Vero 4k with only front red led visible

My new Vero 4k+ arrived Saturday :slight_smile: and no blue light just the red light on boot, no problem the box is tucked away anyway but just thought you should know. Maybe a new innovation for the 4k+ ?

Hi,

Blue Led was removed from the 4k+, see here:

Thanks Tom.

Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

“We have also removed the front facing blue LED which some users found too bright; but retained the red LED for standby and recovery modes.”

I shall consider my self spanked for not reading enough :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @sam_nazarko My blue LED died, it flickers sometimes when pressing buttons… I’ve only it had it since 5/18/17 … is it still covered?

The warranty on the unit is one year. The LED failing isn’t indicative of anything else going wrong

Sam

1 Like

Ok great to hear that it shouldn’t cause an issue with actual functionality. I just got my 4K+ & moved my original 4K into the living room. Wife hated the blue LED in bedroom. Same day after I moved Vero 4K out of the bedroom the blue LED died.

3 Likes

That’s pretty funny.

2 Likes

Hello Sam,
Thank you for sending out the new Power Supply Unit. The unit arrived last week and I put the unit to work straight away. That said though there has not been a significant change in the Vero4k performance with the change in PSU.

Follow up background
After you wrote about sending out the new PSU, the Vero4k started to behave, noting that the blue LED is more or less out now. But this last week, with the kids at home for the holiday, and me being available to watch more TV. I started to note the same issues regarding live TV starting to have mini-pauses very randomly at different times of the day.

But annoying it appears to be farly random. Last night we could not watch the news, due to lots of mini pauses. Right now the live stream is great. Everything to the Vero4k is streamed via wifi, and nothing else appears to be having wifi issues in the house.

I changed wall sockets for the troublesome Vero4K and again no change in performance. I completed a recent shutdown and restart with the debug log active. I’m not sure this will help. During the initial start up there is a Emby server sync, which appears to load up the CPU. But after the sync (couple of mins) the CPU loading appears to settle down. That said after the sync time period the live TV had a few mini pauses (circa 1 second time).

Log file - https://paste.osmc.tv/yuyocajake

Hopefully the log will reveal something. I have an option in that I can look to swap the effected Vero4k for a second unit that I use. The second unit uses the same profiles, but works solely of ethernet.
Another option is that the troublesome Vero4k used to work best on Wifi only but I could revert to a powerline adapter and ethernet.

Have you measured the wifi throughput over a longer period?

Looks like you have a quite large number of timers configured could it be that the regular checkup of them impacts your performance?

@sandboy01 in addition to @fzinken:

I see you get the video stream from a TVHeadend server 192. 168.1.202, your OSMC system has 192.168.1.204, so the data has to travel via Wifi.
Since LOTS (!!!) of stalled and stillframe messages it really looks the bandwidth between your OSMC box and the TVheadend server is often insufficient.

Hello

Yes I use a TVheadend server on a synology NAS for ease of recording and central distribution to other TV units. I have a number of TV shows that I record through the server.

The Vero4K used to work very well, with minimal, trouble, then the issues, which co-incided with the blue LED failing (which I presume is irrelevant but marks the moment of trouble) I haven’t tested the bandwidth issue over a longer period, if you have a method to do this or a link, then I would be happy to try.

Use iperf3 and you can set -t 600 to test for 10 minutes

Excellent thanks for the note I’ll check into this over the next few days.

Just to be sure you can also put such TVheadend recording (typically a .ts transport file) to a fast USB pendrive or USB hdd and see whether any micro-stutter still exists if the storage is connected to the Vero. If the problem remains you don’t have to concentrate on the Wifi otherwise it is another indirect hint pointing to the network.

Hello,
Thanks for the help on this. I think I found the issue and a silly answer. The wifi I was locked onto must have jumped to a back of house wifi access point (with separate SSID). As soon as I thought about what you had written I check the Vero4K box and I saw the issue.

But I completed the test, iperf for 10 mins.
I’m using the apple extreme ac model - 2.4 Hz line, and transferred 825 Mbytes, 11.5 Mbits/sec bandwidth, pretty much both directions. Still not great though but the live TV performance was much improved.

Out of interest I changed the Vero4k back to the wifi access point at the back of the house - wifi n signal - 2.4 Hz line, and transferred 128 MBytes, Bandwidth 1.95 Mbits/sec. Hence this pretty much confirmed the issue.

@JimKnopf thanks for the note regarding the local view option. I haven’t tried this but looks like the problem is with the wifi link.

I’ll look to switch on the 5GHz wifi signal to see if that improves the bandwidth. I moved the primary router a few months ago, to improve overall wifi performance in the house. I didn’t test the 5GHz frequency at the time though.

Many thanks

1 Like