05-23 22:03:34
Commandline: /usr/bin/apt-get-real install fail2ban
Requested-By: osmc (1000)
Install: fail2ban:armhf (0.9.6-2)
Error: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
End-Date: 2018-05-23 22:03:44

You have some packages causing issues there. What happens if you run apt-get -f install && apt-get dist-upgrade?

OK, update was successful via commandline.

Glad to hear this.

Hi,

Unfortunately, same issue happened. When i checked today morning, the red light was on again, had to manually reboot.

Here’s the most recent log:
http://paste.osmc.tv/wazuxekopa

Is the device well ventilated?

Yes, I think so :slight_smile:

Also, worth nothing that last time it’s possible i left a video i was watching on pause. Might be relevant as I remember a few versions ago, Kodi would always crash when leaving some videos paused for a long time?

It’s hard to see but is the HDD externally powered?

Sam

Yes, it is.

If the red light is turning on, it can be for a few reasons:

• Not enough power
  • Device has overheated
  • Device has shut down

Maybe you have a shut down timer enabled?

1. Not sure how to measure the power… but i can look into that.

2. In terms of temperature, current temperature is floating between 69ºC and 72ºC according to the following command:

cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

Is there any way to log the temperature every ‘x’ minutes so it can be traced back towards the time of crash?

3. No shut down timers are enabled…

Do you use any CEC functions like using the TV’s remote control as input for the Vero?

Usually I do yes. However, yesterday before the crash i was using the Vero remote.

Is there any CEC feature active with your TV which power off/put in standby devices if you switch off your TV?

I assume not because when I always turn off the TV, the VERO device continues working normally.

However, both crashes did happen after the TV was off and after 11pm which is odd… (actually not true… one of the times the TV was still ON and I was playing on my PS4)

(right now, the TV has been off for some time and VERO light is still blue)

Well, if the issue occurs often, you could deactivate cec completely on the Vero for 24 hours (and reboot) to see whether the problem still happens.
Once we know cec is involved, in the GUI logging menu there should be a flag like component specific protocols which also should cover libcec activities.

At least we could eliminate cec as possible root cause with that tiny test phase.

Just scanned your provided log set again and found this entry several times in the log

10:47:29.504 T:3944739584   ERROR: OnTvStandby - Unexpected [standby_pc_on_tv_standby] setting value

Afaik this belongs to the CEC settings which specifies what to do when the TV goes into standby. Please, could you also upload your CEC settings?

paste-log /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/peripheral_data/cec_CEC_Adapter.xml

(and provide the URL, here)

Please see below:
https://paste.osmc.tv/ararediqek

So, the ERROR: OnTvStandby with value 36028 (stands for “Ignore”) seems to be a forgotten case in a switch statement of method CPeripheralCecAdapter::OnTvStandby. Since nothing has to be done in this case, it’s just a cosmetic issue in the log.

If the unexpected red LED of the Vero also occurs if CEC is disabled, we can remove this from the list of possible root causes. Can you confirm this?

In case you see the red LED, is the Vero still accessible using SSH?

OK, I’ll test this today.

I can disable CEC from the Settings right?

Thanks,