Vero 4k+ HDR Optimizer?

The latest update and adjusting the Display maximum luminance to 50 when using my X30 JVC projector, i can now watch 4k HDR remux files and they look great!

Good job, i will buy another unit for the projector room.

2 Likes

A question: Itā€™s easy to return to a previous firmware that allows to change brigthtness and contrast on HDR?

You can always install an older version of OSMC from the download page.

But it would be good to know more about your issue.

Thanks.
Itā€™s not an issue, but I prefer to control the Brightness and the Contrast on HDR mode.

I have an idea for this.

2 Likes

Thank you so much.
Iā€™m waiting for your Idea.

I just installed the firmware 01/11/2020 and tue magic runs, with the HDMI on full (disabling the 16-256 option) and touching the brightness and the contrast, the details appear on screen. The Vero is capable to show the perfect HDR for every display, Itā€™s a pity that we lost it with the last Firmware.
Iā€™m happy now, the Vero 4K+ is awesome.
Two examples with different values of contrast and brightness on the Vero.

Itā€™s far from the Panasonic:

But itā€™s an excellent start.

Why are you doing that? Itā€™s a recipe for crushed whites and blacks if your display is expecting limited range.

1 Like

My Projector accepts both, limited and full range.
I tested a few movies and the image is excellent.

Hello,

Iā€™m interested in this feature. I have an Epson TW7100, a UB424 blu Ray player and a CoreElec Box.

4K HDR muxes arenā€™t watchable with my CoreElec box, and it looks like OSMC ā€œOptimizerā€ look promising. Are you using a Vero 4K or an RPI with OSMC on it ?

Thxs

Nicolas

Iā€™m using the firmware 01/11/2020, and I adjust the contrast and the brightness, the great thing itā€™s this adjustement I only made once, and the images are great, for now.

But does it affect only HDR sources or also BT709 ones ?

The OSMC HDR optimisations are only available on Vero 4K/4K+.

1 Like

Both. You can adjust file by file or for all at once. Itā€™s very useful.

Did anything ever happen about this?(Allowing Display Max Brightness to go above 350nits, that is).

not yet.

Just wondered if there is anything on the horizon re this?

Recently got another Vero 4K+ and can see the HDR-SDR is a lot better than it was ie not as dark. However it is in my opinion not as good as normal Kodi when engaging Hable as the Tone map.

Is there no way the normal Kodi HDR-SDR function could be added including the extra ā€œvideoā€ menu items?

You would lose hardware video acceleration.

Last time I looked, none of ā€˜normalā€™ Kodiā€™s tonemapping was entirely satisfactory (eg loss of highlight detail), but I see they claim some improvements in Nexus.

• Are you viewing the output from Vero and the other device (PC?) on the same display?
  • Are you able to describe exactly what it is about Kodiā€™s Hable implemenation that you think is better?

Perhaps you can upload some clips that appear different on the two devices.

Iā€™ll see if I can grab some comparison shots however moved my PC out of the lounge now which the Vero is replacing, so only Kodi I have now is on Xbox.

Viewing on same displays yes.

I know infuse on ATV also uses Hable and has similar results:

I would say the HDR-SDR image just looks a tiny bit ā€œflatā€ on the Vero.