Vero 4k With Samsung q990c Soundbar

I’ve been using my vero 4k to watch 3d mvc movies directly connected to my lg 3d oled tv. I just got the Samsung q990c soundbar which has atmos so I hooked the vero up to it since my TV doesn’t have eARC. However, when I do this the mvc movies don’t play in 3d anymore. Is there any way to get the 3d to work while connected to a receiver like this?

You could try and force a 3D EDID. For now let’s see a log and see what capabilities the soundbar is advertising

Here’s my logs https://paste.osmc.tv/epenefenow

How could I go about forcing the edid?

From that log, there’s no need to force anything. Maybe the soundbar just doesn’t support 3D?

So you’re saying even if I forced the edid to say it supported 3d it wouldn’t work passing through?

Probably not, no.

Any other way you know of to get atmos to the soundbar while still doing 3d? Is there a way to show the mvc 3d in full sbs or tab and manually switch the TV to 3d?

You could consider a HDMI splitter. Have you looked on other forums to see if others are reporting issues with 3D through the q990c? Maybe @tanio99 can suggest something?

From the specs I can see that the soundbar has 2 HDMI inputs. Did you check both of them?

I just tried the other hdmi port and it still doesn’t pass through the 3d. I thought about the hdmi splitter idea but then I’d have to turn off hdmi cec and that would screw up all my other devices. Is there a way for kodi to output in sbs or ou so it wouldn’t matter that the TV is in frame packed mode?

You mean to output everything (MVC, Half-SBS/TAB and Full-SBS/TAB) as Full-SBS/TAB? That’s unfortunately currently not supported.

I mean outputting the MVC files as Full SBS or TAB. So that’s not supported?

Right, that’s currently not supported.

So I actually just tried the HDMI splitter and it works now! The weird thing is as long as I have the TV connected to one of the splitter outputs the soundbar now can pass the 3D on its own. So maybe the EDID idea @sam_nazarko had is good after all? Either of you know how I can force a 3D EDID on the soundbar so I don’t have to go through the splitter?

Plug your vero into the TV and
echo save bin ~/myedid | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/edid
Then you can retrieve that with
echo load ~/myedid | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/edid
when playing through the soundbar.

See if that works. If it does we then need to cobble together an edid that includes the 3D video and all the audio capabilities of the soundbar.

Sweet, that worked. And I actually saved the edid that was on when 3D and atmos were both working on the soundbar via the splitter and that kept both the 3D and the atmos. So is there a way to auto apply this each time or will it from now on? Thanks!

We could give you some commands to allow you to do this on each boot, but instead I think we should introduce some infrastructure that looks for and loads an EDID if it’s found in a certain place.

I’ll talk to @grahamh about this.

With Kodi v21, you can now place a file called ‘edid’ in /lib/firmware and this will be used persistently.

Nice, will that be coming soon in an osmc update?

Yes. There are test builds here: [TESTING] Kodi v21 release builds

They are stable. I expect to release this as a normal update at the end of this week.

1 Like