Vero 4K crashing when left alone

I’ve just gone through the nightmare of reinstalling osmc from a (micro) SD, and then reinstalling a backup, and I have the same issues… it looks like my USB to ethernet is not connecting to the internet or my router so when I go to play a movie it says its no longer there!

I spent over 2 hours reinstalling osmc!

Hi,

Could be the dongle is drawing more power than expected or a failing PSU. Please try either an alternative PSU or connecting the USB dongle via a powered usb hub.

Have check the connection is myOSMC?

Thanks Tom.

Could the issue be that the driver for the USB/Ethernet dongle is not support correctly in the new Linux 4.9 kernel?

I thought I saw some other posts where Sam said he would add the correct drivers soon…

Hi,

Before the reinstall, did the dongle connect to to the internet/network?

What does it say in the myosmc screen?

Thanks Tom.

Before the August Kodi 19.1 update the USB/Ethernet dongle had been working fine, for what must have been a year or more, I need the dongle because without my 4K movies stutter when just my network is plugged in directly to the Vero 4K.

The problems started the moment the August update was installed.

Hi,

Please answer my actual questions. I’m trying work out if this a driver or power issue.

After the update and before the reinstall, did the dongle connect to the network/internet?

Thanks Tom.

Yes, I didn’t have any problems, I would have been able to use the setup for over a year if I was unable to connect to the internet.

The problem start right after the August install, as I have posted before… I noticed the time and date where wrong, then I started to get a “can not connect to an database” error, I posted logs and someone on here said that some ntp??? service was not being started correctly… but it’s been weeks now, and no one has helped me any further at getting this fixed.

Hi,

Ok then it sounds like a driver issue, @sam_nazarko will been able to advise if the driver will be in the next release. In the meantime I suggest patience and use the onboard.

Thanks Tom.

Well, for me it looks like the usb-ethernet adapter is defective or does not get enough power. Have you tried just for tests to connect the adapter to a powered usb hub?

Just to be sure what is the output of sudo find /usr -name *r815* and sudo lsmod |grep 815?

1 Like

Have you actually confirmed that the dongle works as expected on an older version of OSMC (i.e. November 2020 release) to rule out an issue with the dongle?

From what I can see, the adapter is not getting enough power. This update uses more power at the expense of increased performance.

Device descriptor errors in the logs won’t signify an issue with a missing driver.

Hi @sam_nazarko

The USB/Ethernet dongle I use is the Anker USB 3.0 Portable Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, which I believe uses the Realtek RTL8513 chipset. I use it because without some of my 4K movies stutter, for example 2001 A Space Odyssey is unwatchable without it.

I bought the dongle in Dec 2018 and have been using it with my Vero 4K since then without issue, however, the moment I installed the August Linux 4.9 update I experienced issues with it.

As I have posted elsewhere on these forum, when I updated to the August release my Vero 4K was not updating the time and date correctly, it was surmised by others that from my logs that the NTP service was failing to start… this it seems was down to the USB/Ethernet dongle not being initialised correctly, I also get a failure to connect to an external metadata database warning message…

Removing the dongle and inserting the Ethernet directly fixed the time and date issue.

I have done I quick search for Realtek RTL8513 chipset online, and while it’s not clear, it does seem that the Linux 4.9 kernel which I believe was part of the big August update is no longer supports the Realtek RTL8513 chipset natively.

However, if the issue is that the dongle is drawing too much power, than I must question the specification of the USB ports on the Vero 4K, as I thought they should be supply 0.5 amp each, which would be more than enough to drive the dongle.

IF however, the Vero 4k update is now drawing more power, and therefore affecting the USB ports, then I need to know, as the update has rendered by Vero 4K obsolete. It also raises the question of how suitable the Power Supply that comes with Vero 4K is, if the USB ports can now no longer drive a simple dongle.

If it is a power issue, fine… I will get a powered USB hub, but I need to know, I don’t want to spend more money only to find that it is in fact a driver issue.

Thanks

From the logs that you have provided, the issue does not seem to be driver related.

My recommendation still is to install an older version of OSMC and to see if the issue persists. This could also help us confirm whether your Ethernet dongle is faulty or not.

All power supplies degrade over time, and this is not unique to our products. The USB ports are indeed capable of outputting 500ma per port.

Without further information, this is all just speculation however.

Sam

Whilst I not happy, as I have just reinstalled the latest update via SD card I will do as you suggest.

Can I simply use the same SD card again, will the download installer reformat the card correctly, and which version do you recommend, as when I looked last time there was a whole list in the drop down menu.

Chris

Try the 2020-11.1 version.

The installer will handle everything on the SD.

Sam

@sam_nazarko

Okay, restored to 2020-11.1 and using the osmc skin.

I’m trying to restore my settings but when I click on the file it just keeps saying “Failure to read file”

Chris

@sam_nazarko

Okay, I’ve given up on restoring my settings, I’m assuming the error is because the saved settings where from the August build.

I have gone ahead and added my movie folder and everything is working fine, I can watch 2001 Space Odyssey without any issues, I can also reboot the Vero 4k from the power menu, and it works, whereas with the August update rebooting would result in the Vero 4K hanging.

So I once again have a working system while using my USB/Ethernet dongle, but this doesn’t help me know if it is a driver or power issue in the August build… so over to you…

Hi Chris,

You can’t restore settings from a newer version of Kodi as this will cause issues. You can always restore from older versions upwards however.

Can you confirm the dongle is in the black port and not the white port?

Unfortunately I don’t have a dongle to test with myself.

Sam

I’ve not unplugged them, but the dongle is in the USB nearest to the SD card slot…

Let me try and get a better understanding of the problem

1. Does the Ethernet adapter work at all on the newer update? You mentioned crashing – but it’s not clear if you were using the built-in Ethernet or the adapter.
  2. Are there any other USB peripherals attached aside from the remote dongle?
  3. Is there any kind of LED on this dongle that is illuminated during operation? If so – do you see the lights on the latest update?

Sam