Vero 4K Remote control going through batteries FAST

I’ve got two just under 3 year old Vero 4Ks. Everything has been going ok. It’s often a little slow loading up menus, but that’s a different issue I haven’t investigated further at this time. One is used a lot more than the other due to the room it is in.

The CR2032 battery in the remote of the one that is used more used to last a length of time that seemed perfectly fine. Long enough that I didn’t even question it.

Now though it is ridiculously short. It is maybe a week at most these days. I had thought it was because I was buying cheap batteries, however I’ve always bought cheap batteries and it used to be fine with them. So I bought some expensive ones to check, and it lasted maybe 10 days with it, if that. So something is up with the remote that is causing it to drain the batteries very quickly.

So queries are: 1) is the remote still under warranty?
2) Is there likely to be a software/firmware fix to this issue with the remote or is it hardware? Any way of identifying which it is?
3) Any ideas on what I can try to fix it?

Thanks.

Edit in: Just remembered I have a multimeter, and if I was using it correctly, the battery that apparently just died in the remote is still showing 2.8V. If I put a brand new battery in the remote works, but if I put this “used” cell in, it does not.

Have you tried re-pairing the remote?

Usually rapid battery drain is caused by congestion on 2.4Ghz bands. By re-pairing, the remote will negotiate on the best possible channel. This is not a guarantee that there will be a congestion free channel however.

It would also be good to know about your environment. Did anything change recently, like a new router or some new hardware introduced close to the device? The best way of ruling out an issue with the remote specifically would be to swap the remote and dongle with another remote and dongle in a room that isn’t experiencing issues. If the newly introduced remote and dongle then experience issues, it’s likely environmental.

If your devices are three years old, they won’t be covered by a warranty, but from the fact that they’re working, I suspect that the issue is not hardware related.

Cheers

Sam

Thanks for the tips.

I will try repairing the remote and if that doesn’t change anything, I will then try the remote from my other Vero to see what happens with it.

No hardware changes in the vicinity of the Vero box recently.

To confirm, the remote repair is as follows:

" * Remove the USB from Vero 4K / Pi

• Hold Home and OK button for 5 seconds or so, then the blue LED will keep flashing.
  • Plug in the USB receiver and the LED should flash 3 times after 5 seconds, indicating successful pairing.
  • Power off Vero 4K / Pi for 2 minutes. Turn it back on. The remote should now work."

Yes, those are the correct instructions

Sam

Put the new battery in and re-paired last week, and the battery failed today.

So doesn’t appear to be a pairing issue.

Will try the other remote later.

Just an idea: Use rubber gloves the next time you change the battery to avoid a short circuit due to the moisture on the skin.