Vero 4K+ stops working

Can you update via USB?

I’ve already installed OSMC_TGT_vero3_20200607.img.gz from the micro sd card as I wrote. I didn’t try it from the usb card reader. Or did you mean something else?

You’re running a “DVB-T2/C USB-Stick” which seems not to be on a separate powered USB hub. Is this correct?

Correct. It’s powered from Vero 4K+. I didn’t have it connected during the re-installation and I hadn’t installed drivers and tvheadend yet. I have the clean installation of OSMC now with only the usb remove control and the network connected.

Are you sure that is Fahrenheit and not Celsius?
Because normally the Vero runs around 140°F

1 Like

Yes, I am. I turned it on after it was off longer time in that case. It didn’t have time to heat up. Today, I repeatedly turned it off and on (because it always freezes after several minutes) and checked the temperature and there was 137°F and 140°F. So it depends how long it runs. However, because it freezes from the start when the temperature is not so high, this means the freezes are not caused by the temperate.

Sounds logic. Maybe as a last check when it is running for a few minutes upload logs via grab-logs -A for a quick check if anything shows what causes this.

I’ve already upload them in this thread. I tried to do it again now, but it always froze when I connected to ssh 6 times, so it probably needs some time again. When it’s turned off longer time, I have more time to do something in ssh. I have to go now, I will grab them and upload them tomorrow.

You can start a support request to discuss returning the device if you still have issues

I mean a full log after you have done a full reinstall before configuring any services. Haven’t seen that, maybe missed it.

Ok, here it is:
https://paste.osmc.tv/uwavuriziz

How can I do that please and what all to provide?

So with this you have seen a crash from time to time with an idle Vero

Contact support@osmc.tv or raise a support ticket

I created a ticket #275342.

So with this you have seen a crash from time to time with an idle Vero

You mean there is something in the log meaning it crashed in idle?

After I reinstalled OSMC, it lives much shorter time. It usually goes to the screen of death seconds or a minute after the menu is displayed. If I unplug it and plug it back without waiting at least 20 seconds, the screen stays black and it seems it doesn’t boot or at least the menu doesn’t appear.
I have turned it on only for getting the logs, so it means I was waiting for a ssh connection and it always froze after couple of seconds or a minute, so if you consider the time when I was connected to it as ‘idle’ and the ‘crash’ as the colour screen of death, then yes, but not time to time - always - I always unplugged it from the socket since it always died and I couldn’t choose ‘shutdown’ from the menu.

No, I was just asking you if there was a crash before you uploaded the log and was clarifing if that crash was while you were not doing anything.
Anyhow let’s follow it up via your support ticket.

Thanks. I’ll follow up on the ticket tomorrow.

Sam confirmed yesterday that my Vero 4K+ is out of warranty already (the international warranty is 1 year).
I probably won’t buy a new one because I don’t believe it will survive 1 year.

So this is the end of my story.

Btw: EU warranty is 2 years.

EU law also stipulates that you must give the consumer a minimum 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) as a protection against faulty goods, or goods that don’t look or work as advertised. In some countries national law may require you to provide longer guarantees.

To be honest I’m wondering why it’s only 1 year.

I have responded to this before.

In some regions, like the UK, your warranty is up to 6 years.

See Very 4k warranty?.

If you believe that this is an inherent fault, please follow up on the ticket and we can look in to this.
In your situation, we don’t believe this is the case. If you have reported this fault within two months of ownership – then you are indeed covered for a full two years. But if the issue is reported after this, it’s not considered to be an inherent fault.

We build our products to last and stand behind this. We are certainly happy to look in to the situation, but we can’t guarantee that we will be able to replace the item under guarantee. I will look at it personally however and do my best to repair and get this back out for you promptly.

Thanks

Sam

Hello Sam,

following up on your last comment here in this thread.

I created a support ticket in September 2020 and then sent you my device at my expense. As of February 2022, the ticket is still not resolved and you still have my Vero 4K+ device.

As I wrote in my last comment in the support system, I would like to get the device back repaired or not repaired if you are unable to do so, or at the very least to refund my money.

You have not responded to my last comment there for 3 months. Can you please look at the ticket and try to do something with resolving the case?

Also, it doesn’t seem fair to me to pay for shipping again. If you do not communicate and do not want to send the device back to me just because you don’t want to pay the shipping, let me know.

Thank you.

The device was out of warranty and we offered to look at the device as a gesture of good will, but I made it clear that we could not guarantee that we could repair it.

We attempted to repair the device but it is not possible. As the device failed after over a year, we did not determine or believe that the device was inherently faulty. If it was – you would have been entitled to have the issue redressed for up to six years.

As the repair attempt was made out of warranty as a good will gesture, we did state that any return shipping costs would be at your expense unless there was an inherent fault. If you would like to receive the device back, then this can still be arranged.

Hopefully this now makes things clear. We can’t provide you with a refund for a device that is almost three years old.