Vero 4K+ review/first impressions (from a Vero 4K owner)

I’m probably mostly going to be echoing things others have said. I’m also coming from a RPi 3b+ in a custom 3d printed case. I was amazed how small the Vero 4K+ was. I feel like Sam should hire a hand model to get some sense of the scale of the thing. And it is fast. I have Kodi setup with MariaDB and NFS shares (native, not mounted via fstab) running on a Windows 10 machine, and there is a noticeable difference is both the UI response and the time to start for a video. On my Pi I almost got a little buffering when I started a video. There’s basically none from the 4K+. I watched Black Panther in 4K last night (getting a “safe” UHD friendly drive flashed and MakeMKV setup to do that was my other weekend project) with absolutely no issues (well except that I don’t have a 4K TV yet).

I restored my configuration from an OSMC backup of my Pi, so the setup process was pretty painless. I have a couple custom scripts I run, so I did have to reinstall Cron and Python3, but I knew I’d have to do that. The funny thing is that the 4K+ is so fast that a custom script I have to integrate my NextPVR recordings into my Kodi library wasn’t quite working right even though it was fine on the Pi… I had to put a 5 second pause in the script to allow some OS level stuff on the Windows machine to finish for everything to work.

The only caution I would share is that if you want to do IR (at least with a Harmony remote), you may have to spend some time tinkering. I tried a number of different remotes to emulate, and they were all inconsistent in terms of performance. Either I only got remote presses every once in awhile or I got six all at once. I played around with settings on the remote for an hour before I finally just plugged the FLIRC v2 I was using on my Pi into the 4K+ and moved on. I don’t love that the 4K+ has a little wart on the side now, but the FLIRC v2 is sleek enough that I’ll get over it.

Edit: I did some more searching and found a thread that helped me get my Harmony working. I documented what I did in that thread.

Now I need to decide if I’m going to move this to the test Kodi 18 builds. With Kodi in beta and stable on my test equipment, I’m itching to make the leap.

2 Likes