Vero 4K KODI not passing (some) HDR metadata

Not strictly true - time has been spent on it but no result yet.

Thanks for the update. I understand that there have been more pressing things to work on. I appreciate that this is being worked on nevertheless.

1 Like

@sam_nazarko Sorry to dig up this old thread, is there any word on on passing MaxCLL/MaxFALL HDR metadata using Vero4k?

Vero4k/OSMC is working beautifully with my JVC RS2000, but I am unable to use the projectorā€™s auto tone mapping feature without the metadata. Thanks!

Itā€™s working on an experimental 4.9 kernel. I think the plan is to roll that out in the next few weeks, but Iā€™m not in charge of roadmaps so donā€™t quote me.

This will indeed be seen in a new update.

Iā€™ll make a post outlining some video improvements in due course after v18 is released. We will need a lot of testing.

2 Likes

Will the Kodi 18 official update come with an OSMC kernel upgrade to 4.x version ?

No

Any chance the April update includes any HDR metadata changes? :slight_smile:

No, sorry. Kodi is not handling it yet.

We are still working on the next kernel bump.

Sam

1 Like

I know these kinds of questions are annoying, but do you have a general timeline for the next kernel bump?

I know this isnā€™t the answer you want but here comes:

When itā€™s ready!

Steering the conversation away from sassy axioms, what is the practical impact of not passing MaxFALL/CLL metadata? Iā€™ve noticed that oftentimes HDR content from OSMC appears dim or underexposed, especially in midtones. The issue is not present when watching the same content via a different source.

Is that consistent with absent MaxFALL/CLL metadata?

Not all titles feature MaxFALL / MaxCLL metadata, so it can vary by title.

There is no firm ETA for this at this point.

Sam

Varying by title is very consistent with the issue Iā€™m seeing. Some titles appear dim, some donā€™t.

If a piece of content features MaxFALL / MaxCLL metadata and OSMC isnā€™t passing that metadata, would that typically make it appear ā€œdimmer?ā€ Iā€™m using that as a catch all phrase to describe the outcome of incorrect or truncated tone mapping.

Thereā€™s a spreadsheet somewhere with a list of titles and if they pass through meta data.

It shouldnā€™t cause dimness; but passthrough of all metadata is something that will happen sooner rather than later.

Sam

I donā€™t think so. I think the differences between how studios and directors are making use of the bigger gamut/dynamic range are greater than the difference between material with MaxFALL/CLL and without.

Has anybody done a study on whether this metadata makes any difference to the picture quality?
Iā€™ve just run mediainfo on a random 8 UHD files in my collection and only 2 had the MaxFALL/CLL info and a quick google seems to suggest it is not mandatory information for decoding, only during mastering.

I donā€™t design TVs, but if I did, what would I do with MaxFALL? If it was higher than my panel could manage, would I dim the whole movie just so those few seconds would play ā€˜in proportionā€™? No - I would limit the overall level just for those few seconds, attempting to make it as unobtrusive as possible. Just the same as I would do for a movie without MaxFALL.

As for MaxCLL, I guess if it was a lot less than the maximum brightness of the mastering display I could think about adjusting the tonecurves to better suit the range of my display. But I wouldnā€™t mess with the mid-tones or darks.

Bottom line: I doubt very much if you would see any difference.

From what Iā€™ve read most consumer displays take no notice of the metadata anyway, other than the new JVC projectorā€™s Auto Tone Mapping feature.
As it seems a lot of UHD material has the metadata either missing or ā€œbest guessedā€ based on the properties of the equipment used during the HDR grading process I wonder how useful that feature actually is?

There is some interesting (depending on your point of view :smile: ) info on MaxFALL/CLL here:
https://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=118846&PageNum=2
https://www.mysterybox.us/blog/2016/10/19/hdr-video-part-3-hdr-video-terms-explained
https://www.mysterybox.us/blog/2016/10/27/hdr-video-part-5-grading-mastering-and-delivering-hdr