Vero 4k+ HDR Optimizer?

Im guessing that maybe Hable has a different gamma curve, maybe something slightly closer to an S curve instead of straight / so that it brightens some of the mid-high slightly without blowing out too much highlights and slightly darkens some of the darker areas without losing too much shadow detail.

Yeah I was imagining that too. Not sure what gamma curve the Vero was given?

Either way I prefer it, not sure if itā€™s possible to do something like that with the Vero.

Iā€™ve been doing some comparisons and of the three curves offered by Kodi on other platforms OSMCā€™s is closest to Hable. The closest match is if you choose 50 or 75 nits for your display maximum luminance. Have you tried adjusting that setting?

1 Like

No but will give it a try, thanks. Just left it on the default of 100.

You can achieve a similar effect more simply by winding up the contrast to 60 or 70. But that setting is per title rather than global. Let us know how you get on.

What sort of display are you using?

I tried increasing the contrast already but as you say donā€™t want to be messing around with it really on every title. Even that I didnā€™t feel was quite there.

I use the Vero on Epson TW9400 PJ mostly but also have an LG Oled which I use more often and use to do the testing as itā€™s a bit easier to mess around with. Obviously the LG doesnā€™t need the HDR-SDR function but I prefer to send my PJ SDR.

Interesting. Initially, I adjusted our tonemap to the point where I couldnā€™t tell the difference between video played as HDR and the same video played as SDR to the same (Panasonic LED) screen. Then we benchmarked it against a Panasonic Blu-Ray player doing its fancy stuff and made some further adjustments. If we could nail what it is about Kodiā€™s ā€˜Hableā€™ curve that makes the difference we could see if we can incorporate that. I think the biggest difference is in the highlights rather than the shadows. But we canā€™t just write arbitrary OpenGL code for our GPU like you can for PC.

Finally got home so I can give your suggestion on max luminance a go.

Happy to report adjusting it to 75 seems really good.

I have a few rips where I have double dipped in 4K HDR and Blu-ray.

Tried a couple and they seem much closer now then using max luminance 100. I mean you can get obsessed with this stuff, look at the MadVR gang , but as a simple solution this is more than acceptable now. Thanks for your help.

Iā€™m afraid I canā€™t help with exactly what it is that was different with other solutions such as hable or the pana optimiser just that it had a bit more pop. Needs someone a bit more technical than me.

Thanks. If someone could write the formula for pop weā€™d be happy to implement it :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, I do have a meter and HDR test patterns so I will see if I can measure the differences. Might well be saturation/gamma differences that better explain it.

Just need some time to have a play. Will post back if I come up with anything of note.

You will need lots of that. I did attempt it a while back with, er, mixed results but what Iā€™m doing now is using a HDMI capture card.

Iā€™ll have a closer look at saturation. AMLogic do adjust that but I havenā€™t found any theories that could inform what we should do.

Still hoping you might increase the maximum allowed ā€œDisplay Max Luminanceā€ value. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a question on how to enable ā€œTonemappingā€. Is that all done in the background when disabling HDR in the Player menu? Or is it something else?

You canā€™t disable tonemapping. It happens automatically when you play HDR to a SDR display.

1 Like

Tone-mapping simply means taking a video that is encoded for a large dynamic range and converting it for display on screen that supports a smaller dynamic range. In this context it is not something that is done in addition to converting HDR to SDR, it is the name given to the process of converting HDR to SDR. If you are converting HDR to SDR, you are tone-mapping; thatā€™s just what itā€™s called.

1 Like

What is the scene from?
Can you provide a sample?