Vero 4K KODI not passing (some) HDR metadata

Checking in again… :slight_smile: How is this going, what’s the latest on the kernel update?

We are testing it. There will be a test thread when it’s ready for public testing

Sam

2 Likes

Do you depend on third parties to release an enabled HDR10 metadata MaxFall/Call updated version ?

I mean… The HDR10+ AML issue only affects to HDR10+ or to the HDR10 metadata too ?

If AML lib issue only affects to HDR10+ it could be a good idea to release a beta version of metadata enabled firmware before BlackFriday…

Since we are a week away from a November and we are still waiting for the kodi 18.4 update that was promised for the end of summer how far away are we from the new kernel update that brings improved HDR-> SDR etc @sam_nazarko

Difficult to put a time on it. Bringing up 4.9 is not proving very easy. I defer to Sam for 18.4 progress - not sure what the issue is there.

Thanks ! Honestly I don’t really care for 18.4 but I do care about the improvements that should be introduced with the new kernel. I was just asking about 18.4 because I imagine you don’t work on several updates at the same time but ship one and start working on the next.

Indeed. Launching a kernel update at the same time as a Kodi and/or Debian update is a recipe for disaster. But work is going on in parallel.

2 Likes

It still needs a couple more weeks to be ready.We will then open a test thread before releasing it as a stable update.

Hey there, checking in again. Is the HDR metadata being passed as planned in the new 4.9 version for which you are seeking testers?

Yes it is.

I got my Sony OLED calibrated by a (very well respected) professional last week. When we played a lossless UHD rip (The Dark Knight rises) he very quickly realised, and pointed out, how the Vero 4K was white clipping.

Spent a couple of days thinking I’d have to look at a new source devices, so was pleased to come across this thread. I assume this explains what he saw.

I also assume the “fix” is not yet available in a public update?

No - but users have confirmed it as working properly in our 4.9 kernel

Sam

1 Like

Fantastic. Is it straight forward to download a beta? No worries if not - just good to know it’s coming.

I’ve added you to the test thread. Use at your own risk :slight_smile:

Take a backup first

Thanks mate. Very comfortable wiping and re-installing. Will give it a go soon :slight_smile:

I’ve just ordered a new 4K / HDR TV to enjoy HDR content with my Vero 4K+, any ETA on when this fix will be rolled out? I am not so confident with beta testing, no idea how to re-install if it all goes wrong.

I think the only answer you’re going to get to that is “when it’s done”.

As of right this minute, I think the current 4.9 build would be better described as an alpha release rather than beta.

Hmm, I don’t agree with that. Yea, 4.9 isn’t perfect but I’d say it’s beta vs. alpha. I’ve been using 4.9 on my daily driver and haven’t had many issues.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I think I’d better leave it alone for now. How bad is HDR on the current stable version?

There will be a public build for 4.9 next week. But it won’t be released as a stable update just yet.

Sam

1 Like