Vero 4K + no longer visible on local network

Hi all,

For the last couple of years I’ve been accessing my Vero 4K + using Samba, so that I can stream media stored on my external hard drives which are attached to the Vero. I access the media over the local network from my Windows 10 PC, various Android and Chrome OS devices and also an iPad.

A couple of days ago the Vero and its connected hard drives disappeared from Windows and gave authentication errors on all my other devices. It’s as though it is no longer accepting the log in username and password details. I manually changed the password using SSH and updated it on all devices to make sure I had it correct, but still no luck. About a day before this started happening, I updated the system using sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade from Putty on my PC. I did that because I was trying to fix another issue where streams played using PVR IPTV Simple were stopping a few seconds after starting.

I’ve also tried changing the SMB protocol version to none as I saw suggested elsewhere on these forums, but the problem persists. The Vero is connected by ethernet cable to my PC and over wifi to all other devices.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

So when you try to connect via SSH you get wrong password message?
Go to MyOSMC - Network to check you use the right IP address!
Also upload logs via MyOSMC - Log Uploader and share URL maybe we see something

I can connect using SSH and run commands without issues, the problem comes when I try using samba. My android and iOS devices are saying authentication failed. I’ll check the network settings as suggested and will upload a log later. Thanks!

Ok, if you can connect via SSH then the IP address shouldn’t be the problem
IOS/Android devices sometimes use old Samba implementations which might be a problem.
On Android try X-plore just to ensure that is not the provblem.

X-Plore seems to have the same issue as my other file managers. I can see OSMC when I scan the network, but I can’t access the files using my login details. Weirdly, when I checked the IP address as you suggested, I decided to disable and re-enable the ethernet adapter and now the external hard drives connected to the Vero are showing up on my Windows 10 PC again like before. The only thing that hasn’t come back on my PC is the OSMC listing that used to appear under ‘Network’ on the left of the Windows Explorer.

I’ll create a log shortly and share it.

Instead of going through ‘Network’ just type into Explorers address bar \\192.168.x.x (but with the actual ip address) and once it comes up right click on the share of the connected drive and select “pin to quick access”. By doing it this way you will be able to bypass the slow searching for network devices that happen when you click on ‘Network’.

Thanks for the tip pal, I’ll do that once I get everything sorted again.

So, it seems that the Samba client is not starting when I reboot my Vero. I have to manually start it up by using the command ‘service samba restart’. I only noticed this when I went in to the service settings and Samba server was listed as ‘stopped’. After I manually restart Samba, my PC can connect to the external hard drives connected to the Vero fully, but I still cannot access any files on my devices using wifi. If I don’t manually start Samba, the devices don’t find my Vero at all when scanning and if I do start Samba, the devices see my Vero but I cannot access the files on it. I get authentication errors.

Here is my log file.

Thanks for the help!

Could it be a network issue between your Wifi Devices and your Ethernet connected devices? Are both networks bridged on your router?
Means all use IPs from range 192.168.1.0/24 and can freely communicate?

Also your Ethernet Connection of the Vero doesn’t look healthy

RX packets 1597  bytes 119551 (116.7 KiB)
RX errors 0  dropped 540  overruns 0  frame 0

As far as I’m aware, everything is ok with the wifi and network in general. All my devices can connect to my PC and access the files wirelessly.

What might be causing an unhealthy ethernet connection on my Vero? It has always seemed to work fine for me when streaming movies from my PC or other media online.

Well it might have been only a short period after booting that led to the drop packages as you didn’t transfer much data that might actually not the issue.

For your Samba issue maybe try to remove the server and then install again.

sudo apt-get purge samba samba-common samba-common-bin samba-libs smb-app-osmc
sudo rm -r /etc/samba/
sudo apt-get install smb-app-osmc

Sorry in advance for the wall of text below!

I get the following when I run:
sudo apt-get purge samba samba-common samba-common-bin samba-libs smb-app-osmc

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package 'samba-common-bin' is not installed, so not removed
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  armv7-libbluray-osmc armv7-librtmp-osmc armv7-libshairplay-osmc armv7-libsqlite-osmc fontconfig-config fonts-dejavu-core libaacs0 libarchive13 libasound2 libasound2-data libass9 libatomic1
  libavahi-client3 libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 libcdio18 libcrossguid0 libcups2 libevdev2 libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libfribidi0 libfstrcmp0 libgif7 libgraphite2-3 libharfbuzz0b libimagequant0 libinput-bin
  libinput10 libiso9660-11 libjansson4 libjbig0 libjpeg62-turbo liblcms2-2 libldb1 libmad0 libmariadb3 libmicrohttpd12 libmtdev1 libnfs12 libnspr4 libnss3 libogg0 libpcrecpp0v5 libplist3 libpopt0
  libpython2.7 libsamplerate0 libssh-4 libtag1v5-vanilla libtdb1 libtevent0 libtiff5 libtinyxml2.6.2v5 libvorbis0a libvorbisenc2 libwacom-common libwacom2 libwebp6 libwebpdemux2 libwebpmux3 libxkbcommon0
  libxslt1.1 libyajl2 mariadb-common mediacenter-addon-osmc mediacenter-eventclients-common-osmc mediacenter-send-osmc mediacenter-skin-osmc mysql-common python-apt python-apt-common python-certifi
  python-chardet python-crypto python-dnspython python-idna python-ldb python-pexpect python-pil python-pkg-resources python-ptyprocess python-requests python-six python-talloc python-tdb python-unidecode
  python-urllib3 python3-apt python3-certifi python3-chardet python3-idna python3-pexpect python3-pkg-resources python3-ptyprocess python3-requests python3-six python3-urllib3 tdb-tools vero3-libcec-osmc
  xkb-data
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libsmbclient* samba* samba-common* samba-libs* smb-app-osmc* vero3-device-osmc* vero3-mediacenter-osmc*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 7 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 257 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 29094 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing vero3-device-osmc (1.4.8) ...
WARNING: You have tried to remove a package that is essential to OSMC's operation.
To undo these changes, run 'sudo apt-get -f install'.
dpkg: error processing package vero3-device-osmc (--remove):
 installed vero3-device-osmc package pre-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: libsmbclient:armhf: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested:
 vero3-mediacenter-osmc depends on libsmbclient.

Removing libsmbclient:armhf (2:4.9.5+dfsg-5+deb10u1) ...
Removing samba-libs:armhf (2:4.9.5+dfsg-5+deb10u1) ...
dpkg: vero3-mediacenter-osmc: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested:
 vero3-device-osmc depends on vero3-mediacenter-osmc.

Removing vero3-mediacenter-osmc (18.9.0-4) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 vero3-device-osmc
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Am I ok to proceed with the rest of the commands you suggested?

That’s not good. Unfortunately, removing samba-libs has created a cascade deletion effect that you need to try and roll back.

So, try this command:

sudo apt-get install libsmbclient vero3-device-osmc vero3-mediacenter-osmc samba-libs smbclient

Please post the full output.

Edit. Thanks to @ooZee for spotting an error. Corrected.

1 Like

After running:

sudo apt-get install libsmbclient vero3-device-osmc vero3-mediacenter-osmc samba-libs smbclient

I get:

Building dependency tree
vero3-device-osmc is already the newest version (1.4.8).
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 smbclient : Depends: samba-common (= 2:4.9.5+dfsg-5+deb10u1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Give it a go:

sudo apt --fix-broken install

Ok, after running that I get:

Building dependency tree
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libarchive13 python-crypto python-dnspython python-ldb python-tdb tdb-tools
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
  libsmbclient samba-libs vero3-mediacenter-osmc
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libsmbclient samba-libs vero3-mediacenter-osmc
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 79.8 MB of archives.
After this operation, 257 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://security.debian.org buster/updates/main armhf samba-libs armhf 2:4.9.5+dfsg-5+deb10u1 [4873 kB]
Get:3 http://security.debian.org buster/updates/main armhf libsmbclient armhf 2:4.9.5+dfsg-5+deb10u1 [154 kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.fau.de/osmc/osmc/apt buster/main armhf vero3-mediacenter-osmc armhf 18.9.0-4 [74.7 MB]
Fetched 79.8 MB in 4s (17.9 MB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package samba-libs:armhf.
(Reading database ... 22477 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../samba-libs_2%3a4.9.5+dfsg-5+deb10u1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking samba-libs:armhf (2:4.9.5+dfsg-5+deb10u1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libsmbclient:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../libsmbclient_2%3a4.9.5+dfsg-5+deb10u1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libsmbclient:armhf (2:4.9.5+dfsg-5+deb10u1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../vero3-mediacenter-osmc_18.9.0-4_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking vero3-mediacenter-osmc (18.9.0-4) ...
Setting up samba-libs:armhf (2:4.9.5+dfsg-5+deb10u1) ...
Setting up libsmbclient:armhf (2:4.9.5+dfsg-5+deb10u1) ...
Setting up vero3-mediacenter-osmc (18.9.0-4) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.28-10) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.62) ...

They’re all installed on my V4K, so I suggest we put them back on.

sudo apt-get install libarchive13 python-crypto python-dnspython python-ldb python-tdb tdb-tools

Seems like they are already there:

Building dependency tree
python-dnspython is already the newest version (1.16.0-1).
python-dnspython set to manually installed.
libarchive13 is already the newest version (3.3.3-4+deb10u1).
libarchive13 set to manually installed.
python-crypto is already the newest version (2.6.1-9+b1).
python-crypto set to manually installed.
python-tdb is already the newest version (1.3.16-2+b1).
python-tdb set to manually installed.
tdb-tools is already the newest version (1.3.16-2+b1).
tdb-tools set to manually installed.
python-ldb is already the newest version (2:1.5.1+really1.4.6-3+deb10u1).
python-ldb set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Everything looks more stable now. Probably worth waiting for input fro @fzinken

No problem, thanks for your help pal. :+1:

Thanls for @dillthedog for fixing the mess that happend with removing the package.
So now run
sudo rm -r /etc/samba/
sudo apt-get install smb-app-osmc
that should install a clean samba.