Vero V missing keypresses & pairing other osmc remote

The same situation on my Vero V :frowning: It is so annoying

1 Like

I will update this thread when I have some news to give. Fortunately this should be solved soon.

Has anyone tried removing the internal V dongle and placing the 4K dongle inside the V to see if that helps?

I know the OP didn’t have anything plugged into the USB3 port but like one of the team members mentioned, the newer dongle is more sensitive overall so it could be something else in the vicinity and not the USB3.
The USB3 would just be the first suspect since it’s been a known interference for a long time and over many devices.
So if you had a 4K and just bought a V, maybe putting the 4K dongle inside the V and using the 4K remote is a good work around.
Now you can take the V remote and dongle and plug that into your 4K which doesn’t have USB3 and may also have less interference now since you may be moving the 4K to a different location, like a bedroom, where you have less AV equipment.

I don’t have my V yet, but that’s what I would be trying out.
I have eight USB3 HDDs attached to my 4K+ right now (albeit plugged into a USB2 port), so I probably have the most extreme worst case scenario for potential dongle interference!

Yes, but I would discourage anyone from doing this as you will be voiding your warranty. Additionally great care would need to be taken as the leads for the wireless antennas are quite short and delicate and it wouldn’t take much for someone to break them during disassembly. If you want to use your earlier model remote with the V just plug it into the external USB 2 port and call it a day. The internal dongle does not have to be removed in order to use additional remotes.

If they are spinning rust, probably not. Solid state seems to be more problematic. If you physically place your connected devices towards the rear of the V this should give you the best result short of separating them by a greater distance.

1 Like

Is the remote from the OSMC store is the version that has problems with USB3? I have that remote from the OSMC store, bought 3 years ago and it works flawlessly with Vero V unlike the new remote that comes with Vero V.

Thanks

A remote purchased three years ago would be different than what is shipping right now. That hardware is no longer available to be sourced unfortunately. There is work in progress on hardware revisions that will improve upon the current model.

2 Likes

I can confirm missing keypresses on my Vero V as well. Hope this will be solved soon.

1 Like

I just set up my new Vero V today, and it’s missing lots of remote button presses too. It seems to happen for a while (several seconds) then starts working again.

I also noticed some clicks and pops on the audio when navigating the GUI too. Not sure how or why as that’s entirely over HDMI-ARC.

I’ll try my old Vero4K+ dongle/remote at some point to see if that fixes both problems.

Try enabling the option in Kodi’s audio settings for keeping the audio device alive and see if that makes the clicks and pops stop.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try that. It didn’t occur to me that might be the problem since it never happened with the Vero4K I swapped out.

Perhaps the audio settings are configured differently on your Vero 4K +

Can you outline if these hardware revisions will be applicable to those who buy Vero V right now?
Also has it been verified that this issue only occurs if there’s something connected to USB-3 port?

Basically contemplating if I should buy Vero V (current revision) or wait for an updated HW. Intend it to use it long term like Vero4K+ so less issues the better.

The current revision remote in ideal situations can work without skips up to 40’ (12m) in my testing. In less than ideal situations this can be reduced considerably. If there is a device connected that is communicating using the USB 3.0 protocol this will reduce the range your getting further but in my testing could still, In the most optimal of situations, still be upwards of 20’ (6m) without dropping key presses. How well it works is going to be highly dependant on your environment so it would be impossible to predict how well the remote will work for you. The previous model remote could do better, but like I had previously stated, this could no longer be sourced. There is work being done to improve the remote but when that will be released, and what form that will take is something that can’t be stated at the moment.

The decision of if you should wait is up to you. The new remote may be problem free for you. You also have the option of plugging in your existing Vero remote as some others have done, or use a different remote entirely.

1 Like

We will make an external USB receiver available at cost, likely before the end of the month. This should resolve the issue for anyone that experiences a problem. So worst case scenario: you’ll need an external receiver.

We will of course see what else can be done in the future to improve this, but this will likely be the long term solution for users that experience less than satisfactory range with the remote.

The only audio setting differences in the diff between my Vero4K guisettings.xml and the new VeroV guisettings.xml are the audiodevice details, which I guess is hardware dependent. (And now that I have set streamsilence, that too.)

--- guisettings.xml     2023-10-03 10:57:03.876019328 -0400
+++ /home/osmc/guisettings.xml.vero4k   2023-09-11 21:53:38.000000000 -0400
-    <setting id="audiooutput.audiodevice">ALSA:hdmi:CARD=AMLAUGESOUND,DEV=0</se
+    <setting id="audiooutput.audiodevice">ALSA:hdmi:CARD=AMLMESONAUDIO,DEV=0</s

Thanks, this does appear to have done the trick. I will still try out my old remote and dongle though.

1 Like

Just a reminder for those having remote issues, a great work around is to use a Kodi remote app on a smart phone or tablet.
I’m oldskool, so I use the remote, but everyone one else in my family prefers to use the Kodi remote app Yatse.
You can find it hear: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.leetzone.android.yatsewidgetfree&hl=en_US&gl=US
I have to admit, it’s very nice.
Especially for navigating your library and choosing something to play.
It’s very snappy.
But once a video is selected to play, I prefer to have the real remote next to me if I need to pause or skip or something.
I don’t like having a smart phone or a tablet on the couch next to me while I’m watching; I’ll probably knock it on the ground or something, and if it’s on the coffee table I’m too lazy to reach for it once I’ve sunken in.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not a fix, but a great work around for those interested, so I’m just throwing that out there.

2 Likes

I’ve just received and set up my Vero V. Used the OMSC backup/restore with a USB thumb-drive from my Vero4K and it worked really great.

The only fly in the ointment right now is the range/missing keypresses with the new remote.

I have a free line of sight from the remote to the Vero V and a distance of ~2 m and it is still performing subpar (missing keypresses) compared to the Vero4K remote.

I hope there can be some software adjustments in the future to improve the performance/sensitivity of the remote.

At 2M that is surprising.

Is the USB still attached by any chance?

No. Popped out the USB as soon as the restore was complete.
The remote works, only that it seems really fussy about needing to be directly pointed towards the Vero to properly send every keypress even at a relatively short distance.